back to article You'll get sick of that iPad. And guess who'll be waiting? Big daddy Linux...

After such a banner year of Linux releases it might seem overly pessimistic to pause and ask this question: is there a future beyond this? The answer is, of course, "yes" – or rather it's yes, but... The qualifying "but" can take many forms, depending on who you talk to and what their stake is in the game. Even if you take …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd try Linux mobile

Have 2 high-end Andriod tablets (his 'n' hers) here. Identical. One rooted, one not. They both suffer the same childish, sucky, frustrating and poor user experience. Apps hang, updates forever needed, running out of space on the internal partition ...

Other halfs unrooted Android phone sucked donkeys too. Apps crashing, refusing to update apps because of "low memory". Maybe I can't blame google for the carriers insistence on a shedload of apps we didn't want, need, nor could remove (Facebook being the worst).

So our - admitted limited, but hardly narrow - Android experience has set a low bar for the competition.

Windows Mobile, btw (foisted on me at work) has been 100% rock-solid. Probably a lot easily with no apps, but it's really clean thought out UI. With a couple of features which I'm amazed haven't made their way into Android.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: I'd try Linux mobile

I agree, switch from a "decent" Samsung Android to a cheap Win8.1 and I'm amazed at the difference I've rebooted it once since I've had it. I NEVER had to kill an app, don't even know how to. Unlike the Samsung, where it was almost the norm to do and a reboot was required at least once a week.

The "basic" apps are way better than the stock android ones Here being MASSIVELY better than Google maps (Google WHY do you think I can park on a motorway?), Xbox Music is better than the stock android one, the People app is better than anything I've found on either Android or iOS, and the navigation and settings just seem so more sensible.

BUT, the big downside is the lack of 3rd party apps such as shopping, utility bills and so on.

1. The Original Steve

Same experience here. Moved to Win Pho 8.1 after getting tired if having to manage my partners and my own android phones. We haven't looked back since.

Apps are an issue still, but much better than it was. Most apps I want such as for utility bills I've pinned the web page to start and enabled autocomplete for the credentials - works nearly as well.

I hear Droid is getting better, but a few extra apps and starting to try and match iOS and WP8.1 stability just isn't enough of a lure right now.

2. Lee D Silver badge

Have not used the Samsung tablet much but have Samsung Android smartphones. Killing app is a rarity. Rebooting is unheard of (admittedly, a couple of times a year I forget to charge it, but that's probably WORSE as it's a hard-crash when it does that).

Not sure what you're doing differently, but I've not had that experience. With my old Galaxy Ace, yes, I ran out of space all the time. But that was because the space was so pitiful and things insisted on going on the internal RAM first even if you used apps to move them to SD later. And, yes, Facebook is one of the worst culprits - it seems to grow madly over time, requiring you to Clear Data and log back in. God knows what's it doing.

But I've deployed other Android tablets in schools and we don't have these problems either.

This Christmas, I went to my Italian girlfriend's family. At one point in the room there were three new Samsung tablets, four new Samsung phones, and whatever we had in our pockets (almost entirely Samsung). We were teaching people how to use some of them, but others had been using for years. I don't think we killed a single app or rebooted once, even with the kids taking over and installing every free app they could get their hands on.

As resident techy guy - even with a language barrier - I got called on for all sorts. But the tablets and phones never figured except to show people how to use them. I did have to fix two iPhones that had gone muppet, however. And nobody even had a Windows phone. Bear in mind that dozens and dozens of relatives and friends came and went over the period and they all know me as the techy guy who fixes things for them.

And, no, I've never rooted anything either. The biggest problems I've ever had with Android tablets were the cheap ones not coming with Play Store so I had to fudge an old APK onto them and then update.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"You'll get sick of that iPad. And guess who'll be waiting?"

Microsoft with a Surface Pro?

A move from IOS to Android is surely a downgrade.

4. John Sanders
      Linux

"""Apps crashing, refusing to update apps because of "low memory"."""

Note I'm not defending Android here.

If you take away the concept of storage & file system from any modern multi-purpose computer system, and make the OS assume all sort of things as to what it its that the end user wants to do with the device, you end with these problems.

Add those concepts back and the wife struggles to understand the concept of backing up the device, removing old pictures and videos and cleaning the logs of Whatsarse, and she will complain that she doesn't have to study IT to be able to use the mobile phone.

People is lazy and they want all the benefits with none of the work.

Having said that, Android sucks, but it sucks less because it lets me do with the phone what I want, sucking less just means that, not that it is good, I find appalling that it comes with almost no search capabilities at all, and no, the google search APP does not count.

5. thames

"Windows Mobile, ... Probably a lot easily with no apps"

Well, if having "no apps" makes it easier to use, why not just buy a feature phone then? They're a lot cheaper, the battery lasts a lot longer, and they "no apps" either. Pretty much everything that comes built-in with a smart phone comes built-in with a feature phone.

Oh, and did I mention feature phones are a lot cheaper? As in you can buy one outright for less than what a lot of people are paying per month on their multi-year mobile phone contract which they signed to pay for that smart phone that they don't need because they don't buy loads of stuff from the app store anyway?

1. mdava

"Well, if having "no apps" makes it easier to use, why not just buy a feature phone then?"

A fair point, but when the OP says no apps he means (and you know that he means) "only the basic apps".

I use only a fairly limited set of apps but I am both happy with them and wouldn't give them up: Email, Browser, Maps, eBay, Calendar, What'sApp, Camera/Editor and MP3 player is probably 95% of what I use my smartphone for, the other 5% being made up of other apps, calls and texts.

6. Talamasca

In my somewhat unique profession, I do route surveys for oversized loads. Which means my contracted employer gives me dimensions of an object that needs to be transported over public thoroughfares, from here to there, and it's my job to determine how to get it there.

I still use an LG Nexus 4, from what, two years ago? I can print maps, routes, location pics, Google Earth, and anything else I want or need from this phone, in 99% + of anywhere in this country.

OS management/understanding is paramount with any flavor of any modern device.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And when we get back, desktop Linux will be there waiting with open arms.

Indeed. Windows is no longer a desktop OS, I've clung onto Windows 7 for too long - the last desktop OS by Microsoft - The Win10 preview was no better so I've ditched Windows in favour of a proper desktop experience that Linux Mint provides.

Let me thank Microsoft for repeatedly stabbing me in my eye, making me get off my arse to find something better.

1. NumptyScrub

The majority (by far) of the vehemence I've seen directed at Win 8 is from having a touch optimised interface on a non-touch device (TIFKAM on the desktop). And then I read this in the article:

It's still a ways off, but Melamut reckons Ubuntu for phones and Ubuntu desktop will "ultimately… converge into a single, full operating system that will work across different form factors from mobile to tablet and PC."

Which is exactly what MS tried with Win8, have the same experience across phone, tablet and desktop, and which (due to the interface) annoyed so many people. I've already seen echos of the TIFKAM vehemence aimed at Unity, so it's up to Canonical to avoid all the mistakes and pitfalls MS faceplanted into if they don't want the same level of revulsion at this converged (device agnostic?) Ubuntu.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm not a fan of Unity (or Ubuntu for that matter), but Unity does look a lot more tasteful than Metro. It's "nasty non-traditional desktop" done right. Also, Linux allows different interfaces.

Perfect "convergence" should be:

- Is there a keyboard + mouse? Show the taskbar and a decent menu that doesn't take over the screen.

- Is there just a <15" touch-screen? Then give them a screen full of large icons.

- Does the user have a difference preference? Then give them what they want.

It's not hard.

1. mmeier

Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga: What will you show? The unit has a 12.5'' touch screen (Actually WACOM+touch) AND keyboard/mouse (Trackpad). Depending on the mode it is a tablet pc or an ultrabook. And then there is docking and the two external 2x'' monitors... And there are more units like that.

Win8 may not be "best possible" but IMHO it is very decend in both jobs without needing guesswork from the system "what display is right now". And once one account uses multiple boxes (say with an AD style system of centralized login) "setting user preferences" gets a hassle of it's own. What is the preference?

1. Paul Kinsler

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga: What will you show?

er ... some sort of customizable ui with buttons/icons/menus/whatever allowing the user to easily switch between profiles (e.g. per interface type)?

Then, even if the system's first guess (or last state) is wrong, it can be swiftly changed.

In a simple sense, I/we already do this on my home linux box where a quick ctrl-alt-Fn swaps between consoles and various resolutions of X and/or user accounts. Likewise, I could easily (I suppose) run a touch-based thingy on vt9 on my yoga, should I want to.

1. mmeier

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga: What will you show?

Win 8.1 can do that. It works as long as you do not use more than one computer with the same account. Otherwise you may well end up switching your current maschine to the other mode. OR simply say "start in Modern" since that works on ALL devices as a starting point.

2. John Sanders
          Pint

And AC is...

The winner of Friday's pint!

3. Peter Simpson 1
          Thumb Up

I'm not a fan of Unity (or Ubuntu for that matter)...

Try Mint MATE. I used to be a big Ubuntu fan, but then they went down the Unity path and I went looking for something more traditional. Mint seems to be it.

4. thames

"Perfect "convergence" should be: - Is there a keyboard + mouse? Show the taskbar and a decent menu that doesn't take over the screen."

The version of Unity that gets shipped with the desktop version is a desktop UI. It is keyboard and mouse oriented, not touch.

The new stuff in Unity has been going into the mobile version. When that's ready, it will get incorporated into the desktop version.

How it is supposed to work is that it automatically detects a keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. You can even hot-plug them. When you plug the device into a desktop (keyboard, etc.), you get the keyboard version of the UI. If you unplug those and just have a touch screen, you get the mobile touch oriented version. Both UIs are similar, but they're not identical. They're similar enough that you are supposed to be able to switch between them without too much mental gear changing.

The apps are supposed to be written to automatically adapt between the two modes. So, if you are using a Twitter client in mobile mode and then plug in a keyboard and mouse, it is supposed to adapt itself to desktop mode. You don't have to use one client for phone and a different client with a different feature set for desktop mode.

There are videos on Youtube which you can search for if you want to see how it all works. I suspect that everyone will go this way, to unify the desktop and mobile app markets if for no other reason.

1. wdmot

What if you want to use keyboard, trackpad, *and* touchscreen? There have been times, particularly when playing a certain game, I've lost track of where the pointer went (often because the trackpad interpreted palm touch as finger movement) and it would be much quicker to just tap the screen than to look around for the pointer.

5. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's not hard.

It's just that's no-one has come any where near accomplishing it yet.....

I don't expect they were trying that hard. Once a random group of self important open source nerds get their hands on the problem it'll be sorted. For them. Because they like editing configuration files and piping things to grep.

Your Nan's mileage may vary....

3. Zog_but_not_the_first Silver badge
    Trollface

So, 2015

Is going to be the year of Linux?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So, 2015

It's been the year of Linux for some time.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Trollface

Every year since 2001 heard...

2. Michael Thibault
        Trollface

>It's been the year of Linux for some time.

Obviously, very large values of "year" involved here. Or what was originally said, long ago, was "ya hear of linux" and it's yet to be put right.

2. Naich

It's been the year of the Linux desktop in our house since about 2008. It's been the year of the Linux desktop in my parent's house since 2012.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The end of (insert popular device name here)! Finally, this will be year of Linux Desktop!

"With Windows 8 proving unpopular with power users and OS X Yosemite eliciting pointed criticisms and even talk of Apple losing some of its "just works" magic, the Linux desktop may well be the refuge power users and developers are looking for."

Are you aware that power users and developers worth their salt already know enough about computers to decide the OS and tools they want? I'd even say some power users can change the OS they work as long as the tools they need are there.

"When Apple’s iPad arrived, pundits proclaimed the end of the PC and so forth, but what we learned from dabbling in mobile is just how valuable our laptops really are. And when we get back, desktop Linux will be there waiting with open arms."

So you're describing the vast amount of power users that decided to throw their laptops in a volcano when the iPad came out and now are longing to "get back" to real computing so they will run desktop Linux? "we"?

I have an iPad for light browsing and Angry Birds, Linux Mint on a workstation and Linux VMs for Real Work (tm) -- development, number crunching, image processing and data visualization. I know the differences between the devices and their limitations, even so I don't feel I am one of your so-called power users.

5. wheelybird

Now I'm sure there's a mobile "version of Linux" knocking about some shops somewhere. Now I think of it, I recall there was an amazingly successful crowdfundy thing to produce a tablet for it to run on. Now what's it called again? HoverfishOS? SailpigOS? No, it's gone. If only I was a technology journalist writing about Linux on mobile devices then I'd be bound to have heard of it.

And then there was that other one, netOS? webOP? You know, the one that used to be in phones and tablets in the shops, and is now on TVs and Audi watches.

And that new one just released in India that'll be on phones, tablets and TVs soon. Tizer? Tiger?

I recently bought a Nexus 4 in order to try out other Linuxy-based OSes. Ubuntu easily trounces FirefoxOS, but I found the UI to be a bit of a mess - a half-hearted implementation of gestures, a confusing home screen system with "scopes" that offered difficult-to-get-to home screen personalisations.

No mobile OS around at the moment beats the user experience of webOS. Shame no-one's reviving that for phones and tablets.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iOS and OS X

As a long-time Apple user(/fanboi), I don't think it's quite fair to say that iOS (or OS X for that matter) have 'lost their way' entirely, but it is true to say that every Apple release now brings a slew of irritating user experience bugs and these bugs just don't seem to get fixed any more. Apple does need to try harder here.

I'm just pleased we've got past the Scott Forstall era of tacky, excessive and unwanted skeuomorphism (a calendar application with fake stitching, ugh! What were they thinking...) During the Forstall years, Windows Phone looked very modern. Now - not so much.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: iOS and OS X

Header in the article: Windows and iOS lost their way..

.. which was then totally NOT underpinned by any valid argument, at least not on the iOS front. You could argue that Windows has lost its way, but I think that's a matter of interpretation - it's more accurate to state that it's trying to claw back on the rails after the double train wreck of Vista and the Office ribbon interface. But iOS? No.

As I have said many times before, the year of Linux is really the year of the better UI. The key issue with Linux is not technology, the whole "movement" (no, stop thinking about your bowels) is replete with tech people. No, the problem is that there nobody listening to users (I first wrote "talking to", but that's exactly the problem) and translating that into a UI that actually delivers. There is an opportunity there because Apple has dropped a few stitches in OSX (alongside practically borking DNS resolution), and has partially gone the Microsoft way of features over functionality. No doubt that will be corrected at some point, but there is now an opening for something that is SIMPLE and EFFECTIVE. As a matter of fact, it would not be a stupid idea to just enrol a couple of old folks into UI discussions - they tend to be direct, and will make the exact mistakes you have to help the user with.

As a slight aside, I'm presently dealing with some older folks and despite that being a growth industry - the population in most countries is aging, not just in Japan - I have been astonished at how little support there is for them in terms of readability and ability to lock a device down so that a simple wrong move won't result in a call to Support because the device no longer looks like what they are used to and they have no way to return to a known state. Even large TVs are stacked to the rafters with crap you cannot lock out (yes, Samsung, I'm talking about Smarthub). It's appalling.

Anyway, back to topic: listening to the user could indeed make 2015 the year of Linux. But it requires a willingness to actively listen to criticism from the one group that is traditionally ignored in IT: the users. Personally, I think that's a bridge too far but I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.

1. DropBear Silver badge

Bwahahaha, non-commercial developers listening to complaints from users... go on, pull the other one! Not that commercial devs always do listen (far from it), but in my experience the OS mantra is, overwhelmingly, "that's supposed to (not) work like that, wonfix, now BUGGER OFF - yeah, we mean all several hundreds of you complaining about the same exact issue and by the way you're all idiots".

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"non-commercial developers listening to complaints from users... go on, pull the other one! Not that commercial devs always do listen (far from it)"

Six of one and half a dozen of the other in my view. If either side were to produce what every user agreed was the ideal product they'd still go ahead & try to fix what wasn't broken. Commercial devs need to have the next version to sell, non-commercial just because they want to.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

listening to the user could indeed make 2015 the year of Linux

Linux is already geared towards it's users - that's why millions of people have jumped through hoops and make an effort to install it, it's not given to people on a plate - it's not even given as a choice.

For me, it's good the way it is.

7. solo

Been there, done that.

"..getting you search results, Facebook updates and simple ways to share photos.."

Will these 99.99% of guys still be doing only social updates 10 years from now? What then?

8. Necronomnomnomicon

Linux is possibly the only platform where the same OS on PC, server, mobile and tablet make sense

As so many of the applications are command-line first with a GUI stuck on top. Means that porting an application is just a matter of re-designing the GUI, not the functionality beneath.

I look forward to seeing an actual proper Linux tablet, but I still think it's going to take a lot of effort from someone (Canonical?) to get an actual physical product into a store where people can actually see, try and buy it.

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: Linux is possibly not the only platform

Most users don't care about the OS. They care about features that work for them.

So the idea that mobile Linux is going to sell to the hordes because it's Linux is disconnected from reality in every possible way.

At best it's going to sell to a small nerd herd. No one else is going to care, unless it looks amazing or does some supercool things, which - being Linux - it won't, because Linux has never been about doing supercool things for people who don't spend their days hacking web servers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Most users don't care about the OS. They care about features that work for them.

Yes, that is pretty much the problem in a nutshell. I'm not sure who said this, but I was once told "people don't buy a drill, they buy the hole in the wall" and that is one of the simplest truths out there.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"people don't buy a drill, they buy the hole in the wall"

But does buying a better drill give you a better hole?

I don't know where I'm going with that... discuss.

2. mmeier

Re: Linux is possibly the only platform where the same OS on PC, server, mobile and tablet make

The benchmark I would currently set for a non Win/x86 tablet pc would be "performance, hardware and software support equal to a Thinkpad Tablet 10 with Wacom". Anything less is simply not good enough. So

Mature support for ALL Wacom (or NTrig) features like pressure support

Self-Learning Handwriting recognition on all levels of the OS

Software that supports handwriting and post-writing conversion AND is available on the standard office platform(s) so at least Windows support needed

Free access to the system up to "root" access without jailbreak/rooting/special tricks

Free instalability of software (Add-on appstores acceptabel)

Seamless integration in the company and privat networks

User accounts an access rights at least on the Unix Level, preferably ACLs

Choice of programming languages and development platforms for easy construction and testing of privatly written software

All that at less than 800€ and with a guarantee that I get updates and security patches for at least the next 5 years (better next 10).

==============

As for the rest: Win8.x (as well as 7) works fine on desktop and tablet pc. It also is more than "good enough" for in-house servers. The only stuff I'd run on a UNIX box (Solaris or AIX for long term support/stable API and ABI etc) would be outward-facing stuff like Webservers.

3. jbuk1

Re: Linux is possibly the only platform where the ...

Linux is a kernel.

Do you mean GNU userland?

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Go

Re: jbuk1 Re: Linux is possibly the only platform where the ...

"Linux is a kernel....." Exactly! Finally, someone remembers the difference between Linux and "Linux", the latter being The Movement made of differing OSs that use that kernel in one form or another, the users of those OSs, their app providers, and businesses hoping to make a killing off the freetards efforts.

Indeed, the most annoying line in the whole article - ".....The most visible face of Linux in mobile and, let's face it, the most likely to succeed beyond the small circle of the Linux faithful, is undoubtedly Canonical....." - just shows the author's fixation with "Linux" The Movement rather than Linux. The actual most visible face of Linux in mobile land is Android which uses a modified Linux kernel. Linux is already a massive success in mobile land (and tablets) because of Android, but Android (and Google's machinations with hardware suppliers) are exactly why "Linux" is failing in mobile (and tablet) land. Canonical? I'm a big supporter of Ubuntu on the desktop, but Ubuntu on mobiles or tablets as a commercial venture? Pull the other one, it's got bells on it!

9. Lyle Dietz
    Coat

Linux on mobile.

I have this memory of a mobile phone with a slide out keyboard that ran Linux; must have been my imagination if Canonical is going to provide for those of us that "[have] been waiting for the power of Linux to make its way to [our] hand[s]."

Mine's the one with the N900 in the pocket.

1. DropBear Silver badge

Re: Linux on mobile.

As someone who spends multiple minutes cursing every single time I need to use a console of 4-5 lines on an Android phone (the rest being covered by the "soft" keyboard) I whole-heartedly agree. If only there was a decent recent Android phone with a FULL qwerty (no, not those "portrait" Blackberry style abominations), preferably on THIS SIDE of the pond ('murrica seems to get all of them)...

1. wdmot

@DropBear

Pray tell, what new(ish) phones *anywhere* have a full QWERTY slide-out keyboard, let alone in "'murrica"? I've been looking for a replacement for my Samsung Moment for ages with no luck. The closest I got was 2 years ago I saw a Kyocera (I think) with a slide-out keyboard, but the keys sucked so I didn't get it. I haven't seen one with a physical keyboard since, even in reviews (except the Blackberry phones, which aren't quite full QWERTY and as you say are portrait which isn't optimal for me). I don't mind a phone being a bit thicker to accommodate a proper keyboard but it looks like the only option at this point is a clip-on bluetooth keyboard.

2. Teiwaz Silver badge

Funnily enough.

I bought a N900 second hand two years ago or so, having always wanted one, but never having gotten around to it. Odd, because I bought a Sharp Zaurus (a linux based pda) from the US quite promptly when that came out.

Switched to the community ssu a year ago, and it's really brought it back to life.

After several years of use...

I love the skype integration (not a fan, but contacts use skype a lot)

I don't bemoan the lack of apps.

I dislike the hildon desktop ui, it's clunky. Thee app list is too long, have hunt to find anything.

The app manager is slowwww, with long waits to any operation.

Have 'almost' decided it's time to replace it, probably with an ubuntu phone, and probably a BQ, depending on reviews.

I've even been playing around with the Unity8 session on desktop ubuntu, it's coming on, even on a Radeon embedded graphics card (many, many glitches due to this)

1. mm0zct

I replaced my N900 with an N9 after the USB port went and I got fed up swapping the battery every morning with the one in the external battery charger. It works brilliantly as a phone/messaging/email reader/web browser, and I especially love the "feeds" screen, which with a few free/open apps contains not only my twitter, facebook and RSS feeds, but also my upcoming calendar events. With Billboard I can also put a lof of information on the idle screen, such as time, current song, and IP address, which the N9 keeps displayed at all times with the low power OLED display. The 1GB of RAM over the 256MB of the N900 means it's much better at multi tasking and web browsing (the N900 couldn't use the web at all when I gave up on it).

Unfortunately I sorely miss the keyboard, that was one of the main reasons I hung onto the N900 for so long. The N9 can still ssh with X forwarding, but it's not nearly as useable without a physical keyboard. Swype helps with SMS messaging, but it's still a long way from a physical keyboard.

In summary the N9 is a fantastic phone, but the keyboard is what made the N900 great. I'd be more interested in Jolla if it wasn't so much bigger than the N9.

10. Tom 64

Fedora 21

I've been using redhat linux derivatives in the datacentre and cloud for a while now, so I thought I'd give Fedora 21 a go in a VM. Its a solid solid workstation OS, and next time I get to choose what goes on my office workstation/laptop it will be this distro.

11. Tom 7 Silver badge

It may very well be the end of the desktop.

Most people seem to be more than happy with phones and small tablets for 99% of their requirements.

Assuming some of the big on-line presences work out how to sell shit on a phone most people aren't going to want a desktop at home - a walk round a town gives you a glimpse into living-rooms where the sofa is populated by a grown up watching the telly and two kids on phones.

The desktop may continue at work but if it does I dont think its going to be new windows - I've still not actually seen anyone using 8 and a 75 year old yesterday told me she'd gone back to 7 on her new PC she hated it so much!

I dont think there will be a year of the Linux desktop but if I can run my linux apps on my phone and use it on a large screen when I need apps that need screenspace (not a desktop just access to apps) then I can see that becoming my major device.

Now anyone got a bluetooth HDMI chip set in the offing?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It may very well be the end of the desktop.

Most people seem to be more than happy with phones and small tablets for 99% of their requirements.

People are happy with their phones and tablets because they don't have the associated hassles and maintenance problems with PCs (or more specifically, Windows - but that's just PCs to them).

2. Phuq Witt
      Thumb Down

*"...Most people seem to be more than happy with phones and small tablets for 99% of their requirements..."*

The day job aside, that would be me too. I'd be quite happy to use a tablet for most of my day-to-day content consumption and basic content creation [blog posts / forum comments etc.] but for two things which are still awful on mobile devices:

1: Transferring data between apps.

and a thousand times...

2: Basic text-editing functionality.

Every new version of Android or iOS adds pointless new bells, whistles and eye-candy but it seems like the awfully cack-handed method for selecting text by moving those stupid wee beginning/end handles [which never seem to go or stay where you want them] has been handed down by Moses on stone tablets and must never be 're-thought' again. Likewise with the other text-mangling functions [copy / paste / drag etc.]. The fisrt mobile OS to make working with text feel as smooth as it does on a desktop gets my upgrade £££s.

I'm not holding my breath though. I'm sure the boffins who could bring such things to pass are much too busy working on the latest technology for updating your Facebook status via accelerometer-powered dance moves, or suchlike.

1. mmeier

Try Windows Vista/7/8/ with a proper pen. Works perfectly for the copy/past functions (the stylus as a mouse) and quite a bit better than even the Note series of Androids.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019