back to article Redmond aims to outshine Eclipse with FREE Visual Studio

Microsoft showered application developers with new tools on Wednesday, including a preview of the next release of Visual Studio and an all new version of the IDE that offers the full flexibility and extensibility of the flagship Visual Studio product, free of charge. The developer download bonanza was timed to coincide with …

I wish Visual Studio itself would be cross-platform - but that will never happen.

Running VS in a VM is tedious... until IntelliJ IDEA supports c#!

Happy

Run VS in a VM every day.

Works fine. I run VS2010 SP1 in Win 7 VM, VS2013 in Win 8.1 and Win 10 VMs everyday. No Problems, only solutions.

Silver badge

Does it need a Cloud?

Or can you develop non-cloudy apps with no connection at all after installing?

Re: Does it need a Cloud?

As I understand it, the Community version is not cloud-friendly because they want enterprise devs writing for Azure, not hobbyists.

MIc

This sounds made up. Can you cite a source or article? My experience with VS is if you install the free Azure tools pack you get the cloud stuff.

Anonymous Coward

No, the 2013 Community edition can be used for Win32 apps, .Net, whatever ... its basically VS 2013 professional for free outside enterprise so for independent developers, open source projects etc. you're good to go (a lot of open source projects were hamstrung by not wanting to mandate expensive new versions of VS so remained based around VS 2010 makes for a messy situation which can now be cleaned up).

Can I run VS on Linux yet? Until I can, I don't care whether it's cross-platform, it's no use to me.

It sounds as though they're trying to stop people migrating away from Windows by providing them with relevant toolchains on the Windows platform rather than try to support those who don't run Windows with useful services and products.

Well, duh...

What, really, did you expect? Maybe they'll open-source it and all will be well with the world ;-)

Cross-platform

Or does it run on OS-X? When I encounter developpers I only see MacBooks running either OS-X or Linux I guess market share is about > 80%. So if Microsoft keeps ignoring this they will lose even more markershare. Especially with the younger ones. I can not recall running into a young dev (in the twenties) running the microsoft toolchain. Not ONE.

> Can I run VS on Linux yet? Until I can, I don't care whether it's cross-platform, it's no use to me.

Not yet but given that VS is a WPF application, it's not impossible anymore.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Cross-platform

Enterprises I visit mostly Win7. App development obviously MacBooks commonplace, often with Windows VMs. Recent project with a university met quite a few students and staff still struggling with Linux but serious computing projects and students more likely Windows/VS and/or Apple gear (Apple offer healthy educational discounts to higher education, software is often free or heavily discounted to students).

Open source projects I'm involved in tend to be more about all three Android, OSX and Windows - not much pure linux - old school gpl definitely seems to be on the decline) - got an email this morning from a collaborator (half my age!) who'd already installed this community version of VS and on with porting code - a hobbyist thing he'd been stuck on VS2010 not wanting to pay for the latest version and Express lacked key features. Its not uncommon to use a MacBook when out and about but a desktop running Windows to do the heavy lifting back at base so coffee shop observations don't tell the story you need to actually speak with the users.

I agree MacBooks are popular with developers, more so in USA than UK but I've met many devs in their 20s using VS and XCode and Ellipse and I'd be surprised even in the 20s demographic if the proportion is over 40%. I think the fact you've not met any young devs using VS proves your personal experience is rather skewed from the real world.

Anonymous Coward

about time

Had to dig back 5 months in my comments on a story about the open sourcing of Roslyn to find this pearl of wisdom from mine... "It is just Microsoft's only way of keeping C# relevant. Without doing moves such as these, they were risking C# becoming a niche for line of business applications"

... and what happened today shows that the comment is still valid and the trend continues. Microsoft is trying to make C# the successor of Java, betting on Oracle's ability to piss off everyone. Which is a close to safe bet on the long term. What remains to see if this is the "embrace" part of the MS classic old strategy, or they are trying to play fair.

Well, at least there are a couple of promising JVM based languages good enough to keep MS on track, and nothing stops these compilers generating CLR instead of JVM bytecode.

Side note to Microsoft: if you want to kill Java once and forever, release a free Visual Studio for MacOSX and Linux. Yes, heretic, I know. But true.

Silver badge

Re: about time

Don't forget the ability to cross compile for

Solaris

AIX

Z/OS

IOS (iSeries)

(HP/UX is a waste of time IMHO)

Lots of Java runs on those platforms week-in, week-out, year-in,year-out.

Yes, the task of raplacing Java will be an uphill battle but MS really needs to make a viable alternative to Java's compile once, run anywhere mantra and support every platform where Jave has a commercial presence.

But, to be honest, they will probably fail. Ok, I'm not an MS .Net expert but where's the equivalent to WAS/WebLogic etc application servers? Lots and lots of server side java runs in these containers.

Alert

"... but where's the equivalent to WAS/WebLogic etc application servers? Lots and lots of server side java runs in these containers."

It's called node.js and it's available on Win x86/64, Linux x86/64 and Solaris...

and node.js can natively call c/c++/c#

iirc, ASP.NET, which can be used to write Web Services that runs in IIS and Mono as well...

well, to be specific pretty much any of the .Net languages can be used to write a webservice that runs from IIS..

Additionally, there are occasions where you would want to run an application on Java from Weblogic but have the front end written in .Net, for desktop clients that need to run on Windows etc. Of course it is my preference for these things to have a web UI as opposed to a desktop client, but sometimes you just need to go with what your customers ask for.

Alert

In what way is node.js an enterprise class application server? Sure it has a role, but like it or not big business like to buy their software from enterprise class vendors that offer a safety net of support, service and maintenance for reassuringly high licence fees.

You do realize that node.js is just a framework that runs js via the V8 engine - right?

The js to implement a "server" (i.e. the "server application code") is written by the vendor. This same vendor would also be the one providing "a safety net of support, service and maintenance for reassuringly high licence fees" similar to what occurs now with Weblogic-based apps or java servlets.. or name your poison...

The biggest problem I see with node.js is the MIT licensing (BSD would have been better) and the fact that most of the googles software never reaches release status and basing an enterprise app on a relatively permanent beta-status framework may present problems for clients.

Silver badge
Windows

hell freezes

Shit, they are really getting desperate....

Re: hell freezes

Desperate? or falling in line, I suggest. Because indies are hip now. It's the individual developers which are responsible for popularity (survival) of a consumer OS now. These are the same people humiliated by MS until now.

It's not really competing with Eclipse though

Eclipse may not be perfect, but its openness takes some beating. I can develop in pretty much any language I want, on any of the major platforms (and some quite minor ones), and target everything from an Arduino upwards.

So not the same thing at all really.

Re: It's not really competing with Eclipse though

Upvoted for comment that Eclipse does everything. I'm doing stuff from Java and Android to C++, and Python to PHP, with some good old js in between.

Anonymous Coward

Upvoted for comment that Eclipse not perfect.

Gold badge

Certainly can't hurt, but...

This certainly can't hurt any. But as many free versions of Visual Studio have been released already through the years, I don't think this will help Microsoft take Eclipse's lunch (their users) or anything. Still, having more free tools to use is better than fewer 8-) The internal changes they have made all sound good too.

Linux

I'll stick with what's really free

Free as in freedom.

- Freedom to run on any platform

- Freedom to look at source code

- The FSF "4 freedoms"

etc.

C# ? because Visual Studio is now "free"?

Small print in the EULA?

Thanks, but I'll pass.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018