back to article Apple vows to add racially diverse EMOJIS after MILEY CYRUS TWITTER outrage

Apple has vowed to tackle the lack of racial diversity in its emojis and will work with the Unicode Consortium to make the annoying little images more politically correct. MTV Act contacted Apple to ask them to make sure the emojis were more diverse. Currently, the human emojis are mostly pinkish. This will not do, roared MTV …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. hplasm
    Thumb Up

Well-

"We have filed a request with the government in the hope of launching our own petition demanding that British politicians ban the use emojis altogether."

This!

1. Bronek Kozicki
      Megaphone

WHERE

... is that petition, so I can sign up ?!

1. RealFred

Re: WHERE

Can we jail people who use them

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Well-

Well certainly all emojis that represent living beings, people or animals should be banned as Allah demands. I'm not sure of the Hadith position on "Smiling Turd" or Godzilla.

Personally I just want to see the tories and the Daily Mail demanding a fatwa.

3. sjsmoto

Politicians should be limited to a waffle or a flip-flop.

4. Eddy Ito

Can we make it an international effort so the rest of us can sign? I think it would be better to go through the IETF rather than working through they myriad bureaucracies of the UN and member states.

We got along just fine without the various flavors of :), ;(, :P and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ when I was a kid... rods to the hogshead and all that.

5. Mtech25

Can I add to that and ask them to ban Miley Cyrus, all mention of twerking, Justin Bieber and One Direction?

1. Ted Treen

Not fair: I can only up vote you once, and your discernment and obvious exquisite taste deserves multiple up votes!

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Beware, this could open a can of worms, next there will be a Jesus emojis followed by a Mohammed emojis...... All in the name of equality....

It could lead to a religious war.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You forgot the flying spaghetti monster. Heathen.

2. Matt 21

Wait a minute there......

All the letters I've just typed have come out black. I've checked nearly all the characters on this keyboard and not a single one has come out white apart from the very long key at the bottom and that's apparently just a "space".

Something should be done!

1. Peter Simpson 1
      Facepalm

Re: Wait a minute there......

Try to keep up here.

I had to look up "emoji" myself. Apparently, they're of Japanese origin (think smileys crossed with Hello Kitty). These are emoticons 3.0 -- and cover pretty much anything cute you might ever think of communicating. Especially things an 8 to 12 year old might think of.

Actually, *exclusively* things an 8 to 12 year old might think of.

Smiling Turd isn't my favorite, but it's right up there with Helpful Information Woman.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It also includes a "love hotel". What kind of 8 to 12-year-olds do you hang out with?

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Japanese ones? The age of consent is 13 there.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

All the ones I type come out green on a black background.

2014 - the year of VMS on the desktop

1. Tom 13
        Angel

Re: come out green on a black background.

HERETIC!!! Thou are not of the body!

Those who are of the body know they should be amber.

3. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"All the letters I've just typed have come out black."

...and monochrome is exactly how all the emojis *should* have been rendered (and *that's* assuming they were ever worth adding to the Unicode standard in the first place).

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Stop

Argh, nooo...

Android's default character set support is a robot pulling faces. This is humanist. We need to duplicate all robot faces with the exact same human faces and fill up more code points.

The race of the emoji depends on the font used to display the code point, not the code point itself. Apple could vary the emoji's race depending on the language or country.

1. John G Imrie

Re: Argh, nooo...

The Unicode Consortium explicitly states in the Unicode Specification that the colour of the character is not part of the standard. Anyway you can always use ☻

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

☻ looks like someone wearing blackface. Black people aren't actually that black.

1. JBowler

And white people aren't this white: :-), and, despite rumours to the contrary, we aren't always lying down and sleeping either.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That black smiley face has no nose and a creepy expression. I feel this represents the stereotypical image used for gollywogs and is therefore racist. I am not black myself but I can still find this offensive on behalf of me bruddas

1. MrT

Have a nice day...

...Forrest...

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's an interesting one. The official description of that character is BLACK SMILING FACE, but BLACK doesn't actually mean "black" here; it means something like "solid" or "mostly foreground colour". So if you're using green text on an orange background then the face is mostly green. Some other characters from the same region are described as BLACK DIAMOND SUIT and BLACK CHESS PAWN. Again, BLACK means "solid" or "mostly foreground colour". The official PDF uses black text on a white background: http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2600.pdf

4. Quotes
    Happy

"Personally, this reporter thinks using emojis is a crime in itself."

"We'll let you know how we get on. ®"

erm, what was the last character used in this article?

1. ratfox

whachoo talking about, Willis?

® is part of the enclosed alphanumerics block of Unicode. Very far from being an emoji.

5. Steve Todd

They already do

Orange, red and grey faces. It does smack of political correctness gone mad.

6. Semtex451
    Coat

Pe-yeeew

I have an emoticon (I'm too old to say emoji) for a coiled turd with eyes and a friendly smile.

What I want to know is, why it never shows up when I send it to random Android users?

What their shit don't smell?

Mines the one with the sticky pockets.

7. Amorous Cowherder
    Facepalm

The Simpsons?

Yellow faces don't seemed to have harmed Groening's TV show popularity?

Millions starving around the world, child abuse, sex slavery, etc and the West has it priorities bang-on when it starts using state of the art technology to argue about little yellow faces! FFS!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: The Simpsons?

LIBERALS: They want to fix reality and purge it of offensiveness. And no problem shall be left behind except the ones they create themselves.

1. Vociferous

Re: The Simpsons?

I'm a liberal but I have to admit that the culture of professional outrage is getting really, really, silly.

8. Irongut

So yellow smiley type characters are racist? Someone needs to tell these people to get a life.

I would sign a petition to make emojis illegal in the UK.

9. Flyberius

Wow. To think I had problems.

10. dannymot

I wouldn't want to be the one to have to design ethnically diverse emoji's. Politically correct/stereotyping minefield.

11. Vociferous

Miley cements her reputation as the dumbest starlet.

I hope she and Bieber get together and have lots of babies. We can never have enough vacuous bimbos in the world.

12. Miek
    Coat

All the emoticons on my phone are little green people, go figure.

13. Khaptain Silver badge

All Hail El Reg

Why is there not an El Reg emoticon ? I could be used to symbolise all the madness in the world. A bit like the Guy Fawkes = Anonymous relationship.

El Reg = All of the world's madness rolled into a vulture.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Optional (wtf is this??)

(BAH)

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mohammed and Allah

I want a Mohammed emoji and perhaps an Allah emoji as well.

1. MrT

Re: Mohammed and Allah

... I wouldn't want to be named as the artist on that character set... ;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And while they're at it they could also make Budha, Krishna, Mozes etc. emoticons...

1. Christoph

Where is the Flying Spaghetti Monster icon?

16. CT

Oh no, Unicode Consortium taken over by cats

Looking at the Unicode listing given in the link above:

1F638;GRINNING CAT FACE WITH SMILING EYES

1F639;CAT FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY

1F63A;SMILING CAT FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH

1F63B;SMILING CAT FACE WITH HEART-SHAPED EYES

1F63C;CAT FACE WITH WRY SMILE

1F63D;KISSING CAT FACE WITH CLOSED EYES

1F63E;POUTING CAT FACE

1F63F;CRYING CAT FACE

1F640;WEARY CAT FACE

1. Peter Simpson 1
      Facepalm

Re: Oh no, Unicode Consortium taken over by cats

...and to think: it's someone's job to manage that ^^^ list.

// wonder how much they're paid?

1. Tom 13
        Coat

Re: // wonder how much they're paid?

1 cat vid per item updated.

17. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Gotta love Apple

Judge for yourself, here's the Unicode reference for the "Emoticons" range - horrors, there is one.

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1F600.pdf

Not seeing a lot of colour in those sample images, and not seeing a lot of racial profiling in the descriptions either - for example, U+1F60D is described as "FACE SAVOURING DELICIOUS FOOD", not "WHITE MALE FACE SAVOURING DELICIOUS AND INHERENTLY SUPERIOR NON-ASIAN FOOD AFTER CONQUERING AN INFERIOR PEOPLE AND TAKING THEIR OIL". Probably an emoticon you'd use a lot of.

Perhaps they're still smarting from having their Apple logo banished to the private use area, or worse.

Colour me U+1F632.

18. thesykes

Hmmm

Apple, Miley Cyrus, Twitter, emoji and MTV

Think that list encapsulates the entire vacuous, air-headed, brainless bunch of worthless individuals on the planet.

1. Tom 13

Re: Hmmm

Not even close. But it might be a good start.

19. Clinton

Colour?

Are these people serious? Apple's response is just as clueless as the original request. Unicode DOESN'T SPECIFY COLOUR! As has been mentioned above, all of my "emojis" are green.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Colour?

THIS IS RACIST TO JAR JAR BINKS!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like