back to article Nimble is as Nimble does: Mutant runs 'just like flash-only' gear

Nimble has boosted the performance of its hybrid flash and disk arrays with a CS700 model and all-flash expansion shelf. Nimble’s arrays provide disk-based capacity with flash used as a cache to accelerate data access. It claims that it now “provides the performance of flash-only arrays and the capacity of hybrid arrays” …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let me give you some updated HW <Poooooooof> ...And here is some more performance.

"New updated HW = Mo' performance" -- > seems reasonable.

Question I have is what is so adaptive about using flash as a read cache versus before? Why the new name? This sounds like marketing poop.

I love their kit because it is so much better than the three letter plague I used to have to deal with. Nimble homies, you have great tech and loyal customers. Please don't insult your customers intelligence with this adaptive flash message. Just focus on the fact that your architecture can deliver more performance as your controller HW is upgraded. No harm in that!

1. Lynrd
      Boffin

Re: Let me give you some updated HW <Poooooooof> ...And here is some more performance.

OK, Yeah, I get it. The idea of referring to it as Adaptive Cache really applies more to the ability to increase the ratio of the Cache layer relative to the Storage layer. With the AFS, you can change the ratio dramatically if needed, and because of the Infosite telemetry data, any recommendation or decision to increase the cache ratio is based on hard numbers, not any sort of guess work. We had some ability to do that by changing the four SSDs in the head unit to larger capacity units, but that only scales so far.

I think "Adaptive Flash" isn't a bad way to describe that new scaling dimension at all, as marketing stuff goes...I have heard worse in this biz..

Oh, and apologies to El Reg if that eye chart line card was supplied by Nimble - a CS-700 supports SIX shelves + 1 AFS in Max configuration, so a 4xCS-700 scale out config would support a potential of 24 expansion shelves and 4 additional AFS devices.

*Disclaimer - Proud Nimble Employee - but not in Marketing

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Let me give you some updated HW <Poooooooof> ...And here is some more performance.

What is afs? Andrew file system? Don't make sh!t up hoping it will stick.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

AFS = All Flash Shelf, as detailed in the article.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Imbecile!

Read the report, then have a rant.

Capisce?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

pendejo! you read the article first...

3. Lynrd

My apologies - I should not invoke a TLA without defining same . AFS = All Flash Shelf.

This topic is closed for new posts.