back to article Crypto-boffins propose safer buddy list protocol

One of the attractions of presence in communications services is that you know someone's available before you try to contact them. The flipside is that presence is also inimical to privacy. Now, a group of researchers has put forward a way to improve privacy of “buddy lists” but still allowing friends to know each others' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Interesting development

I am relieved that the efforts to secure our privacy from the ever-increasing might of online surveillance are continuing by virtue of intelligent people devoting their time to the (complex) issue.

And anything that secures more of my privacy from the grubby mitts of Google & Big Brother Inc is a plus in my book.

1. (AMPC) Anonymous and mostly paranoid coward
      Happy

Re: Interesting development

Most of the unpleasant knock-on effects of ubiquitous technology can be solved by better technology.

SMTP was a crap protocol for securing email, but the correctly applied use of private/public key technology solves many of the security issues associated with its use.

I for one, look forward to an internet where strong encryption of all communications data is routine and expected. We might then return to the same levels of privacy afforded by paper mail when it was sent inside sealed envelopes-

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

I think this is the start of a *long* road

An internet that protects its users from themselves.

As always with crypto and privacy the devils in the details but (cautious) thumbs up.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like