back to article Ofcom: 'White space' tech to support mobile data services in 2015

"White space" wireless technology could be used for mobile data services as early as next year, Ofcom has said. The regulator said that trials of white space technology – which refers to the gaps that exist between radio spectrum bands already in use – will determine whether data can be transmitted using the gaps between radio …

1. Andy The Hat Silver badge

"White space" wireless technology could be used for digital terrestrial TV

? Silly me, I thought that, as a consumer, I already received dttv perfectly well over the current frequency bands.

Now let's think again why you would want to put dttv over white space and how this will benefit the consumer in any way shape or form. And alternatively let's consider how the consumer would have to buy new hardware to cope with the change in frequency and the government could rake in a load more dosh selling off frequencies and all that lovely VAT on the hardware ...

Basically they're just building a spaghetti junction of frequencies - and then putting a toll on each road ...

2. Kay Burley ate my hamster

What? Could you be any less clear?

Is the article saying whitespace between DTV muxes, or muxes over whitespace?

3. etabeta
    FAIL

Outright Incompetance

OFCOM doesn't know what they are talking about. DTT on white space? Give me a break OFCOM! How much did the telecoms bribe you to make such an idiotic proposal. Just imagine everybody having to retune their TV every few hours because of changes in the whitespace resources. If anything needs a sure frequency assignment that is interference-free, it is DTT!

4. Mage Silver badge
    Mushroom

Stupid

We knew Ofcom was for this stunning stupid spectrum grab as part of their plan to abolish Terrestrial TV.

It's bloody dammed stupid and doesn't work, nor can ever work unless EVERY TV RECEIVER reports live to the Database.

Nor can it be properly policed or regulated.

Nor will people with "freezing" or pixelated pictures know who to complain to.

The very name "White space" is an US invented Euphemism!

Big business selling gadgets is behind this. Ofcom only cares about Corporates. Not the Consumer or protecting Spectrum users.

There is thing called Spectrum Planning. There IS not "white space" it's a myth. Unused channels can't be filled with Local DTT , IOT or Internet links. The channels HAVE to be unused. MORONS!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stupid

Ofcom are really throwing it all out the window. Disowning their own mobile spectrum forecasts recently and now this statement that spectrum demands are growing and whitespace might be the answer, which is it to be?

Adding adhoc DTT to the mix is very very very ugly. Until recently the micro$ofts and googles of this world were just trying to flog databases for fixed links - not sure how ad hoc fixed links are (that are installed on sides of buildings in the middle of nowhere with no television usage but hey they have product to sell) but now this. Surely we should just revive the almost dead DVB-H standard or at least the other Asian standards for mobile tv reception and interactive elements and do it properly?

Finally the statement about the range of wifi frequencies verses tv white space is a physics thing. If you opened up unlicensed spectrum down in the 500 - 700 MHz band then yes your signal will travel further. Maybe the PR people need to get back to A level physics before they spunk some more tax payer cash on this drivel.

AC due to my employer

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like