back to article China: 'JADE RABBIT' will be FOUND ON MOON

China is hoping to land its first rover, Yutu or the Jade Rabbit, on the Moon next month as part of the third stage of its lunar missions. Jade Rabbit or Yutu lunar rover The country's first lunar buggy will be called Jade Rabbit after an online poll to pick its name chose the moniker from Chinese folklore. China's lunar …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Freedom Fag

The party has a new religion? What will happen to the Gods of the Quick Buck?

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Joke

Rabbit?

What will it's first instruction be: "Go forth and multiply"?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll keep my fingers crossed for their mission. It is great to see more people get involved in serious space exploration.

3. Oliver Mayes

"Jade Rabbit"

So they're using the same naming convention as every chinese restaurant then? Two seemingly random words joined together. There's a "Turquoise Kebab" near here, and an "Easy Happy"

1. Colin Miller

Some cultures thought that it was a hare or rabbit on the moon, not a man. The Celts thought it was a hare (rabbits were brought to Britain by the Romans). Most of the far-East cultures think that it is a rabbit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_rabbit

1. NomNomNom

Fortunately the christian church made sure to beat all mythology and folklore out of us. I think the attitude was "did Jesus ever go to the moon? No, then STFU about it you blasphemer"

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Joke

Has to be said.

They won't be running that on a pair of AA's

5. Fenton

Sounds Like...

Something you can buy in the Adult toy department at Selfridges.

6. Cheesenough
    Meh

Why no picture of the real thing?

The picture is obviously of a mock up of the rover - the wheels appear to be attached to a shape cut out of a sheet of black plastic and the communications dish looks a little shonky. I would have thought that if they're planning to launch this next month, they would be well along with the construction of the real thing by now.

Is this whole project really just a publicity stunt for boosting Chinese national pride?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Why no picture of the real thing?

This is not Iran.

Nevertheless, if this goes haywire, they are bound to sulk and do something rebellious, like a pillow fight in the pacific.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like