back to article Craft bazaar Etsy's security plan is candy to get devs talking

Etsy's security chieftain Rich Smith has told the hacker faithful to secure their organisations by buttering-up devs with beer and candy. Speaking at the KiwiCon event in Wellington, New Zealand, the guardian of the popular hipster bazaar and co-founder of Iceland consultancy Syndis offered tips from running the fast-spaced …

1. Florida1920
    Holmes

Just don't inhale

Waaaay back in the day when smokers were confined to the shipping dock (no smoking anywhere on the grounds anymore, I'm sure) at a place where I contracted, that was the place to hang out to get the lowdown on anything happening in the company. People always seemed more willing to talk to a fellow pariah. If you could recreate that outlaw atmosphere (intended) where people begin to feel they have more in common than an employer, communication may improve. Hot tubs?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just don't inhale

True enough.

There were a lot of grumbles, there were equally comments along the lines of "have you tried this..." or "go speak to Joe, he's been itching to get that solution out.".

We tended to congregate around pub lunches, then outdoor lunches, moving on to the hard stuff... gym & jogging during lunch.

I miss those sweaty sods.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like