back to article HDDs? Array with them... All-flash pusher Pure on its plans for 2014

All-flash array startup Pure Storage claims it is now IPO-sized in revenue terms and boasts of a coming fourfold increase in array capacity. Stifel Nicolaus MD Aaron Rakers hosted a call with Scott Dietzen, Pure's CEO, and circulated the following nuggets about Pure's position in the array market. The Pure Storage roadmap …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now serving -- fast data with data reduction only.

YAWN!!!! So far the conversation has only been about data reduction to get to what has become a higher price / GB than the hybrid guys. My prediction for 2014 is that people realize the mickey mouse vaughalism is wearing-out.

Claimed $/GB -- $3-$6/GB (with 6:1 to say 4:1 reduction) which leads us to raw $/GB of $18-$24/GB (GASP!). Please correct me if I am wrong, so we aren't guessing.

Competitors: VMAX, 3PAR, VSP, DS8000 (really... pure for high-end AIX and mainframe deployments?), HE VNX with $2/GB (raw or post-reduction which they call effective. Pure--hope you know the VNX can compress block too right?).

Someone left out the EF550 (guess that's not cool enough for Pure to compare against).

My recommendation is to first get the ball rolling on the data management before say tooting the horn too much about $/GB otherwise we will have another broken violin on our hands :^|

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Now serving -- fast data with data reduction only.

we recently tested many of the all flash systems out there and trust me unless the EF550 is a lot better than the EF540 they dont have anything to worry about there it was often hours slower running some of our tests than other flash kits. As far as the data reduction we saw in our tests we are currently about 8.8 to 1 with our VMs on the pure kit.

Anonymous because my employer asks us to be.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Understand about your employer wanting you to be anonymous. Of course we trust you. Why wouldn't why trust anyone in here?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Looks like we have a vendor reply fest going on here! I am interested in a reply to the OP's question -- pure needs to share some concrete $/GB numbers. Otherwise they risk the perception of plaguing everyone else.

I think Skyera made the ballsy move of sharing their list publicly. Why not go with them versus pure storage?

I don't work for skyera

2. Man Mountain

Considering they claim 6:1 for average environments giving $3-6 per GB but as low as $2 per GB for VM then your 8.8:1 for VM puts their figures in doubt!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Need more

Well lets see...Assuming 22 disk configs and median pricing at 175k then best case scenario no more than 450 systems total and ~80mil run rate. Not good enough for an IPO splash. I'm not sure they'll do an IPO before the end of 2014.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All Flash Array vendors lining up for IPOs = Lemmings

This topic is closed for new posts.