back to article Why faff with a piddly microSD when there's a 2TB vault tempting your selfie-stuffed mobe?

There's been a storm of storage developments this week, so here's a round up of what you may have missed. Mobe, slab selfie vault capacity boosted Seagate's Wireless Plus devices for mobile gadgets now have three capacity points: 500GB, 1TB and 2TB – there was just a 1TB model before. These drives are meant to store media …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 7

Could be fun

my only worry is I have enough problems leaving the house carrying the coat that was over the coat with the phone in it when I felt it through the cloth - now I can probably leave the house with neither...

But the joy of not having a stupid little stick sticking out of my device with rounded corners...

2. jesterscup

1.5TB is enough for....

32 random lengths of string

The whispered sighs of 1,032 Atari E.T. cassettes

1 .wav file of undisclosed duration or bit-rate

98% of 1 windows loading screen

3. Gerhard den Hollander

interesting ....

what would be eally interesting if these wifi connectable devices wouold also show up as a UPnP device

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And

'Ken Klein, chairman and CEO at Tintri, said: "Imagine running hundreds of mixed workloads – SQL Server, Exchange, SharePoint, VDI and development and test – concurrently on a single Tintri VMstore. Imagine simultaneously deploying Hyper-V and other hypervisors on a single VMstore and being able to move VMs between them as needed."'

Imagine the carnage to your hundreds of VMs on that single VM store when it goes pear shaped.

5. Haku

2TB - $199.99 (£199.99 at today's exchange rate)

Fixed that for you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 2TB - $199.99 (£199.99 at today's exchange rate)

You are forgetting the 20% VAT on top of that,

It is also despite the FX gougers at UK Points of entry/departure offering the rate of 1GBP=1.5USD.

For far too many American companies still believe that 1USD=1GBP. IT is time that they were named and shamed.

{sitting a LHR waiting for my delayed flight to the Land of the Free. Pah}

6. h3

Best reason to not use one of those Vaults is so you don't need to carry a bag.

(Carrying it in a coat seems stupid - as much as I would rather not take a bag I am not interested in having a coat absolutely jammed full of stuff).

7. Craigie

10 hours battery

Why recharge one device twice a day when I can be recharging two?

No thanks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 10 hours battery

To be fair, if you're going to be using it constantly, you're likely going to be static, and that means you'll likely be near a mains point.

I'm looking at one for someone who needs a portable wireless-nas-in-a-portable-chassis for sharing data acquisitions from hardware on multiple sites; turn up, fire up Seagate Wireless thingy, half a dozen engineers connect to it, map as drive, one engineer grabs data from equipment, save to mapped drive, and the half-dozen other engineers there immediately have access to it without having to dick about with USB drives, versioning issues, etc. No internet access required for this either.

OK, niche usage case, but fits that niche nicely, it seems - certainly better than carrying a one-bay NAS and router around - or trying to share his laptop out as a file share, permissions issues, etc.

8. phil dude
    Happy

roadtrips?

USA is a big place, this might be nice to have in the car....

P.

1. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

Re: roadtrips?

> USA is a big place, this might be nice to have in the car....

My 500G Archos is still king of the hill in this respect.

A wireless hard drive is a nice idea... for geeks. For anyone else it's probably raising complexity a bit much.

9. MikeHuk

Nah! I prefer my Verbatim Wireless Mediashare

I have just Verbatim MediaShare Wireless Streaming Device to which I can put my own SD card, USB drive or even my portable Seagate portable 1TB drive(NTFS formated), I works brilliantly for videos/films, music, and documentswith my Ipad 4 and my Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Can also copy files to/from connected devices all for £30

10. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Devil

2 TB of tits, ass, fake smiles and vapid "girllfriends"?

Hell yeah!

11. NeilPost Silver badge

Synology

Or better still by a Synology 4 bay NAS, plug it in at home, enable (safe) remote access, and you can have up to 15Gb of RAID 5 love (with latest 5Tb disks just out), with a data plan on your phone - and from £15 with unlimited data and tethering on 3's One Plan, why not. Lose your wireless hard disk, and you are fucked.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. batteries

I hope these are using FePO4 or something heat resistant, or bad things (tm) could happen if these are left in someone's coat pocket and connected to the network.

10 hours isn't too bad, presumably it only spins up to do actual copying with a large memory buffer (multiple GB) tuned to copy the frequently accessed data similar to Apple's Ipod Classic.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like