back to article Apple blacklists tech journo following explicit BENDY iPhone vid

Apple has allegedly blacklisted a German tech journalist who filmed a video that proved the new iPhone 6 Plus could be bent. Axel Telzerow, editor of Computer Bild, was determined to see if the new mobe could be persuaded to take on a more curved shape, only to be "shocked" to see how easy it was to buckle the already quite …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Streisand effect

Except that in this case everybody knows about Apple anyway, so it's just a Streisand ripple.

1. Tom 13

Re: Streisand effect

Well until yesterday there was at least one editor who didn't know about Apple.

2. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

You're reporting it wrong.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

More importantly, according to Apple only 6 iphones have bent.

So this video is 1, the kids in the store are 2&3 Are they therefore saying that there are only 3 other reports worldwide? Or are Apple lying to cover this up?

1. SteveK

Actually, it wasn't 6 iPhones, it was all of the iPhone 6, they just wheeled out Yoda to make the announcement.

2. Bob Vistakin
        Terminator

Titter, chuckle, chortle.. It's turning into a fiasco of Microsoft proportions.

3. Tim Bates

"More importantly, according to Apple only 6 iphones have bent."

The report I heard said 9 confirmed, worldwide. Still low, but I did immediately wonder how many sheeple simply hadn't yet reported the problem.

And as they've now commented on the problem, 3 things happen:

1) Every iOwner now checks their device regularly for bends.

2) Apple introduces a change to the design and replaces any bent units people complain about.

3) Apple makes no further comments on the issue, leaving the only comment as there is only 6 (or 9) bent phones.

2. Crazy Operations Guy

If you can't say anything nice

they won't let you say anything at all...

1. Eddy Ito Silver badge

Re: If you can't say anything nice

To be fair Apple aren't alone in this practice. It's quite common in the automotive industry as well where a bad review of a Porsche, BMW, etc. can get you banned from from their promotional events and you can forget about loaners for future reviews. Companies like Ford and Toyota don't have that luxury since a potential reviewer can hit any of a myriad rental shops and plonk down a few bucks for a day of thrashing reviewing. Owners aren't likely to make a big fuss in public since they face a different problem - who wants to say they spent all that money on a car that's pants especially if they have the money "upgrade" in a short while?

1. Darryl

Hell, if you give Tesla a bad review, you could be sued.

Then again, I probably shouldn't remind Apple of that option.

2. Triggerfish

True, although I remember when buying a PSU a while back for a pc, after checking the reviews for my hard earned spends there was a review in custom PC of a seasonic PSU that they had sent for preview and the reviews didn't give it great ratings (not bad but there were flaws, they did tough tests), seasonic actually listened to the review (I think they actually contacted the mag as well) and came back with a redesign.

I have to say that was a big influence on who I spent my money with.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Bloody hell, people review power supplies and then other people actually read them?

Life, get one and try it for a year or two... They're quite good.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

All I can say is that you have obviously never had a cheap PSU blow up on you. If you're building your own PC, it's one of the most important components to get right.

If I were to buy one that subsequently failed in a short period of time, or gave shitty voltages, or didn't output the current it was rated for, then damn right I'd leave a negative review of it to warn others...

2. Halfmad

PC Master Race says.

Go back to your console peasant.

3. Triggerfish

Re: If you can't say anything nice @ Anonymous Coward

Yeah I prefer to build my PCs rather than buy them from pc world.

3. wowfood

On Eddy Itos post, it reminds me of an episode of top gear I watched once. They wanted to test drive some car, and had been told they could have one, and then teh company changed their mind because they thought that the car would get slammed.

So instead they went to a dealership, and did a 'hidden camera' test drive, I think it was James May doing the driving, can't remember.

I believe they also had another episode where something similar happened, iirc they were driving through russia or romania... some eastern europian country. Two of three cars turned up, the third did not because the company didn't want them test driving it, so IIRC hammond bought one, using his own money.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

" believe they also had another episode where something similar happened, iirc they were driving through russia or romania... some eastern europian country. "

It was the USA - and Hammond quite liked it in the end too, especially after the performance at Bonneville.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple, there's really no need for you to get all bent out of shape over this.

Applause please :-)

1. Yugguy

Re: Apple, there's really no need for you to get all bent out of shape over this.

Somebody threw their PR department a curve ball.

1. Afflicted.John

Re: Apple, there's really no need for you to get all bent out of shape over this.

Personally I would bend over backwards to get that kind of access to Apple tech.

1. TheOtherHobbes

They're just trying to make sure no one forgets the rounded corners.

1. Triggerfish

Dunno about applause but mebbe a b-dum tish. :)

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Personally I would bend over backwards to get that kind of access to Apple tech."

You just solved the problem. People are putting the iPhone 6 Plus in their pocket and then bending the wrong way. As Apple would say, you sitting (bending) the wrong way.

4. Yugguy
    Go

This bendy meme

Is funny.

The end.

1. Adam 1 Silver badge

Re: This bendy meme

But will it bend?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Has anyone tried bending an iPhone 4 or 5 yet? Perhaps they were always bendy but no one thought of bending them?

1. Afflicted.John

What? With their reinforced glass housing. People can throw stones though...

2. admiraljkb

The iPhone 4/5's are short/squat/fat devices so bending them is harder with them being relatively thick but small. Although I do wonder about a 5 series being long/skinny... The 6 series is more spread out so you get greater leverage on bending with the same material thicknesses. Then we're dealing with a cheap aluminum exoskeleton that doesn't like to get spread out thinly like that, and it sure enough doesn't like to have holes in weak spots. Not sure why Apple didn't move the controls to the top/bottom where there is more structural strength.... That would increase the force required to bend, OR just make it 2mm thicker and beef up the frame and materials a little so it has the same rigidity as previous phones.

1. nanchatte

Oh, and iPhone 4s are made from Stainless steel. I still think the 4s was the pinnacle of iPhone design, if not ergonomics.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"aluminum exoskeleton that doesn't like to get spread out "

Please don't attribute emotions to aluminium, it hates it so much it gets completely bent out of shape.

3. william 10

Yes, Iphone 5 takes about 130 pounds of force where the Iphone 6 takes 70 pounds of force to bend.

4. DrXym Silver badge

"Has anyone tried bending an iPhone 4 or 5 yet? Perhaps they were always bendy but no one thought of bending them?"

The plus has a larger screen so someone can apply more force by using their thumbs to form a fulcrum and levering from the ends. It's probably harder to do with the smaller phones.

Aside from the greater leverage, Apple didn't stiffen the device enough so the aluminium deformed and that's that. People trying the same with a Galaxy Note 3 have shown it to be far more difficult to do - presumably the plastic shell is more resistant to deformation.

5. Tom 35 Silver badge

Consumers reports did. The 5 is MUCH less bendy requiring around double the force to bend.

6. John Bailey

"Has anyone tried bending an iPhone 4 or 5 yet? Perhaps they were always bendy but no one thought of bending them?"

Yes. And even they take considerably more force.. That consumer magazine report from a few days ago tested a 5 in the same machine where the new preciouses came last. The one that found all phones don't in fact bend so easily.

Not the best performer, but Aluminium, despite Apple's assertions is indeed bendy in thin cross section.

Cracked screen and bulging case from swollen battery.. Noticeable.

Poor reception. Noticeable.

Flat phone not flat any more.. Noticeable.

Fanboy excuses.. Laughable.

From now on, when someone says their iPhone rocks, they may actually mean back and forth when they put it on a table.

1. paulc
        Happy

"From now on, when someone says their iPhone rocks, they may actually mean back and forth when they put it on a table."

Chortle... especially as the camera lens sticks out as well in the top corner...

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Aluminium, despite Apple's assertions is indeed bendy in thin cross section.

A quick google search on the physical properties of aluminium confirms that it is both highly ductile and malleable. In layman's terms, this means that it can be both stretched, and squished easily. Not a great choice for a mobile phone housing, which is why other phone manufacturers who were already making phones with an aluminium body (*cough* HTC), make theirs out of a sufficient thickness of metal. Another case of Apple nicking someone else's idea and screwing it up...

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Okay, having just read the actual test results in CR, it seems that HTC's phone performs just as badly, confirming that aluminium is not a good choice for something that is going to go in a pocket and get sat on. Looks like Apple still copied them despite there already being reports of this being a problem with the One M8 (which is a horrible name for a phone IMHO).

7. PsychicMonkey

A friend has a bent iPhone 4s, to be fair it was in her bag and got driven over (not on purpose) and it still works even though it is bent, which I have to say I was quite impressed by. Still wouldn't buy one though.

6. Semtex451 Silver badge

Apples PR Dept has suffered weakness in the middle, for a long while now

7. Ol' Grumpy
    Thumb Up

"... fruity stormtrooper ..."

Brilliant!

1. kmac499
      Facepalm

"... fruity stormtrooper ..." Love It

Fruity Stormtrooper: Let me see your Press identification.

Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: [with a small wave of his hand] You don't need to see his Press identification.

Fruity Stormtrooper: We don't need to see his Press identification.

Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: These aren't the Blackberries you're looking for.

Fruity Stormtrooper: These aren't the Blackberies we're looking for.

Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: He can go about his business.

Fruity Stormtrooper: You can go about your business.

Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: Move along.

Fruity Stormtrooper: Move along... move along. and Have a Nice Day...

'Pologies to S Spielberg

1. Anonymous Blowhard

You should be apologising to George Lucas! And then to Steven Spielberg again for mistaking him for George Lucas!

1. Vociferous

Spielucasberg

I also always get Lucas and Spielberg confused, which is odd as one is an a gifted director who's won three academy awards and the other is George Lucas.

2. Vector
      Thumb Up

Thumbs also for the apology:

If you're listening Apple, we're sorry for what we said to your Peak CEO back in the good old days. Can we have a free bendy iPhone, please?

8. admiraljkb
    Joke

Hmmm, this gives me an idea

Any chance we could get David Beckham .to do a iPhone bending video ?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...the iPringle is born

1. PiltdownMan

Or, maybe, The New bPhone (b for Banana!!).

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Devil

This is your own fault: iPhone 6 song

10. Daniel B.

I do remember!

It was because of Jagwyre. Or at least, I think it was because of that.

I'm not surprised about Apple, after all they forced Ellen DeGeneres to backtrack on a joke ad she made on the iPhone. But really, Apple shouldn't keep the Jobs-era policy on reporters given that they don't have Jobs on the helm anymore. They're just coming out as rude.

11. Big_Boomer

Blasphemy I tell you,.... BLASPHEMY!!

When will these people ever learn that criticising the ONE TRUE GOD is going to get you put on the Naughty Step? Lets face it, ElReg has been there so long they have a mortgage on it. :D

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019