back to article Zero-day hits Symantec endpoint products

Get patching, sysadmins, there's a zero-day in Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP). This US-CERT advisory is alerting anyone who ignored Symatec's note about the issue. CVE-2014-3434 is a local access vulnerability with a public exploit. A client buffer overflow can cause a blue-screen-of-death on the client, which could also …

1. jake Silver badge

Symantec was always useless ...

... and went down-hill after Peter Norton cashed out.

Seems the more things change, the more they stay the same. IMO, of course.

1. Gis Bun

Re: Symantec was always useless ...

So you haven't used it in about 15 years right? That's like saying Google+ sucks - without using it.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: Symantec was always useless ... @Gis Bun

Google+ and Facebook suck - and I haven't used them.

2. jake Silver badge

@ Gis Bun (was: Re: Symantec was always useless ...)

I haven't USED it in 25 years. I have, however, evaluated it regularly over that time-frame. Why? To know enough about the product to steer corporate clients into a sane direction.

Google+ does suck. Badly. How do I know? See above paragraph. There are far better solutions.

HTH, HAND.

2. Truth4u

Av soft

Av writers use the same tactics as V writers to hook your system. Inherently dodgy software.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh joy

Have to rely on shared service centre to sort.

Anon because Bacon

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Symantec Sucks"

Google the phrase.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP)

"Offensive Security reported on their website that they had identified an escalation of privilege vulnerability within Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP)" ref

What we need is a SEP protection to protect against the vulnerabilities in Symantec Endpoint Protection, in other words, because SEP is just another Windows process, it's just as vulnerable as any other Windows app.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like