back to article Europe shrugs off largest DDoS attack yet, traffic tops 400Gbps

Once again hackers are targeting content-delivery firm Cloudfare, and the company says this latest attack is its biggest yet, peaking at over 400Gbps of traffic. "Very big NTP reflection attack hitting us right now. Appears to be bigger than the #Spamhaus attack from last year. Mitigating," tweeted Cloudflare's CEO Matthew …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

i was part of a DDOS last week

I have a 1U server at a colo and my ISP contacted me last week saying they got reports that I was part of a NTP DDOS and that I need to fix my shit..

Which had me confused because the IP they claim that participated in the attack was the IPMI interface of my server.. (since I'm fairly limited in what I can put at the DC it's hard to put the IPMI device behind a firewall)

Upon further investigation it seems that the NTP client on the IPMI interface was less of a client and more of a client with a server attached.

After I disabled the NTP client the vulnerability was closed. I'm not expecting the vendor (Supermicro) to ever release a fix(server is a few years old) fortunately not having NTP on IPMI is not a big deal. The IPMI interface has a built in poor man's firewall though not sure if it would impact inbound NTP requests and I'm too worried to enable it in the event I need to connect to it from a network it is not configured to recognize.

The support team at my ISP gave me a handy command to verify whether or not you could be impacted(not sure if this means you are vulnerable or if it means there is just a possibility)

ntpdc -n -c monlist <IP>

And sure enough with the NTP *client* enabled on the IPMI interface (well web-based IPMI) the system responded, like a server would respond (I guess, haven't spent any time researching this)

Anyway found it strange/stupid that something that claimed to be a client only would be vulnerable enough to participate in an attack.

At my company we were indirect victims of a NTP based DDOS on 1/2/14 when our upstream ISP got hit by a 100Gbps attack for another customer (am assuming it was a gaming company). They handled it pretty well, not a big impact to us(spotty VPN connections, occasional site connectivity errors) but our bandwidth usage is pretty small.

2. Vociferous

Is it that utter cunt Kamphuis already out of prison (again)? Or is it the Russians punishing the EU for interfering with the Russian annexation of Ukraine?

1. asdf
      Mushroom

Not to interfere with a good rant but keep believing NATO doesn't have as dirty of hands as Russia in Ukraine.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Not to interfere with a good rant but keep believing NATO doesn't have as dirty of hands as Russia in Ukraine."

It seems unlikely that NATO can top the 1932/1932 man-made famine in Ukrainian SSR that killed 2.4 million to 7.5 million people. The tried to keep survivors to minimum by convicting 2,500 of cannibalism, and putting up "To eat your own children is a barbarian act" posters. Stalin really set the bar high. I don't think NATO has the organizational capacity to top him.

1. Mephistro

(@ AC)

"It seems unlikely that NATO can top the 1932/1932 man-made famine..."

Different people, different governments, and a fecking different century. We should stop using old 'Historical wrongs'- like the Gomolodor- to justify politicians sweeping ethics under the rug.

And while Putin and his chums in the Russian govt are a bunch of crooked bastards, putting them in the same basket with Stalin doesn't add anything (good) to the issue at hand.

2. Vociferous

> believing NATO doesn't have as dirty of hands as Russia in Ukraine

Really? Could you remind me the last time the NATO tried to assassinate a ukrainian politician like Russia did in 2004 with minister Yuschchenko? When was the last time the NATO stopped vital gas and oil deliveries to Ukraine to punish it for political decisions it didn't like, as Russia did in 2009? Or when NATO threatened to intervene militarily in the Ukraine if the government fell, as Putin did last week?

You know that the US diplomat in the Ukraine said "fuck them" about the EU, but do you know that she said it because she was frustrated with EU's inability to act to help Ukraine against Russia?

1. Mike Smith
          Mushroom

"do you know that she said it because she was frustrated with EU's inability to act to help Ukraine against Russia?"

She can be as frustrated as she likes but she can still STFU and FOAD. Ukraine is next door to the EU and a long way away from The Land Of The Free (TM). Advice from the US about dealing with Ukraine is neither required nor desired.

The 'inability' could be more like unwillingness to risk a confrontation; after all, Europe does have just a leetle bit more experience in what armed conflict means than the US does. See icon.

1. Vociferous

> The 'inability' could be more like unwillingness to risk a confrontation

The inability is fear. Large parts of the EU (e.g. Italy, France and Germany) are completely dependent on Russian gas, and Russia has on numerous occasions shown that it will shut off gas deliveries at the slightest provocation.

1. Mike Smith

"The inability is fear."

Or perhaps a bit of realpolitik, which says that it's better to have Russia as a trading partner than The Enemy (TM) and not to poke our noses into the affairs of a country outside the EU. Europe abandoned imposing democracy at gunpoint a while ago.

2. Vociferous

> is it the Russians punishing the EU for interfering with the Russian annexation of Ukraine?

A week later and no one will publicly even speculate about who was behind the attack; a sure sign that it was state-sponsored. I'd say I called it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like