back to article Twitch rich as Google flicks $1bn hitch switch, claims snitch

Google and Twitch were tight-lipped this morning in California – amid swirling rumors that the internet goliath will formally seal a $1bn deal to buy the video-streaming upstart. Twitch spokesperson Chase (just Chase) refused to rule out the speculation, and instead gave us "no comment" when we called. Given that Twitch is a …

Silver badge

That would suck. Not only is Twitch a lot less a**hole-ish than Gootube, the streaming is one of the few that works with Firefox on Linux, unlike crap like LiveStream and the rest of that crowd.

Pint

Throw your Sky, Virgin and Freeview away.

Nothing better than unscripted broadcasting. Tonnes of great entertainment on there such as SeriousGaming where there is always a party going on in some-way shape or form. Of course, it is a gaming orientated website, so not for everyone.

If we look at the gaming channels on You-Tube they get huge views.

Channels like Twitch has massive potential. Hotel chain streaming channel deals etc.

Google will not want those eyeballs being diverted away from their channel, as that would drop their ad revenue, and the CIA would grumble and potentially reduce their monthly stipend to Google for their "Administrative access".

FAIL

humm

The internet is going to be angry.

Can't wait for people to have their twitch streams taken down by automated copyright infringement bots -_-

Anonymous Coward

Re: humm

I am the internet and I am angry.

Anonymous Coward

Google & Twitch?

Sounds like a very bad remake of Lilo and Stitch....

Anonymous Coward

This will probably be the end of those

late night booze filled streams which happens a lot, since they're not "family friendly".

Go

The race is on to start up twatch.com!

Still just speculation

I wish all these media outlets would stop speculating. Every time one of these articles appears, it isn't due to any new evidence, but is a link back to prior speculation! What happened to publishing articles when an actual source can confirm something?

Unhappy

Very disturbing news

Just watched Valve's Dota 2 International finals on Twitch's mobile app in HD, no lag, no buffering - just straight action. The Final itself was pretty crappy, but I think that final with Google Ads would have been even worst.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017