back to article Your mainframe's pegs not fitting in Amazon's elastic holes? Syncsort has a hammer for that

Syncsort wants to make life easier for Amazon cloud compute users who use data stored in mainframe storage silos and similar kit. Its solution? ETLaaS – or Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) as a Service. ETL products take data from a source, convert it as required, and then transfer it into the target system for processing. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stretch

expensive, inefficient legacy systems

Huh. Those are the ones that have been running rock solid for 25 years right?

If it ain't broke, don't buy some dumbass "cloud" service to replace it with.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cause Amazon's storage is going to be delivering appropriate response times for enterprise storage sometime in the near future... NOT.

The only truly amazing thing about all this cloud bollocks is that so many individuals seem to have so little understanding of what 'expensive, inefficient legacy storage systems' actually do, yet feel so qualified to comment about it.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Cause Amazon's storage is going to be delivering appropriate response times for enterprise storage sometime in the near future

Depends on the application. There are a lot of CICS and IMS applications that aren't doing time-critical enterprise processing. For a lot of organizations, moving middle-management OLAP queries off-premise makes sense. And a lot of ETL workloads are that sort of thing - they have pretty soft requirements.

3. phuzz Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Nice work to whoever came up with that headline, liking your work!

The sub heading not so much, TFM TLAs.

4. Where not exists

Inefficient workload

Actually what this does is transfer the inefficient workload to the "cloud". It's always good to move users and their dynamic SQL tablespace scans off the critical path and into the weeds where they can thrash to their hearts content while not bashing the SLA.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

ETLaaS

Wow! I missed an easy niche play. And yes, I'm serious. I was noted for tossing these off on breaks. I wish them well (and adding to bookmarks).

6. Mpeler
    Holmes

Survival of the f IT test

WOW, Syncsort is still around....and only 30 years ago they said mainframes were going to be put out to pasture by minis....and then minis by micros.....

A good example of adapting, as well as staying ahead of the game. I hope they "look at clouds from both sides now" before committing to what seems to be a strategy that could get killed by networks and telecoms...

not to mention various, er, bodies sniffing away at data in transit...

(I can see it now, cloud computing brought to its knees by six BEEELLIONTM people watching Nextflix or some such....)

(Worse yet, HAL9000 singing "Clouds" instead of "Daisy".....I need a beer...and a wee dram....)....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like