back to article A night with Tegile’s flashy twins will set you back $1.6 MILLION

Hybrid array start-up Tegile has come out with a T3000 product twinset; a high-end flash/disk hybrid and an all-flash array, equipping it to compete with both hybrid and all-flash array products. It’s done this by upgrading the controller processors from four 4-core Xeon E5620s to four 8-core Xeon E5-2450s. This is a serious …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

List

I'd suggest asking for List price for this kind of article. It used to be what vendors all put in their press releases. Between discounting factors in price negotiation and data reduction factors (parity vs. mirroring, dedupe, compression, thin, snap/clone versioning, etc.) and what math is claimed, the real $/GB for a customer can still vary widely. But if vendors do all this math for you as in this kind of article, you never know what you're really starting from. Better to separate the simple, raw $/GB at list and then work through the rest of the bets separately for different deployment choices.

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: List

But who pays list price in this day and age?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I know I know... Is it the same people who pay that type of money for a ZFS box? Just kidding.

Wondering if there is anything functionally unique about this confirm vs. a COTS + RHEL or Nexenta based offering since it is OSS based?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No one pays list -- but at least it's independent of another variable, the discount rate. Pure's assumptions in their 'street' pricing and other vendors assumptions can vary, and it's one more way your analysis can get confused. It's bad enough all the flash vendors are gaming the dedupe and compression stats. I see in their updated datasheet that Nimble has moved to expecting 2.5x compression instead of 2x, with no change in technology. (Sigh.) See footnotes here:

http://www.nimblestorage.com/products/specifications.php

2. RealityCheck

maybe i am confused here.....you spend a lot of money on a ralatively new product from a new player in town which can apparently go very fast but it only has 1GB ports on it?? granted a few of them, but why 1GB?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think they have 10GbE as well.

2. votze

I don't know what they did for the test system in this article but I do know Tegile supports Fibre Channel, 10GbE base T, SFP+ and Optical .

Also the Article title says "sets you back $1.6 Million" but at the end they mention the Pure system in $800K - $900K and the Tegile is $250K.

Kinda confusing article, some additional clarification is needed. I think it is good deal over Pure and something we should look at, but the title kinda threw me back thinking Tegile was over spendy.

This topic is closed for new posts.