back to article Japanese boffins build 'earring PC' for hands-free computing

Japanese boffins have unveiled a prototype of a tiny 17 gram PC which can be worn like an earring and operated by facial expression. The awkwardly named “Earclip-type Wearable PC” is being developed at Hiroshima City University, according to AFP. Crammed onto the device are a chip,storage, GPS, compass, barometer, speaker, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. southpacificpom
    Childcatcher

Don't know about you guys but I'm getting seriously tired of all this shit coming out in the name of progress.

Then perhaps I'm getting too old.

1. TRT Silver badge

I saw some tiny, tiny, tiny video cube necklaces at a consumer show back in... 2007 I think it was. About the size of your thumb nail.

2. Vince Lewis 1

voices in my head

I've been using earpieces to help hide the voices in my head for years.

Now I can look even more chiq.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Wot, no pix

There should be at least one picture of this (potentially) charming fashion accessory, sported by a comely looking young women, probably.

Disappointed.

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Re: Wot, no pix

+1 - But only if it's PLAYMOBIL!!!!!!!

2. Grikath

The text is in dutch, but the pics prove the utter Fuglyness of the device...:

http://www.nu.nl/tech/3716674/oorgadget-besturen-met-knipoog-of-frons.html#

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

@Grikath

"The text is in dutch, but the pics prove the utter Fuglyness of the device...:"

Ohh.

Not really "earring" sized at all.

2. Nigel 3

Now I understand the meaning of "Fugly" !!!

4. Trygve Henriksen

Battery?

I wonder how long the battery lasts...

1. LarsG

Re: Battery?

23.3 sec

1. willi0000000

there will be an auxiliary battery pack available for extended use.

[unfortunately it clips on your other ear and the leads are threaded through your head to the side with the device]

2. jubtastic1

Batteries? where we're going we don't need batteries.

Sooner than you think if the hints dropped at the end of the pCell demo are anything to go by.

1. TRT Silver badge

If they get the power requirements down far enough, it could be a candidate for being powered by sweat or blood or something. Or tiny fans in the middle ear that you have to pump up by holding your nose and blowing up your eustachian tubes.

5. JDX Gold badge

Terminal

As described by the late Iain M. Banks.

1. jubtastic1

Re: Terminal

Exactly what I thought, term also used for, rings, pens, any small item easily carried by or on the user with a link to the local AI.

2. Elmer Phud
      Alien

Re: Terminal

How about Gridlinked?

(Neal Asher reference)

6. Horridbloke

Gurn-operated computing

I think some of the customers in my local Asda are already using this.

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: Gurn-operated computing

There'll be some confusion on Talk Like a Pirate Day

7. frank ly

Potential Problem

" A built-in accelerometer could then detect if the user falls over ..."

What if BBC Radio 2 starts playing some metal and the wearer starts 'headbanging' around the room?

1. K

Re: Potential Problem

Head banging to Radio 2 - thats when you know you have gotten old!

2. Chris G

Re: Potential Problem

Ah, listening to Golden Earring then?

When I were a lad ('60s '70s) I used to wear an earring, in fact I have still got the hole in my lobe, if this works I would prefer an earring whispering in my ear to a glass relaying info into one eye.

Whether or not we like things like Glass or this earring; they are going to be ubiquitous in the near future and everybody will be connected in a much more personal way than currently.

8. Elmer Phud

Excuse at last!

"Me? shouting at passers by?

No, just a poor recepton"

"Millennium hand and shrimp"

"What duck?"

9. Christoph

So to go with the people wandering along the road holding shouted conversations with thin air, we will now have people walking along, or sitting opposite on the tube, pulling a succession of weird grimaces so they can talk to their ears.

The world won't actually be full(er) of raving loonies, it will just seem that way.

1. monkeyfish

On the other hand, it will give the raving loonies a well deserved break. People will just assume they have the latest tech implant and move on.

10. sorry, what?
    Pint

A worthy idea

My dad is getting very deaf and also has, unfortunately, developed dementia. A device that can work as his hearing aid (something he is very used to and will continue to remember to do for quite a while) but also help him find his way home if he gets lost would be fantastic. OK, the major obstacle here is that he won't know it can help him get home.

However, if it has some form of connectivity whilst out and about it could be used as a GPS locator so worried relatives could still find him. Yes, a bit "big brother" but actually more "big son" and for a positively good reason.

11. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Future tech for tech's sake...

Bring on the Suppository PC. Pop it where the sun doesn't shine and it'll check your diet, seating position and buzz you when you get an email....

1. Irongut

Re: Future tech for tech's sake...

Headcrash by... oh I don't remember ask your shoes to look it up on Amazon. Very funny cyberpunk book although the VR interface sounds a bit painful.

1. monkeyfish

Re: Future tech for tech's sake...

If it buzzes where the sun doesn't shine every time you get an email, I can see a large uptick in willing spam signups.

12. Euripides Pants
    Thumb Up

operated by facial expression

Good for anyone desperately wanting to be nicknamed "Twitchy".

13. annodomini2

Surprised no one has mentioned Dr Who

This topic is closed for new posts.