back to article China's world-beating Tianhe-2 super has brawn, not brains

China has put a lot of iron into its 2.5 billion yuan (roughly $US400 million) world-beating home-grown supercomputer, but concerns are now emerging that too much attention on the hardware has come at the expense of giving the system usable software. The latest TOP500 report reconfirmed the position of China's 3-million-core, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just like researchers in the USA ...

... apparently Chinese researchers believe every scientific calculation should be reducible to an Excel spreadsheet or Matlab script.

2. bazza Silver badge

It's all about the software. It doesn't matter if it's a mobile phone, desktop, server, mainframe or supercomputer, the software is always King.

The Japanese K machine, 4th on the list, is the highest placed pure CPU computer. I know it uses a bespoke interconnect but there's probably a ton of software for it, or at least lots of source code that can be easily adapted. That might make it the 'quickest' computer out there because no one is wasting time writing software...

3. Arnold Lieberman

Anybody who has bought a Chinese tablet/phone etc. knows this isn't unusual... I have cupboards full of old things like tablets etc. that have so much potential but can't be used because the software is rubbish and the manufacturer won't open-source kernel code.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Too many researchers, the report says, have to write their own software to use the machine"

Sounds like the Chinese dont really "get" computational science then. When I last worked in that field, researchers writing their own software for high-performance computing platforms was pretty much what it was all about.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like