back to article Object Storage suppliers: Bikers? Dentists? Or Biker Dentists?

Do the object storage suppliers need to band together and collectively educate potential customers so that sales rise? Well, do they? The general perception at the Next Generation Object Storage Summit (NGOSS) in Los Angeles, March 4-5, was that people in general did not understand or appreciate what object storage could do …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alan Sharkey

Interesting analogy

As a biker myself, I can see the parallels. We are a misunderstood community by the public - they see drugs, fights and loose women, we see an organisation helping charities, with freedom to enjoy the thrills (and spills) of our leisure time.

As with Object Storage - I don't think the right message has got through to the buying public - they see a disparate collection of "something" which will probably do more harm than good. If a unified message could be got out with the real reasons why this is a good idea (and not just marketing babble), then OS can move forward. Anyone remember Cairo ?????

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought this is an interview with Sage Weil...

"These rebels need to find a cause, says the *Sage* of Storage"

3. Nate Amsden

not much demand

outside of very large service providers I think most of which do it themselves.

A file system may not scale to a trillion objects, so intead have 50 or 100 file systems(on many arrays if required). file or block interfaces are much easier to integrate and manage as well. no need to modify apps or special tools to use them.

if you are massive scale with custom apps then object storage makes sense but the # at that level is tiny(though the amount of storage that tiny # has is of course huge)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: not much demand

How do you know that object stores are hard to manage? You seem to be making a lot of assumptions here . . .

4. M7S

Biker Dentist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOtMizMQ6oM

1. Alister
      Thumb Up

Re: Biker Dentist

As soon as I read "Biker Dentist" that's what I thought of...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Biker Dentist

Beaten to it....

This topic is closed for new posts.