back to article 'iPhone 6' survives FRENZIED STABBING. Truly, it is the JESUS Phone

A bloke on the internet has attempted to stab to bits what he describes as an Apple "iPhone 6" - but was stopped dead by the gizmo's frontispiece, perhaps fashioned of wondro-material "sapphire glass". Marques Brownlee, a Youtube tech reviewer who goes under the name MKBHD, managed to get his hands on two dummy models of what …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's 2014

Everything is faked

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's 2014

And so was that comment

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It's 2014

Catching up with the Nokias that could pass this test a couple of years ago then....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDEahsoa_N4

2. d3vy

bull...

...Shit

Saw the same videos for older models, screens still scratched after a few months of normal use.

1. DaLo

Re: bull...

Sand is the culprit, quite often. A bit of sand which gets on your finger or in your pocket and it scratches glass quite easily.

That is the test of the hardness of the display.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Quartz is a 7 on the MoHs scale of mineral hardness. Glass is 5.5, hardened steel is 7.5, sapphire is 9. So it is not surprising that sand would scratch glass, but it will not scratch sapphire. Nor is it surprising that he failed to scratch it with a knife point.

I am utterly shocked it is as flexible as his video showed, however.

1. Mike Bell

Indeed, sapphire is extremely hard. I have a rather expensive Rado wristwatch that has a sapphire face cover. It's virtually indestructible and will take any amount of bashing and scraping. They harden the metal as well, mind you, to make the whole thing ultra scratch proof. People have looked on in shock as I've deliberately scraped it along brick and concrete walls for a laugh. It's 10 years old and it looks like I bought it yesterday. NB I don't work for Rado.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I wonder if Apple will ever get that Liquid Metal thing to work. One of its claimed properties is to be extremely resistant to scratches, harder than the hardest steels. So long as it is harder than quartz, it wouldn't scratch in most situations (short of trying to scratch it with a gemstone or carbide tipped tool)

If they have sapphire on front and still have aluminum on back, they'll still get scratched it just won't impede your view of the screen...

1. Doogs

I've been carting a liquid metal usb stick around in my pocket for years. It's not so much scratched as developed a kind of patina. I've been annoyed with Apple for a long time now for stitching up the liquid metal contract; I would defo love another higher capacity usb stick made with it, damn good stuff.

2. Steve Crook

@Mike Bell

You complete swine. I'd never heard of Rado, went to the site and looked at their watches and found one that's just what I've been looking for, elegant and incredibly understated. As far as the price goes, *ouch* is an understatement, and I'd be afraid to wear it in case I lost it.

3. Admiral Grace Hopper

But will it blend?

As per title.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But will it blend?

Actually I'd really like to see that. Its possible it won't.

1. Phil W

I think it would actually.

Certainly as the video demonstrates the flat surface on the front (and presumably back) of the panel are very durable. But I suspect repeated high speed impacst from sharp blades in the Blendtec blender to the thin edges of the panel would do some more serious damage.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Probably....but there's a chance the blades might just sort of bounce it up above the blades and it'll be continually bouncing off the blades and the sides/top of the blender until it is shut off. That's why I'd like to see it, because one can't be certain it will turn into a sandy grit within seconds as would be the case if one did this with a glass panel.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

As soon as the device is released you'll get to see the video.

4. smartypants

Let us pray...

The book of Jobs, Chapter 3, verses III-IV:

Therefore took Marques a blade and it was put upon the flesh of The Lord's new phone smiteth could it not.

And the people spake unto him "What about keys?"

And thus did Marques look upon the crowd with dismay and shout "Verily, doubters, I presenteth these sharp tools - See!", yet no fresh wound sprang forth, and there was much gnashing and wailing of teeth among the people, and all around got down on their knees and prayed for forgiveness to The Lord for having purchased an android.

That was the end of the Lesson.

5. Steven Raith

"Mr MKBHD writes that he is "pumped" for the release of the iPhone 6, which we're hoping means he will be more ambitious in his choice of weaponry for the next video."

I immediately misread that as hoping he wasn't getting too enthusiastic* about the prospect of getting one.

My mind is broken today, I think.

Steven R

*I meant wanking himself into a sweaty lather. Enjoy that lunchtime mental image, everyone.

1. Alister

*I meant wanking himself into a sweaty lather. Enjoy that lunchtime mental image, everyone.

Yeah, thanks for that.

Somebody pass the brain bleach...

1. tomban
        Angel

brain bleach

Here you go:

asus_eeepc_beach_babe.jpg

2. Ralph B

"Mr MKBHD writes that he is "pumped" for the release of the iPhone 6, which we're hoping means he will be more ambitious in his choice of weaponry for the next video."

I immediately misread that as hoping he wasn't getting too enthusiastic* about the prospect of getting one.

I think this sort of thing is more what The Reg was suggesting.

6. Sheep!

This is a reasonable test, anyone vaguely human will end up trying to stab their iPhone after about half an hour of owning it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If it is so much bigger than the 5S as it appears there is no chance I'll have it. It's almost like having an iPad mini with phone functions. No thanks.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: He's not hitting it the right way!

Ah, the good old laws of mechanical engineering..

Measure with a micrometer

Mark with chalk

Cut with an axe

If it doesn't fit, use a larger hammer

If it breaks it needed replacing anyway..

8. Mr. EMan

MKBHD isn't an Apple fanboi. His phones are generally of the Android variety.

He's taken a knife to a LG G Flex Self Healing Back before. I guess he just likes knives.

9. h4rm0ny

Fantastic!

This is really impressive. I suspect guerilla marketing from Apple if this is genuinely their new screen, but I don't care. I really, really like to see technology such as this in phones.

In fact if it's that tough, I'd like to see an entire phone case made out of it so that I can see the phone hardware inside. Can this be moulded into something other than a flat plane?

In any case, beautiful technology.

1. Simon Harris
      Coat

Re: Fantastic!

"I suspect guerilla marketing"

If it's true about the new glass technology, it's not gorilla marketing, that's for sure!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"No gorillas were harmed in the making of this video"

2. Simon Harris

"I'd like to see an entire phone case made out of it so that I can see the phone hardware inside."

Surely the case should be made from stainless steel. A Sapphire and Steel iPhone - that might be enough to convert me!

1. h4rm0ny
        Thumb Up

>>"Surely the case should be made from stainless steel. A Sapphire and Steel iPhone - that might be enough to convert me!"

Me too. Though I imagine other medium atomic weights would be available. :)

2. R 11

On most modern phones, a clear rear cover is really only going to show you the battery, since it takes up the vast bulk of space behind the rear cover. That's probably a big part of why, when Google/LG and Apple made phones with glass backs, they chose not to show the phone's innards.

3. Frank Bough

Glass is a relatively poor heat conductor, so making a whole phone out of it might cause some cooling issues. I love the glass and stainless steel sandwich design concept, but Apple seem wedded to their unibody aluminium technique now, and you can't deny the advantage to size and weight.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Glass is a relatively poor heat conductor"

Silicon dioxide may be, but Sapphire isn't.

One of the problems with metal cases is letting the signal in/out.

Skeleton slot antennas work, but they defeat the asthestics of an unbroken metal surface.

10. Bob Wheeler
    Paris Hilton

Only in the land of dixie

Over the years I've seen the odd video review where they drop a phone from 5/6ft to simulate dropping your phone on the pavement (sidewalk). Drop it into a bucket of water - to simulate (it's lunch time so I won’t pollute your mind with that mental image - Thank you Steven R - bar-steward), all reasonably average simulations of what might happen to a phone real life.

But an "assault rifle"?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Only in the land of dixie

all reasonably average simulations of what might happen to a phone real life.

But an "assault rifle"?

Well, on the risk of this being in poor taste, that appears to be real life in the US if the reports of shopping mall and school shootings are anything to go by. Maybe the phone of choice in states with "stand your ground" laws..

2. lovingkitten

Re: Only in the land of dixie

Its a joke on the "iphone" saving a mans life by an assault rifle bullet catching his phone instead of his person during a robbery around Christmas a few years back

11. The Man Himself Silver badge
    Devil

Assault Rifle

"We bet many long-time Reg readers would love know what happens when sapphire glass comes face to face with a American assault rifle."

I was thinking more of a fanboi-meets-assault-rifle scenario, but your idea is good too

12. The Man Himself Silver badge

Toughened Glass

"It is an extremely high quality material and really durable. It's paper thin - like literally the same thickness as a piece of paper - and totally see-through. I would say zero per cent opacity,"

So...toughened glass is both (a) tough, (b) transparent (sapphire glass has been around for years and years) but because it's associated with an Apple product he feels the need to get all tumescent about it.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: Toughened Glass

>>"but because it's associated with an Apple product he feels the need to get all tumescent about it."

I don't even own any Apple products and I think this is cool. Just because tech companies are treated like football teams by some tragic cases, doesn't mean many of us don't just really like good technology and science.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Toughened Glass

+1 for using tumescent in this context, nice double entendre.

(look it up, it's worth it)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"After applying "deep pressure" of a kind that is "way beyond what would happen in your pocket", "

Who keeps their phone in their pocket?! I keep mine under my bowler hat.

1. 's water music
      Joke

Enthusiastic, pumped and hardened.

Who keeps their phone in their pocket?!

Me.

Two words.

Vibrating Alert Function.

1. chr0m4t1c

Re: Enthusiastic, pumped and hardened.

>Two words.

>Vibrating Alert Function.

Yeah....

Count again.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Who keeps their phone in their pocket?! I keep mine under my bowler hat."

How positively vulgar. A real gentleman has his manservant carry his mobile communication apparatus a respectable 10 paces** behind his master.

** unless he is required to open doors, clear the labouring classes out of the way etc.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"A real gentleman has his manservant carry his mobile communication apparatus a respectable 10 paces** behind his master."

A real gentleman leaves such things as communications to the lackeys and only deals with other real gentlemen - face to face.

14. The Axe

Tim Worstal

So Tim, and by extension El Reg, was right over a year ago about Apple using sapphire for their screens.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/02/gorilla_glass_ipads/

1. Tim Worstal

Re: Tim Worstal

What?

But, but, the mere idea that anyone wouldn't have believed me/us is so absurd as to make this comment superfluous! Borderline apostasy in fact, bringing the Church of Reg into disrepute by even positing the possibility of error!

Nurse, my pills please and a nap.

15. KraziKrix

fanboi?!?!?

I'd hardly call Mr Brownlee a fanboi. Have you ever watched his YouTube Channel or followed his G+ posts?

16. Stretch

The glass is just a product. its not crapple exclusive.

"harder than gorilla glass" is not much of an accolade. That shit could be scratched by an angry jelly baby.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It is an exclusive for a while at least

Apple spent over a billion dollars in an exclusive deal with GT Advanced to build a special factory to expand the worldwide sapphire production by 10x to get enough for their use, and it took several years of planning, research and building to make this happen. This isn't something other companies can just buy on the open market, not in the volumes needed for anything more than a limited production run of a low volume product.

If Samsung or whoever wanted to do this, it would take them at least a couple years to do so, unless they already started working on it when the first rumors about Apple and GT Advanced surfaced.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like