back to article Banish the fear of Big Brother when you bring in BYOD

As I have said before, bring your own device (BYOD) can be a difficult concept to sell. After all, you are basically saying to users: “We want you to supply your own IT equipment but we want to be able to control the corporate data and applications that go on it.” Yes, you can sweeten the pill by offering a financial incentive …

1. jake Silver badge

Whatever.

My personal device is mine. End of discussion. I pay for it.

Work systems belong to work. They pay for it.

Trying to merge these two concepts borders on insanity.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Problems you cant overcome -

Institution fully or part funds the device - end user breaks it. What happens now? Its not a corporate device covered under a supplier insurance contract. So the user must replace it - but the user cant afford another $1000 laptop or $800 iphone.. so now what?

Institution insists on BYOD mobile devices, and contributes to the bill. User joins 3 intl. conference calls and exceeds this contribution - now what?

How does that factor in from a Tax Perspective? Is this a BiK that needs to be declared or not - does the company own that device or not? If its mine, Im being taxed on it for a device in previous world was just provided..

MobileIron et al also have the ability to reveal many interesting things about the users; regardless of whether or not they ticket the 'this is my own device' check box or not. Namely, can list all the apps on ones device per user (and given the prevalence of directory services in corportations).. contextual user info along side that. So What? well - imagine discovering your CEO plays for the other team because he's installed GrindR.. what else? Well - the continual reporting and tracking of your location may be of concern also.

The list goes on..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon