back to article Happy 40th Playmobil: Reg looks back at small, rude world of our favourite tiny toys

How would you celebrate the 40th anniversary of Playmobil? Make a block booking, obviously. Leaving aside the fact that joke probably refers more to their minifig mates, El Reg is delighted to see that the toy is celebrating its 40th anniversary. Our love of the tiny happy figurines is longstanding and cannot be rationally …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. A K Stiles
    Mushroom

population growth

Never mind that they are making more Playmobil 'folk' every second than the human race does, they probably also don't reduce their population at anything like the rate we do either.

Frankly you're going to have to do much better (worse?) on the LOHAN test missions to try and bring the expiry figures into some sense of parity!

(icon for how the recent SPEARS mission didn't go...)

1. LarsG

Re: population growth

They breed like rabbits in my house........... No wonder they all have smiley faces.

2. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Re: population growth

I, for one, welcome our new plastic overlords.

2. Anonymous Custard

Village knight?

included knights, native Americans and builders - a combination not seen again until the rise of the Village People a few years afterwards.

Umm ok for the builder and the Native American, but there was never an armoured village person was there? Cop or a GI/solider yes, but never a knight that I can recall?

And on this subject, SPB aside, where have all the Playmobil reconstructions gone from el-Reg lately anyway??? But the Jetbag Speed racer figurine (it's what it says on his chest, honest guv) which is currently sat on my monitor stand here gladly accepted the birthday wishes :)

3. Roger Greenwood

"hearty big up to reader Robin"

If this was English I would salute it.

As it hails from somwhere near BBC R1 then can I say instead Thank you Robin.

1. Robin

Re: "hearty big up to reader Robin"

"Thank you Robin"

You're welcome! I couldn't let this story pass.

4. glen waverley

might be sacriligious but ...

http://xkcd.com/1281/

5. IT Drone

Numerical advantage but not by mass...

http://xkcd.com/1338/

6. Christian Berger

Of course there is a sad story behind it all

As someone who has been to the native country of the Playmobilians officially known as "Playmobil Funpark". It's a small enclave fully inside of Germany near the town of Zirndorf. It's easy to get visa, but they charge a small fee for them.

The Playmobil people actually seem to consist of several different races. The larger ones sell the smaller ones into slavery in large stores where the smaller ones are brought into degrading poses.

Since tourism is one of their main industries they do takes Euros as a currency. The natives don't actually do much, but they employ Germans to do much of the public work for them. I do have photographs somewhere.

1. Ol'Peculier
      Pint

Re: Of course there is a sad story behind it all

I'm off - they've got a beer garden

1. Christian Berger

Re: Of course there is a sad story behind it all

I believe next to it there's the Tucher Park, a park run by a brewery.

This topic is closed for new posts.