back to article New Nominet CEO: I'll embrace past but look forward to the future

"It's too early to tell what areas of growth will be best for Nominet," says Russell Haworth, "but the company has got some smart people, a good board and an active membership base so if we can corral all three, everybody wins." Haworth has been announced as the new CEO at dot-uk registry operator Nominet after a six-month …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What does the future hold for Nominet?

I'm guessing it's more of the same.....

"Own a .co.uk guv? Wouldn't it be a shame if your competitor got the .uk? Still if you give us some money the problem will go away."

Are they running a business or a protection racket?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ENUM

Wonder if ENUM will get another look over.

Imagine that your phone number was encoded in DNS somewhere in a format that most PBXs (ie what you can run yourself with some effort) already understand.

Nominet is the authority responsible for the UK's ENUM. They have a page http://www.nominet.org.uk/whoweare/whatwedo/our-products-services/enum . I tried contacting them to discover how things were going. I was told by email and verbally that its a no go here. There are no registrars and no I would not be considered for creating one (I have a black belt in DNS and a shit load of infrastructure available should it be needed)

Can't imagine why its being paid lip service - BT n Co would love you to skip their termination fee ...

Cheers

Jon

3. Pali Gap

"It's too early to tell what areas of growth will be best for Nominet" says Russell Haworth, walking in the door.

But why growth? At least as an end in itself? Nominet is supposed to be a "not for profit"! It is without doubt the dash for growth that has created the farce of the dot UK name. This new domain type is being marketed by Nominet with this kind of nonsense:

"A .uk domain name tells your customers, visitors or supporters that you believe in a safe and trusted online experience, whether you are developing a business, running a charitable organisation or writing a blog online.". Really? Not!

Mr C Hill says "Are they running a business or a protection racket?". I'd say they're just focused on building their empire. It has to be said that, so far, that's been pretty successful, and their coffers are overflowing. As a result they can indulge themselves in vanity projects such as the "Nominet Trust". They even gain VIP entry to the "green blob":

"Nominations are open globally, and can cover projects using technology in a wide array of social problems, from education, human rights abuses, and health to *climate change*“ (Nominet Trust, My emphasis).

The world is changing of course. With everything becoming available - dot butcher, dot baker, dot candlestickmaker, and all stations inbetween - what room for "growth" and empire-building remains for Nominet? No doubt the outgoing Lesley Cowley had seen the writing on the wall. Good riddance I say.

4. Pali Gap

"...a job with Deloitte & Touche and then Thomson Reuters, specializing in acquisitions and ventures".

Could it be that perhaps Nominet may be looking to ditch its "not for profit" status? From April 2009:

"A major review of Nominet's governance has asked members to consider whether it should give up its not-for-profit status." http://www.notagreatplacetobe.org.uk/about-nominet/nominet-notforprofit/

Of course Nominet, like the EU, tend to keep re-visiting an issue until they get the result they want!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like