back to article Larry Ellison: Who's the DINOSAUR NOW, cloudy rivals?

There’s more to cloud than putting an ad on the back of The Economist, as a relatively contrite Larry Ellison and Oracle tried to demonstrate this week. His PR people rattled out the product news at Oracle’s OpenWorld conference in San Francisco, California, like he, or they, were trying to prove something. What could it be …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oracle's long term future is... nobody cares

Oracle can't compete with itself in cloud vs. on-premise, simply because, as the article correctly points out, they are a billion dollar operation in on-premise. Oracle can't compete with anyone else in cloud because they prefer to use their working capital to purchase other business or give profits to shareholders (and the biggest ones usually purchase islands and yatches with that money) instead of massively investing capital in infrastructure assets like Amazon, Google or Microsoft do.

On the long term, Oracle is consigned to the niche of selling on-premise database engines (either in hardware appliance or stand alone form) and squeezing out every last drop of support fees from all their acquired products and database customers.

Bookmarking this post to check again in five years and enjoy the "see, I was right" effect.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oracle's long term future is... nobody cares

Along with every other 'corporate' that just exists to service shareholder value and no longer produces any innovation.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“Frankly, when MySQL came into Oracle, MySQL was a bit of a mess.”

A truth statement if ever there were one.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No dice, thanks

1 - It's Oracle

2 - it's Ellison

3 - It's in the US

4 - It's late to the party

5 - did I mention it's Oracle?

4. fanboi #451
    Gimp

Ellison vs Salesforce is, in my opinion, rather like a battle between Tony Blair and Gordon Brown. Nobody could care less about who wins and everyone wishes that one would kill the other off.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like