back to article Google dodges 'costly' legal precedent, settles Daniel Hegglin case

Google has avoided a costly legal precedent by settling out of court in an online abuse case due to be heard in the High Court today, legal experts have said. Daniel Hegglin was seeking an injunction to force Google to block all traces in its search results of online abuse against him, following a defamatory anonymous campaign …

1. Harry the Bastard

because of course there're no other search engines

all he's done is advertise the fact that there's some sadfuck posting poorly written crap about him

now in addition he's made himself look like a twat

online abuse is illegal, he can report it to the police, it's their job to trace the person doing it and then nail them, sounds like he's got enough money to make them pay attention to his complaint

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Yes, but its easier to shoot messengers.

2. nsld

Using google.com

I googled him and the top result was an interesting facebook page.

Its not an easy read as the poster claims that English is not his native language.

Seems odd to put the resources into fighting one search engine in one part of the world when you can sit in that part of the world and just use the .com extension and the material seems to be all over the web.

1. 's water music

Re: Using google.com

I dunno, the next four hits are now effectively refutations of the spittle-flecked facebook page as, I imagine they probably are on other search engines. Maybe he got shut-up money from Google as well.

Quite an effective PR result, much better than he ever would have got from the po-po

3. Scott 26
    FAIL

Ha

first link from a google of his name is a facebook post calling him all kinds of things

damn, nsld beat me to it :)

4. Tom 35
    FAIL

I can see why he is upset

They say he is a banker, and worked at MORGAN STANLEY!

I didn't (and likely never would have) know he existed before I read the story.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I can see why he is upset

I see what you mean. Banker + Morgan Stanley = _______

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I can see why he is upset

Banker + Morgan Stanley = A soulless, unethical, amoral, unsympathetic, remorseless, hardened, inhuman, greedy, selfish Randian who cares nothing for the suffering they inflict and everything for what they can extract from their victims. The tone and pitch of the screams are just an indication of when the extraction process has reached a non-optimal extraction rate and the subject should be discarded.

And that's being polite.

5. Swarthy

Precedent

If this had sent a precedent, would Google have to moderate the returns for "Santorum"?

1. DNTP

Re: Precedent

No, because use of the word, which bears a coincidental similarity to Santorum's name, as a common noun does not imply or publish a fact about Santorum the individual. Therefore, no libel, slander, defamation whatever.

Of course if Google wanted to filter out results containing the name of that guy due to his hatemonger politics, as to not tarnish by association the reputation of some of the natural results of human lovin', that would be totally awesome.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like