back to article Five-eyes partners dilute UN resolution criticising metadata collection

The “five eyes” surveillance partners – the USA, the UK, Australia, Canada and New Zealand – have joined forces to nobble a UN General Assembly committee's statements on digital privacy. While the General Assembly's human rights committee has adopted a non-binding resolution saying that “unlawful or arbitrary” mass …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

How ironic.....

I'm siding with the "axis" powers (Germany) over the Allies (UK et al).

Now it is the "evil" Germans fighting to protect our freedom and the "good" allies are trying to destroy it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How ironic.....

Careful.

Use of 'Irony' could end up with you on a 'watch list' these days.

1. RobHib

@mOrt--Re: How ironic.....

Probably has already.

2. Amorous Cowherder
    Facepalm

Fed up with seeing reports with statements to the effect, "Hooray we managed to save from being under surveillance quite so much!". It should be, "They still managed to get a foothold with limited powers. Only a matter of time until the dust settles and they 'sneak' in another power and another and so on.".

We never did sleepwalk into a surveillance society, we heard the alarm, banged the snooze button and just rolled over back to sleep.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whitewash

They can apply all the cleverly worded whitewash they want, but it wont change the fact that most people now see them for the nasty little totalitarian wankers they are, and one day hopefully sooner rather than later either they or their successors will get to pay for it, hopefully sharing the fate of the Najibullah's, Ceaușescu's and Gaddafi's of the world . I only hope the pieces of what's left are worth putting back together afterwards.

4. earl grey
    Flame

there is no intelligence community

Because they can't and don't use what they already have. You don't need MOAR.

5. Someone Else Silver badge
    Mushroom

That old chestnut again???

An Australian delegate is quoted by Reuters as calling metadata collection “an important element of the investigation” of “criminal or terrorist threats”.

Manure. Your nure. And everybody else's nure!

6. scrubber

When this were all fields...

I remember when we were considered the good guys, was that just a naive child, or did we actually behave better than other countries back in the day?

7. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

On behalf of all Canadians, I apologise for my nation's role in this. It is shameful and we are ashamed.

8. PAT MCCLUNG

Metadata

"We kill people based on metadata."

Michael Hayden, former director of both the NSA and CIA

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like