back to article Elite: Dangerous 'billionaire' gamers are being 'antisocial', moan players

A set of disgruntled owners of Elite: Dangerous have formed a Customer Action Group in order to pressure Frontier Developments over bugs, broken promises and a decision to allow players to retain unfairly acquired in-game gold. Elite: Dangerous' woes started last year when it cancelled a promised offline mode, angering some …

Page:

1. SnowCrash

Still reporting the vocal minority then. Love the way the article reads, finding out how I feel about the game from ElReg is very refreshing....

1. dogged

Would you prefer articles like this?

MOST ELITE:DANGEROUS PLAYERS OKAY WITH EVERYTHING

Nothing to see here, move along.

Seriously, go away. ®

Probably not much in the way of revenue on that one.

*EDIT - FFS guys, turn off the automated carriage return linefeed thingy. Formatting is all but impossible.

1. Dave W

No of course not.

But other IT rags published this story far more objectively, for example PC Gamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/frontier-investigating-elite-dangerous-exploiters/

Simon Sharwood's repeated negative (and in several cases factually incorrect) coverage of Elite Dangerous over the last sixteen days shows a journalistic standard unbecoming of the otherwise mighty fine Register and shows a level of bias and one-sided opinionistic crusading that I'd come to expect from the likes of the Daily Mail.

Sorry Simon, I would just much rather see you speak to Frontier directly and get more information straight from the horses mouth than post links to forum trolls below a picture of Scrooge McDuck.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. veti Silver badge

Oh please. Do you come to El Reg for objective, balanced, purely factual reporting?

The sky on your planet must be a very interesting shade indeed.

2. DropBear
      FAIL

Still reporting the vocal minority then

You're obviously severely confused on which "minority" is the vocal one.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The old "But it works for me so I don't see the problem" well thousands of other people do have problems, I'm pretty sure very few other areas can get away with the number of defective products software companies can without being faced with an embarrassing recall and compensation.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But it works for me so I don't see the problem

Mind you, I haven't played E:D yet, but I truly believe that having an opinion is more important than having experience.

1. GeneralDisaster

Re: But it works for me so I don't see the problem

That's the spirit! Somebody who actually gets how the internet works.

2. NumptyScrub

The old "But it works for me so I don't see the problem" well thousands of other people do have problems, I'm pretty sure very few other areas can get away with the number of defective products software companies can without being faced with an embarrassing recall and compensation.

a) if 2 thousand people have problems, and 200 thousand people have no problems, is the product defective, or is the player-provided environment defective (this is running on customer computers over customer connections, and in my experience not everyone maintains their PC to the same standard that I do)? Exactly how many people are having connectivity issues, versus exactly how many people are not having connectivity issues? I'm not seeing verifiable figures on either side of this argument; nobody has concrete numbers and thus everyone is using weasel words to exaggerate their position (for instance, saying "thousands of other people" without providing one shred of supporting evidence that there is more than 999 people with current issues, or people like me stating that "all of my friends" are working fine so the percentage of issues must also be small)

b) you only need to recall physical goods that have a physical defect, software can be fixed or even completely replaced via download. I completely agree that everyone releases unfinished software these days, every single game I have bought recently had day one patches (6 pre-ordered XBox One games, 6 day one patches of over 200MB each). Taking one company to task for something that everyone does is disingenuous though; nothing short of a consumer boycott is going to convince EA or Activision to change working practise, and you try convincing people not to pre-order CoD: The Next One or FIFA <one every year> as soon as it gets announced.

1. Cynic_999

It is not so much that software is released unfinished (though that sometimes happens), but rather that software is released without being adequately tested. Which is in fact perfectly acceptable for software that is not going to harm anyone physically or financially if it misbehaves. To test every aspect of complex PC software under all possible situations and on all the possible hardware/software combinations it will be used on would take years and cost millions. The consumer would then get bug-free software but it would be extremely expensive and grossly out of date - and so few people are likely to buy and nobody gains. Using the initial wave of customers to effectively test the product and find the bugs is therefore the most sensible thing to do.

4. aleeivel

Will I've still never been able to logon and have not had a single reply to any email or msg on the forum

As far as I'm concerned they were only interested in getting my cash a year ago and now don't give a flying !"£$!"£ about me being able to actually play the game I helped pay to be developed!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just like real life then?

In general you don't get to become rich by being nice, you have to be unscrupulous.

Once you are rich then the legal system works in your favour and those fines become laughable.

So, just like real life.

1. SpeakerToAliens
      Black Helicopters

Re: Just like real life then?

Once you are rich... you can hire assassins to make you're problem go away.

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Good, I'll hire one to kill an errant apostrophe.

I wonder if he'll eat, shoot and leave?

1. stucs201

Fineable stuff would be relatively easy to deal with - fines as a percentage of wealth is easier to implement in a game than real life.

I'd be more concerned about non-finable stuff. For example is there anything to stop a disproportionatly wealthy player single-handedly unbalencing trade routes? Not the sort of nonsense I'd want screwing me over if I was playing the suposedly single-player solo mode.

1. Jediben

Time. You can only fly one route at a time. You can only haul one full cargo bay at a time. You could never manipulate the system alone, as even the most feverish work could be undone by 4 players carrying a quarter load in the opposite direction.

1. stucs201

Re: Thanks Jediben

Ah, that helps. I must admit I've not investigated what is and isn't possible in detail. As long as they can't turn up with a fleet of Anacondas and buy an entire planet's stock of it's main export then things perhaps won't be so bad.

I have to say that the possibility of the in-game economy being affected by other people's actions in solo mode is one of the main things putting me off buying it - I don't want to have a rubbish time getting started because the starter trade routes are already milked dry.

I know Diablo 3 improved massively once they killed the auction house and made getting loot for yourself realistic. Trying to keep up with inflated auction prices driven by people with more time to play than me was no fun at all.

That lack of time to play is why I worry about the influence of other players on the solo game. I don't want to feel like I'm standing still or even going backwards just because I have other stuff I need to do. Which is unfortunate, because as a teenager playing Elite for the first time (PC, CGA version) I always thought that an online version with enough players could be the best game ever. In a way I still do, it's just I don't have time for it anymore and would therefore prefer something that pauses when I have to deal with the real world instead.

1. ollieclark

Re: Thanks Jediben

I play for around an hour a night. I'm nowhere near an Anaconda yet but I'm having great fun just bounty hunting, trading rare goods and exploring. I'm friendly with the controlling faction in Lave and I've got involved in a couple of conflicts. You don't need to put hours a night in to have fun - owning the 'best' ship with the best weapons is a goal but it's just one of many.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
            Paris Hilton

single-handedly unbalencing trade routes

What, like imposing sanctions against nominal partners when you feel like it and things like Merry Kerry visiting Saudi Brutalia just before the oil price drops?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I wonder if he'll eat, shoot and leave?

If he's Bill Gates he'll eat shit and leave.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Eat shit and heave more like.

2. John Sanders
      Devil

Just like what they did with the Kickstarter and the single player mode!

Note: They sold the Kickstarter on having the offline mode in the game, and then yanked it at the last minute, and got away with it.

3. returnmyjedi

I've not played the game myself, but it's popular amongst my group of friends and they're playing it without issue and find all of the negative press orbiting the game puzzling (my inability to get onto PSN over Xmas caused them much amusement).

My lack of involvement is due to the lack of offline mode, but that notwithstanding it seems to this observer to be one of the most cleverly crafted MMOGs since the days of Ultima.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There are still support tickets outstanding from November. It looks like for some Frontier won't manage to respond within 2 months. 2 days is and always will be a pipedream for them

5. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face

I'm considering a similar complaint against RockStar games after I noticed a bit of misbehaviour going on in Grand Theft Auto.

6. Marcus Aurelius
    Pirate

Aarrr!

Isn't Elite meant to be the game where you indulge in smuggling, piracy and other illegal space acts to get loot?

It's not meant to be fair - its a dog eat dog universe.

1. nematoad

Re: Aarrr!

"It's not meant to be fair - its a dog eat dog universe."

If that's what you are looking for then play EVE Online. E:D was touted as being different from EVE.

Oh and by the way CCP, the developers of EVE, come down like a ton of bricks on anything regarded as an exploit, which the snafu on E:D most decidedly was. It doesn't matter whose fault it is, anyone taking advantage gets hammered.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

nematoad,

I agree. I much prefer CCP's response to exploits. You knew it was an exploit when you did it. Sure you might not the first time, but after you've rinsed+repeated for the 100th time to make you that billion you certainly did. So tough luck, you lose the lot. That is the fairest response. And the system ought to have logs that can allow them to check up on this sort of stuff - so there's no excuse. All you're effectively doing is database work.

If on the other hand you do something nasty through sneakiness and duplicity... Well it's a tough old universe out there. Well done you!

EVE could be frustrating at times. But I had lots of fun, spoke to some really nice people - and there's no other game where I've had such an adrenaline rush during a battle that I was sitting at my computer with my hand shaking for a couple of minutes afterwards. You'd analyse a battle with your mates, and so much had happened it seemed to have lasted half an hour, then look at the logs to see it was only 90 seconds. Great game, but could be an absolute time-sink, if you wanted to be any good.

1. jason 7

Oh the adrenalin rush of Eve. I remember my 4 man corp being war-decced over our POS. We managed to get the POS down and take out two of their battleships with no losses on our side. None of us got any sleep that night, just shaking too much. We'd never fought a war before either.

Great times.

2. nematoad

Spartacus,

"If on the other hand you do something nasty through sneakiness and duplicity... Well it's a tough old universe out there. Well done you!"

I agree, I probably should have expanded my argument to point out that in EVE at least, you are supposed to be competing against the other players and not the game. A sandbox is how EVE is usually described and to me that's pretty near the mark.

What the players in E:D seem to have done is game the system and been rewarded for it. No wonder there is a bit of a stink.

3. Vanir
          Big Brother

Let's just get the HMRC involved as an entity in the game! All this undeclared income; my, that'll make the naughty players sweat!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

But does HMRC pursuit ships able to do the Kessel Run in less than 20 parsecs?

2. BaitAndSwitch

Yeah... Elite was also touted as having offline capability... that didn't seem to pan out did it?

2. dan1980

@Marcus Aurelius

"It's not meant to be fair . . ."

Fairness is not about there being no crime, it's about there being a level playing field. And, Frontier are very much going against themselves on this one. Take this from Braben on one of the reasons for making the game online-only:

"We were also looking at how people could cheat and those sorts of things. It’s a problem for a lot of games—for instance with exploration—the cheating spoils it for everybody. If someone does a blanket discovery of everything, that spoils things."

Right, so either gaining an unfair advantage "spoils it for everyone" or it doesn't.

As @I ain't Spartacus said, above:

"So tough luck, you lose the lot. That is the fairest response. And the system ought to have logs that can allow them to check up on this sort of stuff - so there's no excuse. All you're effectively doing is database work."

Couldn't agree more and this is also one of the reasons why an online single-player mode is just not the same as an offline mode. Cheating in an offline mode harms no one, except possibly yourself. If you want to exploit a bug so you can buy a powerful ship earlier and skip straight to destroying things rather than having to tediously earn the money then you should be able to. Offline.

Online, you have to clamp down to keep it fair for people but offline players get the freedom to play however they want, even if that involves 'cheating'. I sometimes play Civ3 with a mod that removes the nearly-crippling corruption and waste your cities experience when you have too many of them - something that makes larger maps a bit annoying. But that's my choice.

Tangent - sorry!

3. JJSmith1950

Dogs don't eat other dogs.

1. dan1980

You don't see them f$#king each other over for a goddamn percentage?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Well done !

I know where you got that quote from ):D

7. Grimster

Tickets

Since early December still not addressed. Support system is either horribly overwhelmed or very lacking.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Tickets

Frontier's Support system shows 20,000 tickets since the game was launched only a few weeks ago.

That's a lot when you consider that Frontier haven't even delivered the game yet to many customers.

When Frontier actually gets around to sending the game to the 25,000 Kickstarter backers, things are going to get really tough.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What about when they finally get on steam.

2. SpeakerToAliens
        Unhappy

> When Frontier actually gets around to sending the game to the 25,000 Kickstarter

> backers, things are going to get really tough.

They have, I was a Kickstarter backer. I'm also unable to play the game I've downloaded (v1.03). Once I get out of the menus all I get is blank screen.

I raised a ticket (numbered in the eleven thousands) more than 2 weeks ago. I wasn't expecting an instant reply, or even one within 2 days - it being Christmas and so on - but waiting 2 weeks and hearing nothing makes me wonder how far along the now 20,000+ tickets they've gone.

They could always give some statistics (# raised, # duplicate issues, # fixed in next release, # fixed by changing Users PC config), but I suspect that would just be giving us a stick to beat them with.

3. Russ Pitcher
        WTF?

I'm not sure where you got your number from, but in the pre-release Gamma stage there were over 170,000 players and a lot more have joined since. The game has been delivered to everyone who has paid for it. Apart from a few glitch cases, as far as I can tell the vast majority of players are happy.

I've backed the game on day 2 of the Kickstarter and have been testing and playing since Alpha 1. Yes, there are issues, just like any other major online release, but I feel that they are getting slated a little too much. I've gone to LaveCon and the launch party and spoken at great length to a number of the developers. The impression I have formed of the devs I spoke to and the company in general is that they genuinely care about making the very best game they can. Of course money is an issue but it's far from the only driving force.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

" but in the pre-release Gamma stage there were over 170,000 players "

Source?

8. sabroni Silver badge
    Happy

It's for kids!

Grow up!

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: It's for kids!

It's probably more accurate to say it's targeted at those who were kids 30 years ago when the original Elite came out.

I remember getting a copy for Xmas when I was 11 or so, and it had a very steep learning curve, that almost made it too hard to get a start in at the time. E:D has a steeper curve.

Besides which, most games are played by adults, and the gaming industry is one of the largest industries on the planet (larger than the film industry, for instance).

So in response;

1) No it isn't (for several reasons).

2) I did.

2. Vanir

So?

No!

3. NumptyScrub

Grow up!

You are seriously out of touch with the interactive entertainment market if you think computer games "are for kids", or that computer games are created with kids in mind. :P

A quick look at the shelves of any game retailer will show you what proportion of games are 18 rated, and I'd estimate it'll be approaching half (if you include 16 rated games it'll easily be the majority). The majority of new games are squarely aimed at the adult market and that is unlikely to change, because adults have more money to spend ;)

4. sabroni Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Well one of you can spot a joke. To the rest, thanks for your informative posts and many downvotes! I'm here all week. Try the fish!

1. NumptyScrub

Well one of you can spot a joke. To the rest, thanks for your informative posts and many downvotes! I'm here all week. Try the fish!

Hey, I wouldn't downvote a comment like yours that could just as easily be parody rather than serious, but I can't resist also providing a rebuke, for the edification of those people who agree with what you said, rather than what you meant ;)

That's why you need smileys in forum posts (and especially in sarcasm), because you lose so much of the contextual nuance when you can't see the wry smile or cheeky grin over the internet.

You got waaaaay too many downvotes on that one though. I've upvoted you to try and even the balance a little ^^;

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like