back to article When big biz is forced to compete: Now Microsoft latest to cut cloud prices

Microsoft will cut its Azure cloud prices after Amazon slashed its AWS prices in response to Google's cloud price cut. Redmond announced on Monday that it would lower its prices for cloud services between 27 and 65 percent on the April 3 in response to a wave of reductions that washed through the cloud industry after Google …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Julian Taylor

""Microsoft will continue to focus on bringing our customers a world-class service with an unrivaled user experience."

Had me going there for a second. Until I saw the drone/Apple piece I thought this might have been the poisson d'avril moment.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"A Linux-based Standard A5 instance with 14GB of memory, two CPU cores and up to 4TB of attached disk storage will fall from $0.320 per hour down to $0.22"

AKA $1927.2 /year

Storage*

Locally redundant storage: 1TB = 294.912 /year

Zone redundant storage: 1TB = 368.64 /year

Geo-redundant storage: 1TB = 589.824 /year

*Does not include cost of Azure bandwidth or your own bandwidth to move files.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Trevor_Pott

Not being a cloudy type, does that mean that the storage is extra? Do Amazon and Google have similar pricing structures, and if so how do they compare? I''ve tried having a quick look at MS's and Amazon's sites, but without taking a lot of time it's easier to ask here. Thanks.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: @Trevor_Pott

Some times storage is included in a VM package. Additional storage is extra. All depends on the AUUUGH! PRICING TENTACLE MONSTER!

./ded

3. Blarkon

Scorched Earth Pricing

It's scorched earth pricing from all three vendors - subsidize cloud to ensure other vendors can't get a foothold in the market.

4. RyokuMas
    Facepalm

Of course they all want us on the cloud...

... easier to scan our data that way.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like