back to article Speaking in Tech: $65 JUST for internet and my ISP has the BALLS to throttle a service?

speaking_in_tech Greg Knieriemen podcast enterprise This week in Speaking in Tech, your hosts Greg Knieriemen and Sarah Vela hold down the fort while Eddie Saipetch parties in Vegas. This week they are joined by special guest Joe Onisick, technical marketing engineer at Cisco, and shoot the breeze about everything from the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Schultz

'For the same price in South Korea, you get a fibre link to your home'

The statement is plain wrong. For $65 I get 3 month of fibre link in my home.

Jealous? You should be :).

1. Captain Scarlet
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: 'For the same price in South Korea, you get a fibre link to your home'

I hope the BOFH and PFY drop you below a server rooms raised floor >_<

2. petur

Telenet (Belgium) is just as bad

Charge a lot, piss-poor service.

They even manage to block all ports below 1024 and are incapable of putting their digital TV on a VLAN so it can pass through my router - requires a direct link.

3. sean.fr

And in Romania

I was in a Romanian village with no running water, horse drawn vehicles, AND internet fibre. If such Romanian villages have 100M and Gigabit 1 in the towns, there is no excuss in rich countries.

It is about sweating the assets.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: And in Romania

If by "sweating the assets" you mean "bend the customer over hard", then yes, that's exactly what it's all about.

4. John Tserkezis

I live in Australia. We have a promise of fibre, that will never actually happen in most areas.

The stop-gap measure is fibre to the node (AKA your local telephone exchange), and then copper to the home (AKA existing *DSL).

In other words, we're going to have the privelege of arguably paying more for *exactly* the same service we were getting before.

At least we have running water and horseless carriages. Well, depending on the area, mostly running what they call "water", and carriages that occasionally smash into each other...

1. jbuk1

I should imagine it's going to be something like BT fibre in the UK which is in-fact fibre to the green box on your road and the VHDSL from there to your house.

Not exactly the same as the standard DSL we're used to but still a bit of a cheek to call it a fibre connection.

2. MondoMan

Aussie "horseless carriages"

Come on, we all know from the Mad Max movies that you've got some pretty badass "horseless carriages" out there!

3. Diogenes

You have described the way the current telephone network works. Nodes will be no more than 500m from the home

5. MondoMan
    Alert

Ms. Vela's "enthusiastic" vocabulary this week

Wow! I'm so used to bleeps (most of my podcasts are of normo-broadcast shows) that I was cringing every time, subconsciously expecting the language censors.

This topic is closed for new posts.