back to article Unexpected Termination Error at Year of Code: Chief dumps venture for other UK.gov riches

The head of the government-backed Year of Code caper has quit, just four months into her new job. Chief executive Lottie Dexter will become a special advisor to Matthew Hancock, a Parliamentary Under-Secretary at the Business Department responsible for education and training. That's also a taxpayer-funded job, sharp-eyed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alan Bourke

A Year Of ...

Making Software Development An Attractive Career While At The Same Time Identifying Those With Aptitude Early On And Encouraging Them Via Apprenticeship

... would be a much more sensible proposition.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A Year Of ...

"... would be a much more sensible proposition."

Yes. But let's face it, done well, software coding isn't a good bet for volume jobs. Great for IP owners, certainly, because you can keep selling the same product time and again with a token bit of bug fixing and upgrades, but as a big bet for Britain in the jobs stakes, it's never going to come off.

But I think our digression here misses the real point of the story, which is that government sucks in those with negative talent - from the experience-free hangers on at the bottom (as in this story), right up to the top where gormless, over-privileged, Fluck & Law faced Oxbridge boys bray at each other from both sides of the house, with all the majesty and intellect of howler monkeys. Thinking about this further, I suspect Complete Fucking Idiocy (CFI) is in fact the mysterious dark energy that binds the universe together; knowing that we have a portal (the British government) that sucks CFI in, can we not use this as some form of power generation? Idiots are clearly and unfortunately renewable, but we might as well try and make use of the cretins.

2. Woodgie
    Stop

SpAd

I believe to train drivers this means 'Signal Passed At Danger' (i.e. jumping a red)

Which fits here too.

3. Mark 85

Ah.. hypocrites feeding at the public trough..

And after the professing of "think of the children", they abandon ship for more taxpayer money. So much for staying around and working for what they supposedly believe in.

4. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Null pointer

dereferenced

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: Null pointer

If only this environment had working garbage collection.

5. Leeroy

Code academy

She really should have completed the HTLM Code Academy course before visiting Paxman, the Mrs finished in within a few hours and is loving the python one. I may make a programmer out of her yet :)

6. Infernoz Bronze badge
    Stop

Just call a SpAd

a spad they are completely f'ing useless parasites! Anarchy in the UK OK!

7. Anonymous Blowhard

No surprise

Blood-sucking parasites have evolved to seek out the richest vein.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have a better idea

As an experienced coder I have no experience of high-paid, tax-payer funded non-jobs which involve loitering with intent around minor politicians and attending all manner of pointless but well-catered junkets.

So I wonder if the government would care to put me in charge of a well-funded new initiative called the 'Year of Talentless Hangers On", in which we seek to ensure that all youngsters are given the opportunity to learn how to bullshit their way through interviews about political issues without ever giving a straight answer, while quoting meaningless statistics which are invariably wrong.

9. Crisp

What is Lottie Dexter qualified to advise people on?

Except how to avoid getting a proper job.

10. PeterM42
    Megaphone

SpAd

They are "all in it together" - milking the taxpayers.

This topic is closed for new posts.