back to article Sacre BLEURGH: Google thinks London's Victoria station is on the PARIS Metro

Google Maps is sloppily displaying the French Metro symbol for some route options on the subway London Underground. The UK capital's iconic Tube brand has been replaced with the letter "M" in some instances on the ad giant's mapping app, which is a symbol used by the subterranean transport network in Paris, France. Reg reader …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Underground roundel is copyright to LT, maybe Google forgot to apply for permission to use it? Although I assume, like most will, that this is simply sloppy coding!

2. ElNumbre
    Coat

Up North

I've not donned my coat and headed oop north for some years, but it does remind me of the Newcastle Metro logo.

Also, Morrisons Supermarkets, but I don't think they do public transport to any great extent.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Up North

The Morrisons font is a rounded slab serif, whereas the Paris metro M is not.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Up North

Now we "oop north" know where our "M" logo went on Google maps.

maps.google.co.uk calls the Tyneside Metro a "Subway".

Actually, I just checked. We have our M back. It's the same grey on white being used for the Lundon Underground trainset.

3. James Boag
    Joke

Re Up North

I though i saw Van Morrison in my rear view mirror this morning on the way into work, Then i remembered things are reversed in the mirror and it was a Morrisons Van, So they do do transport !

1. The Man Himself Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Re Up North

True story...I once worked with someone who spent a few minutes having a small rant about Van Morrison on account of his name - "Van" isn't a proper name they argued. That person's name? Laurie

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So it's only the wrong logo?

If this were Apple maps, it would ACTUALLY be telling you to cross the channel.

Then again, Apple maps doesn't have public transport nagivation, and Apple owners think they are too posh to use public transport anyway...

5. Simon Harris

If it were the Paris Metro...

the M would be in a circle.

Could it be the Bucharest metro? - that uses a plain M for its symbol and has a Victoria Station too (Piaţa Victoriei).

1. entfe001
      FAIL

Re: If it were the Paris Metro...

>The M would be in a circle

And blue, not gray.

6. Elmer Phud

M for

M for Murder

Victoria station in the rush hour.

1. WraithCadmus
      Mushroom

Re: M for

I have to pass through there every day at peak times.

Why do people insist on having colossal amounts of luggage they can barely wheel let alone lift for steps and doorways? Why do people always think they can 'beat the system' and go down the exit stairs, do they think the hundreds waiting at the entrance are doing it for shits and giggles? And why do people insist on blocking whole doorways to hold conversations and check maps (I have taken to simply clambering over their belongings)?

Finally, London welcomes tourists, but be aware that if you stand on the left, or walk on the right, you will be purged.

EDIT: And breathe...

1. theModge

Welcomes. But not very much.

1. WraithCadmus
          Happy

Maybe I've not been here quite long enough to become completely cynical about them, so yes, welcomes. Seeing people smiling and pointing at the guards or belming hardcore at Piccadilly Circus pleases me. I even help those who are stuck and contemplating the maps (language/gesticulation skills permitting).

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

In Brussels (could it be a Brussels Metro M sign?) there's no discipline. It's a good job it's not as crowded as London during rush hour. Nobody is organised about where they stand on escalators, and no-one gets out of the way of the train doors to let people get off. At one point I stood there in the middle of the door, with arms folded waiting for someone to twig that they weren't getting on until they let the passengers get out of the way first. I ended up barging a few people, relatively gently. The worst temptation was on frequent rainy days, when I had a nice big umbrella with a pointy end - and a terrible urge to make rude-commuter-kebabs...

I've spent quite a bit of time with my American neice and her Mum in London. Being from a small town, they both expect to chat with everyone they meet. And some people's reactions are very amusing - as they get sucked into cheerful chattiness, despite their best efforts to maintain the steely 1000-yard-stare of Tube indifference.

1. Bob Wheeler
              Happy

You do know there is a local by-law that states 'talking to stangers on the tube' gets you a £5,000 fine......

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"(I have taken to simply clambering over their belongings)?"

Here's a tip, try saying the words "excuse me, could you please move" and you will have much lower risk of being grabbed around the neck and thrown down the nearest flight of stairs.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Except that the 50 people behind me will push me up the stairs and I'll be gone.

2. WraithCadmus
          Terminator

You are right AC and I do try that first, but between noise, the people behind me, language barriers, and sheer pig-headedness (partly mine, but mostly that of people who've ALREADY blocked an entire thoroughfare) one must be prepared to just keep going.

Icon: Average commuter, will not stop

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

M fer sis

A for 'orses

B for lamb

etc...

8. Stevie

Bah!

Unacceptable! Rebrand those British subway stations with proper IRT logos at once!

9. Extra spicey vindaloo
    Trollface

RATP owns so much of British Transport

Maybe google are planning ahead.

10. OliverJ

Victoria - part of the Paris Metro system? But it is...!

Let's assume you are standing in front of Notre Dame, and suddenly it occurs to you that you have to be at the Tower of London this very afternoon. Why, you simply take the metro M4 from Cité to Gare du Nord, switch to Eurostar line in the direction of Victoria Station, where you will get out and take the Circle Line to Tower Hill. Voila.

11. M302.9

The M looks like Washington DC's Metro symbol with the white on black reversed. There could be some thinly veiled anti-UK message, but I would put my money on straight up lazy.

This topic is closed for new posts.