back to article cosmic belch from supermassive black hole stuns boffins

The dimming of the bright centre of an active distant galaxy may be the result of unexpected behaviour from a supermassive black hole at its heart, according to NASA. A black hole Bad gas ... Artist's impression of a black hole The scientists, using NASA and ESA space observatories including the Hubble Space Telescope, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Interesting stuff, once more

Bit borderline magnitude for my scope, but I should try to hunt it down if I get a chance. As Seyfert galaxy, it should have a bright core (they are not JUST bright in X-ray and UV).

Gold badge
Happy

This is why people complain about the streetlights being dim when we walk home from our real ale and curry nights...

Coat

Okay, I will escalate this right away.

@Spartacus: Those are gaseous expulsions from brown holes, mate.

Coat

ionised wind

A commonly heard complaint throughout the West Indies after the consumption of excessive amounts of very hot, spicy fried chicken, usually blamed on the mysterious black-hole of Babylon.

Mushroom

Re: ionised wind

Once had a girlfriend from Yorkshire, who was a fiend for the combo of Newcastle Brown and pickled eggs.....(ye gods how i must have loved that woman).....

Now THAT my friends is out-gassing of hard radiation....this thing?......meh.

(no gas mask icon, so this'll have to do)

Silver badge
Coat

"real ale and curry nights..."

Well a vindaloo or by preference a Bangalore phal will usually get rid of the taste of real ale. Yuurgh! Reinheitsgebot or make mine a G&T.

(uppies anyway)

Silver badge
Headmaster

"Bad gas ... Artist's impression of a black hole"

This artist has flunked art school and now goes into "scientific illustrations" unencumbered by any idea of what he's drawing about.

A "black hole" is not a Hollywood-style sinkhole in space. It "looks" like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

Silver badge

Re: "Bad gas ... Artist's impression of a black hole"

Black holes are very messy eaters, some 40% material escapes it, and it is this escaping matter which is illustrated. Wikipedia article shows impression on a black hole in empty space (and very close, too), but this is not the the case here.

Gold badge
Happy

Re: "Bad gas ... Artist's impression of a black hole"

Black holes are basically cosmic Cookie Monsters...

Silver badge
Coat

Wrong name, surely

"a long-predicted shielding process that allows powerful gas winds to be accelerated to high speeds out of a black hole"

Shouldn't they be calling this an ass hole?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018