back to article NBN Co execs: No FTTN product until 2015

NBN Co executives have defended the slow progress of the organisation's fibre-to-the-node rollout, telling a Senate committee it would be “unlikely” for any telco to have a product ready for launch within a year of receiving new policy directions. The statement was made by NBN Co chief customer officer John Simon. Under …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

Meanwhile at the Murdoch mansion....

....and evil, if not un-worldly, cackle is heard far and wide.

2. Thorne
    Flame

The stupid Libs should have left it alone

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

One of the few things that Labor hadn't managed to turn into a debacle.

Now a debacle. Nice work guys and girl!

3. Tim Roberts 1

Thanks Tony!

Another fuckup it seems?

1. Benno

Re: Thanks Tony!

No 'seems' about it.

Thankfully I recently received a letter from my local member (non-Liberal, and still has her seat), that my suburb is back on the FTTP rollout schedule. I currently get ~17/2 on an ADSL2+ Annex M circuit, but the improved latency and upstream bandwidth of FTTP is key for work reasons. They were refurbishing pits on my street just before the election, and then it all went to the shitter when TA got in...

Malcolm Turnbull should know better, methinks he was somewhat railroaded into their current policy position.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

How dare you question Mr. Broadband.

2. aberglas

Your comment defines what is wrong with the previous FTTH system. You already get 17mbs. Enough to watch high definition TV. What exactly would you intend to do with any extra bandwidth. No, it will not make slow internet sites any faster, nor will it reduce latency, it is only about last mile bandwidth.

Meanwhile, others have no or very slow broadband and were never going to be on any list for FTTH in the next decade or two. Despite having a phone and being not that far from an exchange. That is because we would be more expensive than suburban to FTTH so get low priority. But a FTTN placed half way to to our house would work wonders and not cost that much.

4. Fluffy Bunny
    Angel

Good engineering

When Concorde first flew, a jounalist asked the chief engineer why it cost a billion to develop. After all, it just took off and went through the sound barrier. No drama or anything. The engineer explained, as if to a moron, that is what cost a billion.

So now we have a bunch of people, most of whom don't understand anything about engineering and not much more about telecommunications, asking "how hard could it be"? The answer is that it takes a year to do it so we don't kill anybody, nor even expose them to asbestos.

1. aberglas

Re: Good engineering

And the Concorde was a lemon. A toy not even the rich wanted to pay for subsidized by tax payers and ordinary travelers.

5. LaeMing
    Meh

I got mail!

Hmmm. I recieved a leaflet in my letter box yesterday explaining that in the next few months they would be digging up our area to install node boxes (and assuring us they would put the pavement, grass, trees, etc. back afterwards).

Not /REAL/ NBN, but better than nothing, I guess!

My mum, in a large regional centre down the coast, is still waiting to see if any-kind-of-wired-networking or death-by-old-age reaches her first.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like