back to article Secrets in Seattle: Apple opening base on Microsoft's doorstep

Apple is hatching plans to open a mysterious engineering facility in Seattle, the home of its sworn blood-rival Microsoft. The fruity firm has posted a number of job adverts looking for software engineers in the city. An Apple apparatchik confirmed the presence of the new office, but declined to say how many people worked …

1. Michael Habel

Really Microsoft are... Or more likely were there enemy, back in the 1990's perhaps. But, at this point I'm more inclined to say that MicroSoft are standing lost in a field by themselves to have any Enemies. Much less Apple.

This Story would have made much more sence, if you had replaced Seattle for the Chocolate Factory down there in Mountain View. Seems to me that its that lot who are the bigger thorn to our friends in Cupertino.

2. Phil_Evans

"It is also notorious for being dull enough to put a man to sleep, yet stimulating enough to prevent Tom Hanks from getting 40 winks"

That's most of Washington State ticked off then. I spent 9/11 camped high up in the Westin towers in Seattle and I protest muchly! If you count the city limit hinterlands of Bellvue and Redmond as dull, you'd be right. Downtown Seattle of a night sings to the tune of Blue Martinis and Tranny bars such as Polyesters, Cigars-a-gogo and more. With a local ethnicity of no particular bent, mostly coffee-coloured or Canuck, it's a real hoot. If you want to talk dull, think LA, New York or maybe Sioux Falls.

And I'm a Brit.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

All those ex MS Staffers have to go somewhere...

Lots of ex-Borg bods available for hire.

But they'll have to undergo RDF enhancement training first though

1. ratfox

Re: All those ex MS Staffers have to go somewhere...

This. Google has had an office in Seattle for years, and has been slurping as many Microsoft ex- or current employees as it could. Apple must be trying to get some of that action.

4. Frankee Llonnygog

To paraphrase...

This is a bit like Jasper himself. Fanbois must be tired of seeing the same cliches published over and over again, but that doesn't mean they won't stop sipping latte long enough to comment on them, since they are even more puerile than the last lot.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe there's Boeing also...

Not that you can't notice its little product getting in and out Boeing Field...

1. John 104

Re: Maybe there's Boeing also...

@ LDS

++ While not a technology company by definition, they are on the cutting edge in software and material design. But whatever, it isn't in Silicon Valley so it doesn't count, right? No talented people working there, I'm sure of it.

6. Mikel

Since the settlement

Since the settlement of Apple V. Microsoft in 1997, the two have been secret lovers.

7. captain veg Silver badge

Birthplace of Microsoft^WBoeing

"Seattle is famous as the birthplace of Microsoft"

That would be Albuquerque, New Mexico.

-A.

8. CJ Hinke

Might be time for El Reg to give up the "fruity" reference now that Tim Cook has come out of the closet! Just a thought...

9. John 104

Clueless

"emerging tech hub" Talk about clueless.

Where have you been for the last 20 years? Before there was Google, there was Microsoft. Before there was Facebook, There was Microsoft. Before there was MySpace there was Microsoft.

And if you aren't a fan of Microsoft, that's OK.

These are some other companies you may have heard of: Adobe, F5, Amazon, Getty Images, T-Mobil, Big Fish, Pop Cap Games (around since Palm days), Real Networks...

I'd hardly call that "emerging" at this point in the game.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like