back to article NSA: It's TRUE, we grab 200 MILLION of your text messages A DAY globally

Documents leaked by whistleblower Edward Snowden have detailed the operation of an NSA system called Dishfire that collects, stores and analyzes 200 million text messages a day from around the world. dishfire Dishfire ... Here's what your text messages tell the snoops (Source: Guardian/Snowden) According to two slides …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge
    Pint

If you have nothing to hide you probably don't have enough beer. :)

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Or don't know enough Clash lyrics (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/03/text_punk/)

I suppose back in 2004 they could eavesdrop on ALL messages

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. BillG
      Pint

The Last Secure Option

And if you do have something to hide - use a landline!

1. Anonymaus Cowark

Re: The Last Secure Option

That is not sufficiently secure either since the telco have boxes that allow to snoop on normal landlines aswell. If you have to send a note write it encrypted on paper and sent it with a pigeon or raven.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

"If you have to send a note write it encrypted on paper and sent it with a pigeon or raven."

What if they shoot the pigeon and take the text to Bletchley Park? Again, not secure.

Semaphore, that's probably the most secure way to deliver a message. Or Morris dancing.

1. DropBear
            Joke

"What if they shoot the pigeon and take the text to Bletchley Park? Again, not secure."

It is if it was encrypted with a one-time pad. Me, I even encrypt my passwords (twice!) via ROT-13...

1. Werner Heisenberg
              Joke

"Me, I even encrypt my passwords (twice!) via ROT-13..."

Meh, only twice?

I always ROT-13 exactly twenty-four times - show me a supercomputer that can decrypt THAT!

2. TheMidnighToker

> Semaphore, that's probably the most secure way to deliver a message

Read Terry Pratchett's Going Postal -clacks and by extension Semaphore are extremely prone to MitM attacks ;)

1. wolfetone Silver badge

"Read Terry Pratchett's Going Postal -clacks and by extension Semaphore are extremely prone to MitM attacks ;)"

Then, we have no other choice: Don't send anything.

1. cortland

Two can keep a secret -- if one of them is dead. Right?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: The Last Secure Option - land lines?

Pretty sure the technology to tap land lines has been around and in use for some time.

I know of a system at a large Australian telco that's capable of recording 1 million concurrent calls - I'd guess that the same multinational has similar systems in other countries.

3. Bloakey1

"That is not sufficiently secure either since the telco have boxes that allow to snoop on normal landlines aswell. If you have to send a note write it encrypted on paper and sent it with a pigeon or raven."

rfc2549 ?

Nahh, they are just carriers. you need something with a defensive and attack capability, I would suggest owls or eagle.

Not bald headed eagles as they have been p0wned by the NSA.

4. jgarbo
          Devil

...only if you're certain the pigeon hasn't been turned...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

yes because plugging into a wiring frame or tapping an ISDN line is so hard.....

3. Oh Homer
      Headmaster

If they've done nothing wrong...

Then what does the NSA have to hide?

4. dogged

My new hobby - buying a £10 PAYG phone and sending 1000 texts to random numbers all containing the single message - "we are go, bomb the Pentagon".

2. nuked

That's a lot of border crossings in a day...

The other 5.5 billion texts are probably generated by NSA spyware. Always wondered why contracts offered 2-3k free texts a month...

1. Annihilator

"Always wondered why contracts offered 2-3k free texts a month..."

Because it costs mobile networks about a penny per thousand texts. Each text is about 140 bytes - it's the golden egg of mobile comms which thankfully other apps are replacing.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

> That's a lot of border crossings in a day...

Not really... that looks like just "roaming happened".. but the roaming info indicates which subset to geolocate & check for an actual border crossing. Less strain on the NSA data center.

3. Alpha Tony

@a lot of border crossings a day

Not necessarily. Driving around near a country border can cause your phone to roam back and forth between cell towers on either side, which could be interpreted as repeatedly crossing the border and for people that live near the border this would be going on all the time.

Borders in Europe are completely porous anyway, so people that live near one may well legitimately cross it lots of times a day anyway..

3. petur
    Meh

Neat trick!

1) Country A and B both have laws that prevent easy snooping on own citizens

2) Country A and B snoop on each others citizens

3) Country A and B share said snooping data

Bingo! Snooping on your own citizens without breaking the law!

1. nuked

Re: Neat trick!

If only we had some kind of 'special' relationship...

1. jgarbo
        Unhappy

>>If only we had some kind of 'special' relationship...

We do. Bend over and I'll show you...

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

1, Country A and B have laws against torturing suspects

2, So you ship them to country C and have them apply the electrodes

2, You stand outside the door asking the questions.

4. oldtaku Silver badge
    Unhappy

Sadly, is there anyone who is even remotely surprised by this? I just assumed this was already covered. Good to have it confirmed, of course.

1. Amorous Cowherder
      Thumb Up

Me too! I was convinced the The Reg told us this was going on a few years back, all thanks to NATO and especially the UK's "special" relationship with Uncle Sam.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just think - Apple (iMessage), Blackberry (BBM) and WhatsApp are making it even easier for NSA to harvest the data, all kept in one handy location.

Still - it's free eh?... :-\

1. petur
      Black Helicopters

"Just think - Apple (iMessage), Blackberry (BBM) and WhatsApp are making it even easier for NSA to harvest the data, all kept in one handy location.

Still - it's free eh?... :-\"

At least you have choice, you can also use Viber and your data will go to Israel ;)

2. Jess

(BBM)

Canadian owned. What are the security implications?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: (BBM)

No worries with BBM.

They're only the holder of the patent for RSA's backdoor algorithm [1] and I'm sure have been reported as handing over bulk messages as the request of various nation stations.

6. batfastad

Tragic

It's tragic that so much money and man-power goes into this stuff. Haven't governments these days got anything better to do?

1. Psyx

Re: Tragic

"It's tragic that so much money and man-power goes into this stuff."

In the grand scheme of things, it's spare change down the back of the sofa.

And the intel community will tell you that it's woefully underfunded these days... partly due to this kind of thing. COMINT is such a big deal these days that other forms of intel get sidelined.

To my mind it's more worrying how much is spent on the military compared to how much is spent on intelligence, international diplomacy and aid. If we spent all the cash we spend on war-toys on finding out what other nations are doing, rooting out trouble before it hit the fan, making other nations happy and reducing international poverty then there'd be less people pissed off at us, and less requirement for all those tanks.

2. jgarbo
      Big Brother

Better than controlling the world? Are you new?

1. batfastad

Ha ha, fair enough. Good point, well made!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you've done nothing wrong, you obviously need to live a little more dangerously.

1. Javapapa

"If we say we have done nothing wrong, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."

I John 1:8 (ESV, slightly modified)

8. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Usual NSA BS

"Targetted surveillance" Blah Blah.

9. tom dial Silver badge

"You should assume every government in the world is spying on SMS messages that pass through their borders," Jon Callas, CTO of secure messaging biz Silent Circle told The Register.

Could this possibly be a wee hint that the moral panic over NSA and GCHQ is beginning to peak? The uproar, or not, over President Obama's retuning to be announced tomorrow may give further indication.

10. Mark 85

If you've done nothing wrong, you're not alive nor have you ever been.

11. Eponymous Cowherd

Targets

"'Specifically deployed against – and only against – valid foreign intelligence targets'"

"Wird nicht in der heute, brach mir das Bein Skifahren. Angela"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Targets

OH, the HUMANITY!

Subject: Dear Respected One,

Dear Respected One,

GREETINGS,

Permit me to inform you of my desire of going into business relationship with you. I got your contact from the International web site directory. I prayed over it and selected your name among other names due to it's esteeming nature and the recommendations given to me as a reputable and trust worthy person I can do business with and by the recommendations I must not hesitate to confide in you for this simple and sincere business.

I am Wumi Abdul; the only Daughter of late Mr and Mrs George Abdul. My father was a very wealthy cocoa merchant in Abidjan,the economic capital of Ivory Coast before he was poisoned to death by his business associates on one of their outing to discus on a business deal. When my mother died on the 21st October 1984, my father took me and my younger brother HASSAN special because we are motherless. Before the death of my father on 30th June 2002 in a private hospital here in Abidjan. He secretly called me on his bedside and told me that he has a sum of $12.500.000 (Twelve Million, five hundred thousand dollars) left in a suspense account in a local Bank here in Abidjan, that he used my name as his first Daughter for the next of kin in deposit of the fund.

He also explained to me that it was because of this wealth and some huge amount of money his business associates supposed to balance his from the deal they had that he was poisoned by his business associates, that I should seek for a God fearing foreign partner in a country of my choice where I will transfer this money and use it for investment purpose, (such as real estate management). Sir, we are honourably seeking your assistance in the following ways.

1) To provide a Bank account where this money would be transferred to.

2) To serve as the guardian of this since I am a girl of 26 years.

Moreover Sir, we are willing to offer you 15% of the sum as compensation for effort input after the successful transfer of this fund to your designate account overseas. please feel free to contact ,me via this email address

wumi1000abdul@yahoo.com

Anticipating to hear from you soon.

Thanks and God Bless.

Best regards.

Miss Wumi Abdul

PLEASE FOR PRIVATE AND SECURITY REASONS,REPLY ME VIA EMAIL:

wumi1000abdul@yahoo.com

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Even if it were effective...

...it would be a violation of the Constitution of the United States. President Obama, of course, hates our constitution and is wont to stamp on it every chance he gets. I daresay that King George III was a better president than this vituperative buffoon we are suffering with at present.

Alas, the people in oppostion to him, John Boener and Mitch McConnel, Eric Cantor and John McCain, are even worse. All of them have rolled over and played dead in the face of Obama's misbehavior. John McCain and John Boener are especially annoying to me personally. It seems that they go welll out of their way to spit on those of us who value the Constitution of the United States as it was written and are serious about our beliefs. Eric Cantor wanted an entire decade to blance the budget, even though he knows damned good and well that would be five terms for a representative, two terms for a senator and more than two presidential terms. A ten year plan is clearly unworakable on the face of it and it could not be clearer to anyone with any sense that he is lying through his teeth and is a great actor rather than being the great politician he claims to be. Everyone we have elected is scum or is fast becoming scum. They, all of our elected officials, pay no attention to the restraints that the our Constitution places on them, and they laugh the matter off as though it were of no consequence. However, it is of consequence. And, Hillary, yes it does matter and it matters a great deal.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

@Billy Catriger

<long rant snipped >

This is what happens when you roll out rural broadband.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @Billy Catriger

Can you say, "implied ad hominem? I thought so.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

I was under the impression that the US Constitution was now just a historical document superceded by the Patriot Act etc. ?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

President Obama agrees with you.

2. Psyx

He probably can't and certainly doesn't know what it means.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

President Obama most certainly does understand it. He taught constitutional law in Chicago.

2. Eponymous Cowherd

Re: Even if it were effective...

Hark, I hear banjos.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like