back to article Facebook: Oi, Lizard Squad – we can take down our own site, ta

A technical cockup – rather than hostile hacker action – is apparently the reason Facebook, Instagram and other Web 2.0 sweethearts fell off the internet on Monday. Prankster hacking crew Lizard Squad was gloating over the downtime; Tinder also disappeared for a while during the outage of Facebook and its photo-sharing sister …

1. I Am Spartacus
    Coat

Stop the front page

Facebook goes down and won't update news stories.

BBC: STOP THE PRESS, HOLD THE FRONT PAGE! This is a TOP NEW STORY.

Oh dear, overreaction anyone?

Mines the one with "YouTwitFace for Dummies" in the pocket.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: Stop the front page

Yes but how will the news sites get any news with Facebook and twitter down?

How will the Reg be able to insert #randomblokesays halfway into articles to pad them out ?

1. big_D Silver badge

Amazing, isn't it? The world managed to get news for the last several thousand years without Facebook and co. but in a matter of a few years journalistic research seems to have become extinct.

If it didn't happen on Web2.0 first, it didn't happen.

A gas explosion in on a housing estate killed 20 peopley, you say? I can't find it on TwitFace, so it can't be true.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It is a real problem for the many news organisations that are replacing their journalists with interns and web-savvy hipsters.

2. fajensen

The Norks did it! We should bomb someone!! Immediately!!! For the Children!!!!

2. eJ2095

Oh no

How i will know if its snowing or not now facebook was down......

3. Dan Paul

Overreaction across the board.

Just as the Morons in NYC overreacted (I'm from Buffalo you NYC wimps) and shut down the whole city as they declared a "State of Emergency" over 4-6" of snow, the internet has overreacted at the temporary loss of social media.

Really, who fucking cares if some twit can send pics of his private parts to some slut on Tinder or Instagram or Snapchat.

It seems that these narcissists can't live without their "fix" of instant gratification. On the informational front, there is NO factual information of any value that can be provided by social media, only opinion or hearsay.

This means that if you think you are missing the "News" because the Twatter feed is down, you are sadly mistaken and have no life. Please help save the world and use the suicide booth. The NEWS is not on social media, hipsters and bloggers can provide color commentary and opinion but not real news. The other issue is that there are almost no real journalists left, the good ones are anchors, the bad ones are bloggers and the really bad ones are at MSNBC.

Grow up and get a real relationship with someone that does not require a hardware/software intermediary for you to communicate with. You could try having an actual speaking conversation in "meatspace" you meathead! Sex is so much better when you do it with real people except you never learned how.

4. Aleph0
    WTF?

Am I the only one to find strange how all those web properties have fallen more or less at the same time? Perhaps some not yet publicly disclosed vulnerability requiring a mass reboot to patch?

5. sisk
    Trollface

Let's be fair here

If MySpace went down for a few hours would anyone actually notice?

6. Anonymous C0ward

MySpace

If a tree falls in the forest, etc.

1. asdf

Re: MySpace

was going to post the same thing along with everyone else i guess.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Everyone makes judgements. Fear is like a disease.

"...the bad ones are bloggers and the really bad ones are at MSNBC."

Moving way down the line we find the complete morons at FOX.

http://www.france24.com/en/20150119-fox-news-backtracks-totally-muslim-zones-uk-france-birmingham/

8. MrDamage Silver badge

And in other news...

Workplace productivity was up 76%, and students were spotted actually paying attention to the teacher/lecturer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like