back to article HP rides data center growth out of sludgy IT market

HP has reported better than expected financial results on the back of strong server sales and – unexpectedly – good performance in the struggling PC market. The IT company reported an earnings-per-share of $0.90 and a net revenue of $28.2 billion on Thursday for its first fiscal quarter results, beating analyst expectations of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

3par still growin strong

converged storage revenue up 42% year over year, last I saw HP considered that to be mostly 3PAR.

Traditional storage revenue down 17%.

2. ElPoto

Unlikely

You know. This result is likely because HP is a humongous wreckage with an infinite improbability drive. But it is unlikely that it will go anywhere, since it is still crewed by lots of vogons.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Unlikely

"However, HP's recovery has come at a cost – the company is in the process of laying off 34,000 workers"

As sad as it is that so many people were affected, the vast majority of this process is pretty much complete. Most of the online articles seem to suggest this process is just starting out, whereas it started worldwide over two years ago.

Just sayin'

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lack of understanding

ES revenues will continue to fall as the price model for alot of the group is based on direct charges to the customer on a direct per person basis, and if you sack the workers you can't charge.

4. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Boffin

Fear of a long PC lifecycle?

Just the other week, one of our projects involved a part of the business switching to Office 365, but noticed they were still buying full-fat desktop PCs rather than thin-clients or thinner PCs. When I asked the reseller he shrugged and said he has seen many such instances where customers are still buying hulking PCs instead of gear such as tablets. I guess many companies out there just like a heavy desktop seeing as the dip probably made them keep the last desktops they had for many more years than expected.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like