back to article One third of servers, storage and switches are sold to clouds

Analyst firm IDC reckons that cloud operations – private and public - now account for “almost a third” of the world's spending on servers, storage and ethernet switches. The overall cloud market, the firm says, is about US$6.5bn a quarter, with public clouds accounting for about half of that. IDC's definition for public …

1. Ole Juul Silver badge

Public market

IDC's definition for public clouds is nice and tight. It says they are “... open to a largely unrestricted universe of potential users; and designed for a market, not a single enterprise.”

I parse that as "clouds" being replaced by "market". Perhaps I'm missing a definition of "tight".

2. Jack of Shadows Silver badge

I love fuzzy definitions. Economists much?

3. Michael Habel Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Far beit for me to say....

But, given what happened to S0NY of late. Why would I... Or even should I trust my "Data" to the Cloud. Seems to me that someone confused the Words Inter with Intra when it came to setting up that Network. Really I can't for the life of me understand why, or how S0NY allowed that to even happen. Not only 'cause of the PSN Outtage back in '11. But, the fact that none of this Data should have left the Building in the first place.

I'm sure S0NY can afford their own Cloud, where they undoubtedly dump their Data. But, what does this bode for other outfits like Amazon, who apparently can't monitor their own Servers getting abused in much the same way.

If anything I'd be running even further away from the Cloud then I already was.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Far beit for me to say....

Companies like AWS and Microsoft hire the best and brightest security people and pay them huge salaries. Ergo, if you think that the systems you run are more secure than the major public clouds, then you must consider yourself a bit of a security genius. However, given that your comments on the topic are about the Sony hack, which had nothing to do with public clouds, your belief in yourself may prove to be unfounded...

4. hmas

Hmm

I would be very surprised if storage arrays and ethernet switches weren't purchased for the purpose of use within an enterprise and resources controlled by said enterprise.. Still, far it be for me to get in the way of a good headline.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019