back to article Google staggers toward BEEELLION-dollar Twitch gobble - report

The Chocolate Factory has reportedly developed a yearning to take a bigger bite out of the video game streaming market, and has offered a cool billion to take over Twitch. Variety, citing “sources familiar with the project” (presumably because they are a better source than someone picked at random off the street), says the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. mafoo

Because videos of games on youtube worked so well

[ Sorry, the content has been blocked due to copyright infringement ]

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Because videos of games on youtube worked so well

Ach, that was with ninty.

Sony, MS and the sane publishers are cool with videos being made of their games...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The owner does not matter. Takes little to no effort to spoof/fake an account/ownership claim and thus take down any video for random reasons on Youtube. Twitch at least seems easier for the users to have some grace, than the "nuke it from orbit" tactic of Youtube (against small infractions or even big channels who specifically avoid copyrighted material).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Youtube is fucking horrible towards content creators - many big names and vat swathe of small names have been fucked by their awful auto content matching and the terribly way they implement means the content creators are always on the back foot as they can only contend 2 matches at a time, and matches have been thrown up by the most dubious of things and many of which even had the game developers and producers going "sorry guys this is youtube we didn't want to block your content" bar of course Nintendo/Square Enix/et al.

A lot of people started to migrate to Twitch because youtube had become so toxic (AngryJoe being the best example of someone who now does far more on twitch then on youtube) but even groups like yogcast are pumping twitch and their own content delivery over youtube because it's just too risky to operate there.

1. Woodgar

The anonymous one is correct.

Google flags up scads of accounts with their auto content matching. It's not so much the actual game content that gets matched, but snippets of music playing, sometimes just music playing in the background of a game.

One example I saw, someone had their let's play of GTA5 flagged as they turned on the in-car radio and a tune it was playing got caught by the auto content matching tool and the vid got flagged for copyright violation.

As the anonymous guy said, often the games makers themselves had no idea this was going on or why the take down notices were being sent out, and they agreed the videos being taken down were actually good for them in driving sales.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

You do know GTA5 said anyone can make videos of the game, but can not play ingame music or show ingame TV/movies.

2. Elmer Phud

Amused

I am amused as a friend who rants about NSA and the like posted this to me as soon as he saw it.

He's a GoogleFan and loves anything Google yet fails to see the irony.

3. localzuk Silver badge

Worrying

If they do this and keep it as its own thing, then that might work. Rolling it into Youtube would be terrible though, as the whole reason Twitch succeeded where so many haven't is the community. The best streams involve broadcasters who interact with the community. The moderators and admins are community members (eg. I'm a mod in a few channels). So, the site is mostly self-regulating.

Youtube simply does not have the same type of community in my experience. Its more about drive-by viewings than people consistently watching you every day.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Worrying

Youtube can already do this in part. It's just poorly supported or just plain not popular, as you say.

4. weebs

Day9 is a person, not a content channel.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Welcome to Twitch.tv!

You must sign in with your Google+ account to view live streams.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Welcome to Twitch.tv!

What's wrong with that? If Iwant to downdload anything from Microsoft I need a live Id. No difference.

Microsoft were also looking at buying twitch. Thank god Google got in there. Had Microsoft got it, it would be a pay xbox gold service that was made intentionally incompatible with Sony consoles.

6. Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

God no...

Please please no...

1. Buzzword

Re: God no...

"After consultation with young people of Vulture South's acquaintance it seems sensible to conclude watching other people playing games Is A Thing"

No. Just no. This is Brave New World's soma, or a virtual opium. It's even worse than watching Jackass or ancient repeats of Columbo. I despair for mankind.

1. localzuk Silver badge

@Buzzword - do you watch any sports? How does watching people use skills to compete in sports differ from watching people use skills to compete in video games?

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Exactly. Some of these guys are incredibly skilled, so you sit there in awe. I still ride my motorcycle, but I sure as hell am not a Valentino Rossi or a Marc Marquez.

Plus some of the "cinematic" videos done in Kerbal Space Program are certainly FAR FAR better than anything Hollywood's come up with in the past couple years. And of course there are the amusing "explodey rockets" ones too.

It's not just all watching PewDiePie.

2. weebs

Don't let the 1990's hit you on the way out.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

not just consoles

Twitch also allows streaming from PC's and it's actually quite easy to get that up and running - provided you have a powerful enough GPU and plenty of bandwith of course.

During the last couple of big Eve Online battles, thousands were watching the streams. CCP, the Icelandic company behind Eve Online has used Twitch to stream presentations, interviews and whatnot.

8. Smilin' Stan
    WTF?

No tech bubble here...

I'm going to create a new app called WTF, where users can post live screen-shot videos of themselves entering numbers into Excel spreadsheets. Got to be worth a few hundred mil, at a minimum.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like