back to article Indian DEITY hands down new manufacturing subsidy plan

India's Department of Electronics and Information Technology – which cheerfully uses the domain name deity.gov.in – is making a play to bring more electronics manufacturing work to the sub-continent. India and the Department established a Modified Special Incentive Package Scheme (MSIPS) in 2012, offering to rebate up to 25 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom Womack

Could you check the geography in paragraph five again?

Whilst Vadadora and Gandhinagar are quite close to Ahmedabad, Ghaziabad is a thousand kilometres away. Ghaziabad is, however, adjacent to New Delhi.

Thane is the one next to Mumbai; Nashik is a hundred miles north-east of Mumbai and Aurungabad a further hundred miles inland.

Nagpur is pretty much exactly in the middle of India, I would be interested to hear DEITY's advice about its infrastructure issues.

On the other hand, it's nice to have started hearing about India's tier-two cities.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Could you check the geography in paragraph five again?

Hopefully they'll actually start enforcing H&S laws in these industries as well. As much as I love seeing untreated corrosive gases exhausting out an open window via flexible plastic pipe, it ain't pretty.

2. Old Handle

Oh

I was hoping it was Kali.

Still, it's good news. Maybe those guys from "Windows" who call me about once a month with a virus warning can get honest jobs now.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Window dressing

Throwing subsidies at the private sector has been tried the world over with little or no long term success. It just results in subsidy tourism.

India's problems are graft, stifling bureaucracy, and poor infrastructure - subsidising tech manufacturing plants will not address any of those. Moreover, subsidising tech manufacturing doesn't buy high value jobs, it either brings in a big fab that employs relatively few people for its scale, or gets you a phone assembly plant that employs a lot of unskilled labour, but will move on as soon as the subsidy stops.

As usual we see a government that won't do the things that the private sector can't (rule of law, infrastructure planning, lower regulation), but wants to intimately involve itself in private sector activity and decision making. And the, also as usual, it will wonder why the money's been spent, and there's no enduring benefits.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like