back to article Don't Hammer Bob's backup biz: At least sales are up

CommVault, the all-singing-and-dancing data management, enterprise backup and archive company, saw its revenues rise 14 per cent in its first fiscal 2015 quarter - but its profits fell by five per cent. Despite that, it still beat Wall Street's earnings estimates. Revenues were $152.6m compared to $134.4m a year ago, while the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NetApp

If I remember correctly NetApp are already big partners with Commvault in their SnapProtect product.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes.

Yes. NetApp or HDS would be two logical choices. Imagine one or the other buying Commvault, and then dropping the snapshot support for the competitor. That would hurt!

3. unredeemed

Commvault partners with any storage vendor, they don't have an allegiance. I've run into them with CoRAID, NetApp, HDS, even Isilon from EMC. They only claim to need "disk," and will do anything to push their software stack. I do not doubt it's a good product, it's just that their pre-sales teams are very coy and misleading about their true hardware requirements for production workloads.

Someone like NetApp buying Commvault would be a huge win I think for both companies. And HDS is a good bet too, though I think NetApp would make it's attempt first and be aggressive in its offer for it, if only CV wouldn't ask for a 50% premium of their worth.

The only way IMO for CV to really start dominating is to offer a true integrated hardware bundle. Built to spec, supported by a single vendor. Once that happens, Symantec and EMC, watch out.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon