back to article Tim Cook: 'I'd call what's going on in fondleslabs a speed bump'

Time Warner Cable did not have a good week this week. A number of folks came out over the week to tell the Federal Communications Commission that they don’t like the idea of the company merging with Comcast. And in the middle of all that, the firm suffered a massive outage that downed a number of big cities on both the East and …

1. OmgTheyLetMePostInTheUK

I see no evidence of a Time Warner backbone, I am on Time Warner in Wisconsin, which puts me in the North Central part of the US. If I send something from here to Los Angeles, The data goes from here to Milwaukee then to Chicago. In Chicago it gets dumped xo.net for a couple of hops, and then is dumped onto AT&T, still in Chicago. My best description of AT&T's backbone is that it is very much a laggy-ass system, For example, each hop the data takes from here through the 2nd hop on xo.net are all 17ms or less. Every single AT&T hop is between 89ms and 92ms on good days, and over 100ms on bad days. So the first 7 hops are all 17ms and less and the last 8 hops, 7 of which are AT&T are all between 89ms and 92ms. What does that tell you?

So where is this mythical Time Warner backbone?

2. Spoonsinger

Tim, choose one or more from the definition of "denial"

n.

1. A refusal to comply with or satisfy a request.

a. A refusal to grant the truth of a statement or allegation; a contradiction.

b. Law The opposing by a defendant of an allegation of the plaintiff.

a. A refusal to accept or believe something, such as a doctrine or belief.

b. Psychology An unconscious defense mechanism characterized by refusal to acknowledge painful realities, thoughts, or feelings.

4. The act of disowning or disavowing; repudiation.

5. Abstinence; self-denial.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Tim, choose one or more from the definition of "denial"

6. A river in Egypt.

1. swissrobin
        Happy

Re: Tim, choose one or more from the definition of "denial"

Very funny

3. Jedit Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Charles Stross hates Word?

Well, now we know what the next exciting instalment of BOFH will be about, don't we?

4. Stevie

Bah!

Wonder if Alistair Reynolds actually contacted MS with his complaint or just offered it to the internet so it could be fixed by osmosis as so many do?

Not that I'm a fan of MSOffice of late.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like