back to article NetApp cyclists part from storage firm... go to Bora Bora

NetApp's sponsorship of the European Endura professional cycle racing team is no longer, er, on tap. The team formerly known as Team NetApp Endura will rebrand after gaining a new sponsor in the form of Germany's BORA, which makes cooker surfaces and cooker extractors. Team NetApp Endura was formed for the 2013 season, …

1. Graham 24

Hope they've sorted the legals

Bora is the name of a rather expensive (£2000+ a pair for top-end) wheels made by Campagnolo, an Italian manufacturer of cycling components.

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons
      Devil

Re: Hope they've sorted the legals

Warning - Daily Mail style joke response...

Oh, you know those clever legal types - The German lawyers will say "Ach! Our BORA has ze kapital letters, jah?"

The Italians will nod there heads and then beat a hasty retreat....

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Meh

Not to mention a car model by VW. And I bet there are more too.

1. Graham 24

The car's probably not a problem. Typically cycling teams are sponsored in part by one of the three main drivetrain & component manufacturers (Shimano, Campagnolo and SRAM), and there is usually a requirement to black out the names of any component made by someone who isn't a sponsor.

I bet it'll be an interesting discussion if the new team is part-sponsored by Shimano, and the main sponsoring name is the name of a key product by a competitor. Most people watching cycling and seeing the name "Bora" are going to think "I must buy some Campag. wheels" long before they think "I must buy a German kitchen appliance".

2. Chris Griffin

Tour de France

Perhaps El Reg should stick to IT comment.

Netapp Endura competed in the TdF this year and performed exceptionally with Leopold Koenig finishing in 7th. Top 10 would be considered a fabulous result for any "second tier" team.

Paris-Tours is a relatively minor race. Trying to extrapolate this to the entire season is like trying to say that Arsenal had a bad season because they didn't win the community shield.

3. manicminer

NetApp did actually ride the 2014 Tour de France

NetApp did ride this years Tour de France. One of their riders finished 7th which isn't bad for such a small team.

1. Forget It

Re: NetApp did actually ride the 2014 Tour de France

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/team_palm.asp?year=2014&teamcode=TNE&podium=1

shows:

Victories 5

Seconds 10

Thirds 14

Doping incident 0

1. Lusty
        Black Helicopters

Re: NetApp did actually ride the 2014 Tour de France

"Victories 5

Seconds 10

Thirds 14

Discovered Doping incident 0"

There, fixed that for you :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like