back to article Microsoft walks into a bar. China screams: 'Eww is that Windows 8? GET OUT OF HERE'

The Chinese government has banned Windows 8 from a sizeable chunk of public-sector PCs – capping off a long-running dispute with Microsoft over the company's decision to cut support for XP. The ban was announced by the government's IT procurement agency in a notice posted online on Friday. It was addressed to vendors bidding …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

We banned Windows 8 from the premises long before XP support ended.

Anonymous Coward

"halting the sale of Windows 7 and switching over to the higher-priced Windows 8 would lead to software piracy."

Until they realised that it's much harder to pirate Windows 8....

Silver badge

I think that it means that XP and 7 will become even more pirated not W8.

Silver badge

Re: @AC

"Until they realised that no one wants to pirate Windows 8...."

Fixed it for you.

Silver badge
Happy

Until they realised that it's much harder to pirate Windows 8....

Why pirate W8, M$ can't even give it away at gun point, Why would anyone want to steal a copy?

Bronze badge

Re: Until they realised that it's much harder to pirate Windows 8....

If it is the only version you can buy, people will pirate an earlier version.

Anonymous Coward

I've been running disposable w8.1 system for months now - it complaints about activation but keeps working hard for all the "casual" Internet access (if you know what i mean;). The only downside (besides nags) is that it won't let me personalize the start screen - OMG MS.

Really no reason to pirate.

Pirate

Disposable - that just about hits the nail on the head....

What was that song from Tony Orlando...something like

Tie an awful ribbon 'round the interface

We'll FAFF around and put another in its place...

Anonymous Coward

When will MS get it?

That Win 8 is a disaster, not just for them but for the whole PC industry...

I reluctantly bought a Win 8 non touch laptop to replace the wifes aging XP thinkpad. The Win 8 UI is utter crap.

The only positive outcome is that we have split up - so at least I won't be called on to do Win 8 support :| ( I migrated my stuff to Linux)

Re: When will MS get it?

That Win 8 is a disaster, not just for them but for the whole PC industry.

If the whole PC industry has been relying only on Microsoft, then it deserves anything it gets for running a single-supplier "plan".

My (limited) use of Win8.1 seems to show it's OK - just use the desktop part all of the time.

As for Red Flag Linux's demise - HP have stepped in:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/22/china_makes_linux_os_with_canonical_help/

http://www.zdnet.com/hp-targets-chinas-post-xp-crowd-with-ubuntu-kylin-7000029490/

I installed Windows 8.1 on a Mac Mini under UEFI mode.

I then wired in a Nvidia 660 through a Thunderbolt > PCIe enclosure. Windows 8.1 boots and works without a hitch, no hacks or dodgy drivers. It just boots, sees the external card and if you so desire uses that. It turns the Mini into a decent gaming machine. Something Win 7 struggled to do.

OSX wise, it needed 2 hacked files to work and do the same. I was so impressed I actually bought 8.1 and now use it for a bit of gaming as well as working under OSX using the external GPU.

3D Mark Before ViDock - Score 0

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1838246

3D Mark After ViDock - Score 3936

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1839002

Anonymous Coward

"The only positive outcome is that we have split up"

So the moral of the story is....if you want to split up with your partner, just get them Windows 8!

Silver badge

Re: I installed Windows 8.1 on a Mac Mini under UEFI mode.

And there you have it. The best machine for Windows ..is.....A Mac!

Go figure. Of course, why would someone ruin an interior of a Mac Mini with the gaudy Windows-8 design is beyond me. Some people's tastes!

Pint

<snip>

"I reluctantly bought a Win 8 non touch laptop to replace the wifes aging XP thinkpad. The Win 8 UI is utter crap.

The only positive outcome is that we have split up - so at least I won't be called on to do Win 8 support :| ( I migrated my stuff to Linux)"

Very sneaky move that one, I am glad your roll out strategy worked and that you had a positive result if not user experience.

Buy that man a pint.

"And there you have it. The best machine for Windows ..is.....A Mac!"

<snip>

Apart from NT4 running on a DEC Alpha, the best ever installations I have done of XP and Win 7 have been on Macs using Boot Camp etc.

I had a big network of them in Abu Dhabi and life was sweet and crashes few.

Linux

Re: "The only positive outcome is that we have split up"

"So the moral of the story is....if you want to split up with your partner, just get them Windows 8!"

I wonder if that's why my wife has been eyeing that Windows 8 touch screen laptop at the store.

I have alredy informed her that I will not support it.

Re: "The only positive outcome is that we have split up"

if you want to split up with your partner, just get them Windows 8!

So time to update "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover", then?

You just slip out the back, Jack

Make a new plan, Stan

Get Windows 8, mate

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would buy one of the overpriced, under-powered POSes to begin with.

Pint

Erm, was that "I reluctantly bought a Win 8 non touch laptop to replace the aging X(P) wife's thinkpad. The Win 8 UI is utter crap." :)

Have another pint. Windows 8 IS expensive....

Bronze badge
Trollface

"China was also reported to have told Microsoft that halting the sale of Windows 7 and switching over to the higher-priced Windows 8 would lead to software piracy."

China's concerned about software piracy? CHINA?

BWAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Gold badge

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. If MS try to stop people buying legit copies of Win7, it will increase the numbers buying pirate copies of Win7.

China, the champion of IP abuse, getting shitty that they no longer get support on freeloading copies of XP so refusing to pirate win 8.1 - yeah that'll teach those Microsoft imperialists.

Anonymous Coward

Nothing to do with Windows Support

I think China's motivation has a lot more to do with the NSA.

Black Helicopters

Re: Nothing to do with Windows Support

Mmm. Makes you wonder if there is a connection between this and the convenient list of alleged Chinese military "hackers" just Microsoft's guvmint has just released.. Just wondering...

Facepalm

Next headline:

Peoples' Republic Software Factory Number 36 offers continuing support for WinXP...

Silver badge

Right, because we know how secure XP is.

Anonymous Coward

Re: IP abuse champion?

China, the champion of IP abuse

You should really check your history. One of the most ironic feutures of the modern world is that the economy that attempts to claim the moral high ground on IP rights actually kicked off in the EXACT same fashion. The US berating China on its treatment of IP really is the pot calling the kettle black, despite what all their deceptive marketing tries to make you believe.

Not that I'm OK with what China does, but one has to preserve a bit of perspective here. He who is without sin and so on.

A friend has a company that makes things to sell. He made them in the UK to sell for a long time, but needed a cheaper line to sell alongside the premium line and took the blueprints to China for production. On his second visit, he saw local shops already selling knock-off's of his product, from the very same blueprint.

IP is heavily abused in all directions in the US for sure, no question, but it's slower and less balls-out.

A company I knew of had a similar experience, but 30 years ago, with Japan. Had a cross-company management training program, blueprints missing for a day, back the next day. Six months later, VERY similar devices started rolling out from Japan....the more things change, the more they remain the same...

What's that saying, "Better the enemy you know, than the friend you don't" ? (Not endorsing spying or the like....).

breaking news!

So we get this cack report plus the "witty" headline, but no reporting from the surface pro 3 launch?

You guys are no longer good for up to the minute news.

Anonymous Coward

Re: breaking news!

But of course, the Surface Pro 3 would be banned too since they're only shipped with Windows 8.

Reg never did up to the minute news, it does analysis. Think how much inane babble Fox and other rolling news stations bang out, jumping at every rumour and publishing every press release - when a bit of reflection could tell the whole story better. It's a different style of journalism.

Analysis? Lol, you need to expand your horizons and get a balanced opinion.

Virtually every article is written by a fanboi or hater of each OS or technology.

Analysis, that's funny..

@ tombo Re: breaking news!

"Virtually every article is written by a fanboi or hater of each OS or technology."

So you are here reading El Reg and commenting on their articles because...?

Silver badge
Windows

Surface 3 launch.

Not news... just another product launch burp.

<snip>

"Virtually every article is written by a fanboi or hater of each OS or technology."

<snip>

My dear sir, that is what puts the anal in analysis!

Trollface

"You guys are no longer good for up to the minute news."

I seriously thought that El Reg was just a step below The Onion any ways...

It's a different style of sensationalism.

There, fixed it for you.

Lol, you need to expand your horizons and get a balanced opinion.

We'll miss you terribly,1 but leave if you feel you must.

1Where else will we find some ninny who uses the interjection "lol"? We might have to recruit a YouTube commentator.

Alien

Hope this isn't the return of

E A D O N

or he/she/its opposite....

Rather have AManFromMars....

Silver badge

Wonder whatever DID happen to AManFromMars

Alien

Re: Wonder whatever DID happen to AManFromMars

Saw a comment from him today. He still pops up randomly (though sadly infrequently) to disgorge random pithy and incomprehensible (or just uber-encrypted?) observations for us lesser earthlings to make of what we will (or can).

Black Helicopters

Payback

I wonder if this is indirect payback against the US government for accusations against some Chinese officials.

Re: Payback

Payback ? Sounds like China's message to MS is doing the world a favour.

Facepalm

For the Chinese, MS offers Win7?

Phffffft!

50% market penetration, but only 5% ever paid for.

I can see no reason for Microsoft to give them a thing; Most of those machines are running pirated copies anyway! Remember those cheap, cheap copies of XP that you could get in Hong Kong? The ones that looked exactly like the Redmond product but were 100% phony?

Silver badge

Re: 50% market penetration, but only 5% ever paid for.

No, just 0.1% phony...

Which bits were different to the official version might worry you, of course...

Gold badge

Coming up next: Chinese XP.

So several Chinese companies are lining up to provide "support" for XP (doubtless benefitting from the fact that the Chinese government can provide them with the source code)? No doubt they'll be keen to offer this service to overseas customers as well. I can see it now. Install this "Chinasoft Update" ActiveX control and use it like you used to use Microsoft Update. Your Chinese friends will then supply you with monthly updates to your trusted computing base.

Sadly, I can imagine lots of people signing up to that.

J 3
Pirate

Re: Coming up next: Chinese XP.

Source code. That's the thing. Software companies should be forced to release to the public domain any code that they stop supporting, so others can do so if there is demand for such service.

What do you say, the new OS is mostly old code? Well, if that's such a problem then why (rhetorical question) release a new version at all and kill the older one? If the new thing is so much more advanced and different, and not just some cosmetic crap sprinkled with a few worthy performance/security patches, why care about the old code, right?

Anonymous Coward

Way to go

Windows 8 blows for regular PC users, and Microsoft keeps on acting like that is not the case and stopped issuing windows 7. For example they made the mouse less responsive than the touch screen. Come on Microsoft, it is time to stop this charade.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017