back to article Oracle pens recipe for tweeting turkey in Raspberry Pi sauce

Oracle has started to publish a multi-part recipe for tweeting turkey in Raspberry Pi sauce, to allow those celebrating Thanksgiving with a poultry feast the chance to share their bird's status on the avian social network. If all goes well, the embedded app for your Raspberry Pi will send out tweets updating on the status of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tweets from my Pi?

not frigging likely.

Sigh. Even more useless chirps coming from those who feel the need to 'tweet' their mundane if not inanely boring and sad existence to whoever can be bothered to listen (apart from the NSA/GCHQ/FSB/etc that is).

1. cyborg
      Trollface

Re: Tweets from my Pi?

This might be useful if I need to cook a turkey on the other side of the world though and need a way of being able to access the data from anywhere. Because the liklihood that I'll be a few metres away from my cooking food is low otherwise.

2. Lamont Cranston

Re: Tweets from my Pi?

Isn't this just the sort of hardware hack that the Pi was designed for? Never mind the ends, just focus of the means!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

?????

This story confuses me on so many levels.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ?????

Seems Oracle is concerned that all the kiddies in schools are learning on Pi's that and that currently they're likely to be learning in the most common language on the Pi - Python. This is baaaaad for Oracle, so they're desperate to promote that java runs on Pi's too.

3. btrower

I like it

This is dead simple, but still amusing.

It is inevitable that the Internet of Things will come to life and I can't wait. Well, the privacy implications are a little disturbing but that will happen with or without the rest of the world's devices going online.

Already, it should be cheaper to tool up a line and produce only net enabled devices than it is to tool up two lines one with, one without. If that is not already the case it soon will be. This could create incredible savings just in dumb stuff like light bulbs turning themselves off when they are not needed.

Does crime fall when people know they are being watched? Yes.

Those of us who have been alive for a long time have seen the effects of accelerating changes in technology. Each advance moves everything forward. We are at or near a point where things like cell phones are becoming obsolete before their users can even properly learn to use them.

I think this stuff will make the world better; but even if it doesn't it will sure make the world more interesting.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: I like it

All I can say is

Bring back Pentodes and proper Analogue Computers, positive feedback included.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        Coat

Mine's the one with the 1 valve autodyne reciever in the pocket.

2. Captain Hogwash
      Facepalm

Re: Does crime fall when people know they are being watched? Yes.

Is the sense of psychological well-being of anyone but a narcissistic exhibitionist degraded by the knowledge that they are being watched all the time? Yes.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Does crime fall when people know they are being watched? Yes.

AFAIK this is not true. It was initially the case as CCTV was installed all over the place. However, as the whole thing means more officers watching screens and, therefore, not being on the beat or investigating, the effect was limited. Control studies from places without CCTV mania also suggest that the effect was only correlative. The key is whether potential offenders think they may be caught.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"the whole thing means more officers watching screens and, therefore, not being on the beat or investigating,"

Fact check: in most UK public CCTV installations (urban streets, retail centres, etc), the people doing the watching are not police officers. There are presumably other reasons they are not on the beat or investigating.

4. b166er

Not the first time some poor turkey has been probed by a hole in Java

5. Mr Anonymous

Arduino

Les time, less money, less code, same result.

6. Eddy Ito

A little off

The probe reads to 115 °C which is fine but the page says 150 °C (302 °F) is the max temperature it can tolerate. I don't know about anyone else but my oven isn't that accurate and I'm a fan of the two temp method, starting at 475 °F (as high as my current oven goes) for about a half hour then backing off to 350 °F to finish. That means I won't be using this probe for a turkey but a braised brisket, maybe.

7. Stevie

Bah!

I read the article twice and still don't understand what it is about.

To paraphrase Don Washington: "Alas, your speech is too cunning for me."

8. Herby

Not blow by blow, but...

Degree by degree. Internal temp of the celebratory beast.

Now if they could just do a 3D printing of a tasty edible turkey we might be able to feed the world. I suspect that "tasty" and "edible" are a ways off!

9. SVV

Wrong network

Turkeys send out gobbles not tweets as far as I recall. However, I am too scared to check out if there exists a site called Gobbler for fear of what it may entail.

This is a strong candidate for the most pointless use of tech ever, and I am delighted that the new proud owners of Twitter shares will be able to watch with pride as their site fills up with entries reading "WHOAH! Turkey temp : 100C", "Turkey temp : 104C LOL", etc.

Is there a Twitter API whereby one can harvest the account details of those actually following such wonderment and subsequently not ever have to interact with them again?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like