back to article Belkin patches WeMo bug

Belkin has published fixes for the flaws discovered by IOActive in its WeMo Home Automation system, and is urging users to download updated versions of its control apps from either the AppStore or Google Play. As discussed by The Register yesterday, the bugs opened a wide range of holes in the kit, including opportunities to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Home Automation - Security

Once upon a time.....I could go to Home Depot and buy a new deadlock for my house and install it. After that, I could go for years without even thinking about my new deadlock.

Today however, once I buy a "Home Security" system, I need to "download updated versions of ... control apps" - and that's if I even know that this is necessary!

I'm stuck with the "home security" version of Microsoft's Patch Tuesday.

Am I alone in thinking that this might not be proogress?

1. The Mole

Re: Home Automation - Security

You'll probably find on the web precise instructions of where to drill to disable the deadlock and/or how to pick the lock - potentially with little but a few scratch marks to detect someone has done it. You'll probably also find how easy it is to remove the glass from many type of double glazing units from the outside, and other ways for people to get into your house.

Just because you don't think about your deadlock doesn't mean it is inherently secure. That said home security does have the advantage that somebody actually has to be physically there to be breaking in which greatly increases the risk to them - which is the real deterrent not the actual lock.

2. Mike Moyle
    Coat

What sort of security does Belkin use...?

A WeMo WEP, A WeMo WEP!

A WeMo WEP, A WeMo WEP!

A WeMo WEP, A WeMo WEP!

A WeMo WEP, A WeMo WEP!

In the gadgets, the household gadgets,

The firewall sleeps tonight.

In the gadgets, the Web of Gadgets,

The firewall sleeps tonight.

O-oh --

A WeMo WEP, A WeMo WEP!

A WeMo WEP, A WeMo WEP!

A WeMo WEP, A WeMo WEP!

A WeMo WEP, A WeMo WEP!

(Sorry... Still a quart low on my morning coffee intake...)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like