back to article China lunar mission readies for return to Earth

China's Chang'e 5T1 mission has passed its half-way point, rounding the far side of the Moon and beginning its brief trip to Earth for its scheduled October 31 return. The mission is a test run for a 2017 trip that will drop a lander on the Moon and collect samples for return to Earth. The current mission is slated to touch …

1. Kharkov
    Happy

Well done China! It's looking like they're going to bring this mission to a successful conclusion. Expect the US Government/Senate/Congress to get increasingly more worked up as China gets closer to a successful Lunar Sample Return. Expect the space race to start up again...

2. Rich 11

Sunlight

Comparing the two images, my first impression is that they were taken about five days apart (going by the portion of the moon in sunlight and trying to match up features on each). That assumes that neither image has been doctored, of course.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Sunlight

"neither image has been doctored"

At least to add the Chang'e, unless there is ANOTHER craft or it ejected a camera with a radio link

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fake

The Chinese artist forgot the draw the stars in the background.

1. PhilJIII

Re: Fake

A properly exposed image of the moon usually requires speeds greater than 1/100th second.

To even start to get enough light to pick up a star you need more than 2 seconds. Anything less and you kiss good bye to the stars.

That is why those night shots of cities show where the car headlights have been but not the cars themselves.

1. Syx

Re: Fake

I think that was the entire point of the joke.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Probably fake

The moon doesn't exist!!!

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Probably fake

Don't be silly! Of course the moon exists.

It's just that there was a huge explosion in 1999 - that sent it hurtling through space. And the government has been covering this up ever since.

2. Graham Marsden
      Coat

At least it hasn't hatched yet...

3. Julz

Well from hours of mun missions in KSP, if you get that view then your way off the orbital ecliptic and in for some serious fun on the way back. So I guess it's a mash up.

5. imanidiot Silver badge

I suspect fake

The angles, lighting, focus and relative size just seem a little off to me. But then again, I am not an astronomer or photo expert.

1. Swarthy

Re: I suspect fake

...you can tell from some of the pixels.

6. LordJohn

Should be pretty easy to see if it is fake or not

Is the Moon in the right position and with the right lighting?Is the Earth also in the right position. A serious astro or space geek should be able to say. Until confirmed, I would mistrust this.

1. PhilJIII

Re: Should be pretty easy to see if it is fake or not

Most of us photo-astro-geeks are stuck on Earth but I can tell you that in this domain the word 'fake' gets a little blurry in order to sharpen the images.

The moon is a very bright object and it moves pretty damn fast relative to us. Not a big issue because you can properly expose it at 1/100th second depending on your ISO settings and atmospheric conditions. But....if you want details from the foreground on earth then you need a second photo with often a much longer exposure. Combine the two images and you have something the human eye can easily perceive.

The stars are another matter entirely. They are not bright and they are moving. Any exposure greater than a few seconds and your stars appear as lines. If you don't use long exposures then a single shot will not be enough to produce a workable image.

What many of us do is take multiple shots of the same area of space. We then use a piece of software that 'stacks' the images. This way we get stars that are not even visible to the naked eye.

This is one of the methods used on the Hubble and why those gyros are such a big deal.

Its very likely that this image is a composite and why the Earth and moon are ( more or less ) properly exposed. The only way to know for sure is to go there and see for yourself......

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like