back to article Adorkable overshare of words like photobomb in this year's dictionaries

Adorkable, photobomb, overshare, Tinder. What do these words have in common? Apart from being ridiculous portmanteaus and brand names that have made their way into common usage, they’re also words that will feature in this year’s new dictionaries. Queen Elizabeth photobombs members of the Australian hockey team at the …

1. Mark 85

Bakeoff?

Really? It finally made it's way into common usage after how many years? I think it Pillsbury Flour who ran the bakeoffs back in the 60's.

Edit: Yep, Google is sometimes our friend.... http://www.pillsbury.com/our-makers/bake-off-contest

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Bakeoff?

I'll stick with Baeckeoffe, thank you very much!

It looks like the Collins is trying to turn itself in the Urban Dictionnary. Are they also replacing all their examples with ones questioning the sexual orientation of some Oregon middle-schooler's classmates?

My sister is consistently refereing to blenders as "mix-your-soup" and it's catching up in her circle of friends. To be included in the Collins next year I believe, together with "twitbooking" (TBD; reposting of content cross-websites perhaps?), "connectidate" (TBD, probably meeting people online or sumfin), etc...

Language evolves, I agree, but including in dictionnaries what is nothing more than the "adorkable" portmanteau-of-the-month for a subpopulation of American teenagers is hardly evolution. I bet 2/3 of these words have only ever been used by a few thousands of people at a time and will stop being used at all before the print version of the dictionnary come out.

1. bigphil9009

Pedant's corner, I know, but it's actually spelled "Dictionary"; I'm sure there's a book you can use to look up the correct spellings of things, but I can't remember what it's called.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

> Pedant's corner, I know, but it's actually...

Nonono, it's the new spelling, all the rage on TwitBook this week, where have you been, like, in a cave on Mars or something? It's going to be in the dict* next month.

Also, in proper English "spell" is an irregular verb. Pedant right back at you!

*and this one the month after

1. earl grey
            Unhappy

dict*

What we usually get at work.

2. jake Silver badge

I'm pretty certain my Grandmother used the term in the late 1920s.

::checks her diary from 1927::

Why, yes. Yes she did.

3. Lamont Cranston

Shirley it's "bake off"?

4. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

And in IT for 35 years or so.1

(I'm a bit surprised jake didn't beat me to this reference.)

1Note that while the document in question has a publication date of 1987, it refers to an event conducted in 1980.

2. Ralph B

Textonym

> “textonym” – “one of two or more words that can be generated by pressing the same key combinations on a mobile, e.g. kiss and lips”.

That definition baffled me until I realised it was talking about predictive text input. When Urban Dictionary can write a definition better than Collins and Chambers, it's no wonder the publishing industry is dying.

1. D@v3

Re: Textonym

The thing with "textonyms" is that now everyone* is using smartphones with full qwerty keyboards, it no longer holds true.

1. Ben Bonsall

Re: Textonym

It should now be two words that Autocorrect can randomly pick when you attempt to type something on a tiny keyboard with fat fingers.

3. jake Silver badge

It is true that language mutates.

However, memes are rarely permanently a part of any given language.

Lingua Franca is all very well and good, but how many of us speak English?

Oh. Wait ...

4. disgruntled yank

hipster

No doubt the hipster of 2014 is aware of the latest and best in indie bands (if there still are such). I'm not sure that the hipsters of the 1950s were better judges of the arts or less self-conscious in their rejection of middle class traits.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Joke

Re: hipster

...latest and best least bad in indie bands... Fixed that for you.

5. b166er

So is the polo-neck the normcore of the hipster?

6. Graham Marsden
    Boffin

A whole raft of ridiculous new words

Some people look on in Amazement at this Barefaced Blanket of Madcap Gossip put before our Eyeballs.

They think that this Dauntless Outbreak of Excitement is Obscene and the Remorseless Besmirching of our language with these Fashionable words is Equivocal at best as it Panders to Worthless Critics and makes them want to Rant.

Words Shakespeare Invented

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: A whole raft of ridiculous new words

I spot a textbook a posteriory selective factpicking. There are a few things to consider here:

Shakespeare had quite an aura, and quite a large audience, including most of the English-speaking "intellectual elite" of the time, he was not some 12yo posting to their friends.

Yet all these words did not make it to the dictionnaries until several years after he "invented" them (note that he actually did not invent most of them of course; he's just the first "tier-1" record of their use that we can find nowadays. They might have been common in the suburbs of London for several years before that, for all we know).

And finally if you pore over Shakespeare's writings you'll notice quite a few strange words that are understandable but did not make it to the dictionnaries of today (or only the most extensive ones, which mention such words _just_ because you may encounter them in a Shakespeare play).

Not every meme is worthy of dictionnary inclusion just because "Shakespeare Invented Words".

2. earl grey
      Trollface

Re: A whole raft of ridiculous new words

I hate to say it, but you're starting to read like something from Amanfrommars.

7. Crazy Operations Guy

" Tinder for the dating app "

If that's what they were going for, they should know they spelt it wrong... The app name is spelled without the 'e', like a lot of idiotically named web2.0 crap (See 'tumblr' for a great example of idiocy).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon