back to article Speaking in Tech: Sony breach proves you can NEVER defend perimeter

speaking_in_tech Greg Knieriemen podcast enterprise Without further delay, here's another episode of El Reg's tech podcast, wherein the question is posed: "It's 3am! Do you really want to upload that picture?" Join your host Greg Knieriemen and guest Adrian DeLuca, APAC CTO of HDS to chew the fat on the Sony data hack; …

1. WalterAlter
    FAIL

Ho Hum

I'd perk up if this story was about the hacking and release of confidential documents on Bear Stearns or Goldman Sachs or J.P. Morgan or the World Bank or the Federal Reserve. Hackers suffer from Occupy syndrome, i.e., chronic bad target acquisition.

2. Gert Leboski
    Trollface

Outro

Am I the only person to have ripped the outro to an mp3?

3. Richard Taylor 2

Of course

you can defend the perimeter - and should. Assuming it will never be breached is the mistake (as a number of ant and bee colonies have discovered to their peril). Strong perimeter and strong internal protection. The point is that a new threat might be temporarily slowed by perimeter controls while the internal network is updated/reconfigured.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Of course

Agreed:

1) Defend your perimeter as far as reasonably.

2) Assume the enemy is already inside said perimeter...

3) Segment internal machines and protect them from what (2) suggests.

4) Don't forget printers and other systems that never get security updates...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like