back to article China's Jade Rabbit takes great hop for mankind

China’s first lunar rover, dubbed Yutu or "Jade Rabbit", has finally left the hutch today as part of the Chang’e 3 mission to become the first Moon landing probe sent up by the People’s Republic. Given the ground-breaking nature of the flight, several of the country’s biggest names in technology were there to lend their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Big thumbs up to the Chinese

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Yutu (is there a U2 fan in the team? ;-) )

1. Turtle

Yutu

"'China’s first lunar rover, dubbed Yutu or 'Jade Rabbit' ... is there a U2 fan in the team?"

If there was, then Yutu would be translated "Jack Ass". In honor of Bono, of course.

2. Shonko Kid
    Joke

They've sent a Jade Rabbit to the moon?

Have they got some secret intel that leads them to suspect that the female clangers are overly frustrated?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: They've sent a Jade Rabbit to the moon?

No. But apparently Mrs Spoon is a right goer!

3. NomNomNom

"a Chinese myth in which deity Chang’e swallows a magic pill and is carried up to the Moon, along with her pet rabbit Yutu."

That happened to me at a festival once

4. btrower

Houston, we have a problem

Once we start sending people, what if they get there and some alleged patent holder gets an injunction? Are they allowed to come back first or do they have to hope their oxygen can last through trials and appeals?

You just *know* there is something in the Chinese space program eligible for patent harassment.

5. i like crisps
    Alien

"GET ORF MY LAND"

Doesn't someone "OWN" the MOON....wonder how they feel about all the Trespassing going on? I'd get my PURDY out and fuck-it off.

6. i like crisps
    Alien

Oh yeah....while i think on....

...If China's Mission Control is reading this, would you kindly point your Rover towards the "Sea of Tranquility" and clear up a debate once and for all.

7. arctic_haze
    Thumb Up

God speed Jade Rabbit!

This crystal member of the the Leporidae is the most interesting Lunar mission in decades.

8. Alan Brown Silver badge

You can see the rabbit

It's a well known legend and the rabbit shape is one of the first I made out as a child looking at our satellite.

"rabbit in the moon" images for the uninitiated. :)

Some other legends are pretty weird. Maori tell about the woman on the moon - kidnapped by the moon after cursing him for hiding behind clouds as she walked in the dark.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like